The recent play of Amare

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Anyone else think it is simply a result of the Suns involving him more in the offense?

In the beginning of the season with Frye in the line-up there were stretches when he wouldn't touch the ball for an entire quarter and the Suns would just hoist up one 3 after another.

Now it looks like the Suns are back to a much more balanced approach on offense and it pays off. Lopez is producing and Amare is back to old level of play.

At this rate the Suns are best served keeping Amare and look at their options in the offseason unless Amare agrees to a reasonable extension now. 4 years for 60M$ would be reasonable in my opinion.
If they can't re-sign him you can still work out a sign and trade which probably could net us more than the deals discussed right now.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
That's easy thing with Amare, he is more focused when he is involved in the offense it affects his overall play.

When he is not involved he loses focus and interest in the whole game and plays much worse.

Evidence for that is that he had just 3 30+ scoring games this season. In past seasons he would have 20-25 games like that at this point. Get him the ball on offense and he starts producing.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please... just because he decides to show up the last few games lets not get silly and start talking about extending this guy. We know his focus won't last NEVER has, keep feeding him the ball to get his trade value up and then dump him!

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
They kept feeding him in the 4th qtr last night but he missed most of his shots (especially that awkward looking hook shot). I think he just gets tired and doesn't focus.

That and all his fumbling leads me to believe he still hasn't gotten used to the goggles.

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe. Explain is rebounding though.
He's more motivated to get rebounds because he gets his offensive touches and feels good about himself at the OFFENSIVE end. Basically offense fuels his defense unlike most other players.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
They kept feeding him in the 4th qtr last night but he missed most of his shots (especially that awkward looking hook shot). I think he just gets tired and doesn't focus.

That and all his fumbling leads me to believe he still hasn't gotten used to the goggles.

???

He wasn't even in the game until like 4min left in the 4th quarter because they were up by 20.

Are you going to complain about his play last night? Because clearly he was the Suns best player on both ends of the court last night.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Watching him play with Lopez has made me think maybe extending Amare isn't a terrible idea. Lopez is an ideal foil for Amare's skill set.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Watching him play with Lopez has made me think maybe extending Amare isn't a terrible idea. Lopez is an ideal foil for Amare's skill set.

I agree the Suns main focus should still be finding a reasonable agreement with Amare about an extension.

Especially if there are no great offers for him.

Another thing Chad Ford wrote today is that one key in contract negotiations with Amare is that he is asking Sarver for a commitment to keep spending in order to keep the team competitive because he doesn't want to sign long term with a lottery team that won't spend to get back in contention.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
???

He wasn't even in the game until like 4min left in the 4th quarter because they were up by 20.

Are you going to complain about his play last night? Because clearly he was the Suns best player on both ends of the court last night.

Alright, that's stretching it a bit.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think somebody told Amare that he needs to start playing like a max player if he wants to get a max contract.

When you quit because your feelings are hurt teams will not trust you.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think somebody told Amare that he needs to start playing like a max player if he wants to get a max contract.

When you quit because your feelings are hurt teams will not trust you.

Can he really get the max, even if he plays like that on most nights than not? I don't think so, his injury has really affected his ceiling and he needs to be reasonable and stop demanding max contract especially if he wants Sarver to spend to make the team better.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
??
He was Suns best player on both end of the floor yesterday and top two or three in their last three contest, imo.

other than maybe Nash, shouldn't he always be the best Suns' player in the court?

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Amare's defense last night was decent, but he still gave up a few scores a better defender would not give up for the sake of not risking a foul.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can he really get the max, even if he plays like that on most nights than not? I don't think so, his injury has really affected his ceiling and he needs to be reasonable and stop demanding max contract especially if he wants Sarver to spend to make the team better.
his injury actually raised his ceiling, before the injury he was all athleticism.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Regardless, playing poorly does not help his negotiating position.

No matter who he ends up negotiating with.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I predict that the Suns will extend Stoudemire, Lopez will continue to improve as his rookie deal finishes up, and then the Suns will have to let Lopez go because they can't afford two high-salaried big men.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
his injury actually raised his ceiling, before the injury he was all athleticism.

Gee, then I guess every young athletic big man should get his knee wrecked on purpose. Sort of like pitchers with Tommy John surgery.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I predict that the Suns will extend Stoudemire, Lopez will continue to improve as his rookie deal finishes up, and then the Suns will have to let Lopez go because they can't afford two high-salaried big men.

If I were the Suns, I'd show a little foresight and sign Lopez to a moderate extension now. Lopez and Amare work for the same reasons I've always wanted to get Tyson Chandler; they don't steal touches from Amare, which keeps him active, and can account for his weaknesses in defense and rebounding.

I must say I've been really impressed with what Lopez has been bringing as of late. He's still incredibly awkward, but has excellent size and is one of the few true centers left. He's also shown much better touch around the rim and is the only Suns player in recent memory willing to put someone on their ass.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I'm sick of this myth. Amare was improving rapidly each year before he blew out his knee. There's no indication his shot, passing, defense would have been worse had he not blown out the knee. His passing and defense are abysmal with his "raised ceiling." They couldn't be much worse if he have good knees.

Without the knee injuries, Amare would probably be a 25/10 guy or better. Remember all the talk of him revolutionizing the PF position? He probably would have been more motivated to improve if he still had that athletic potential.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If I were the Suns, I'd show a little foresight and sign Lopez to a moderate extension now. Lopez and Amare work for the same reasons I've always wanted to get Tyson Chandler; they don't steal touches from Amare, which keeps him active, and can account for his weaknesses in defense and rebounding.

Yeah, they need to extend him ASAP before he gets a Dampier contract from some other team. I think rookie-scale contracts are pretty much determined for the first 4 years or so, so when can they even extend him?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, they need to extend him ASAP before he gets a Dampier contract from some other team. I think rookie-scale contracts are pretty much determined for the first 4 years or so, so when can they even extend him?
I think Lopez will be eligible for an extension following his fourth season, assuming the Suns pick up his fourth-year option.
It's possible, but I am doubtful the Suns will extend Amare at the max and right now Amare doesn't seem willing to take anything less.

With regards to his recent performance, I think it's great that he is motivated again for the time being, but he should be motivated like that in every game. He shouldn't have to be scoring a lot of points in order to put in the effort on the other end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05