The Replacement

silverstyne

Reaction score
Let's just say that the JJ Deal is done (I still think that this soap opera is far from over), who would you say would serve as a good replacement for him at the SG spot? I'm just floating some possible ideas that's popping in my head right now (because I too am too dazed that this #$@#@@#$ actually is happening!!!):

I would chracterize JJ as PRIMARILY a shooter and that is where is becomes the greatest asset on our team - he can shoot the three and the two accurately therein providing us with the so-called "spacing". So why not replace him with shooters then? Here are my suggestions:

A. Luke Jackson, CLE - Wasn't he a reputed shooter coming out of college? Why not deal for him? I think he can be had for the pieces that we have?

B. Doug Christie, ORL - I seem to have some memories of him of being a respewctable shooter. He's an above-average defender to boot. I mean Orlando might drop him via the amnesty clause, so he too can be had.

C. Mike Miller, MEM - I love this one the best! MM is young and a shooter, I'm not sure of MM's contract with the Griz, but its probably far from 70/5 offer that we have to compete with for JJ!

D. Peja Stojakovic, SAC - Well, he might have to move to SG when he plays for us. He'll be a liability defensively, but man, would he be a threat offensively! Nash and Peja on the corners would rain 3's all over AWA! I, hoever, am doubtful that we can pry him from Sacto with what we have!

E. Allan Houston, NY - This I'm tossing around as a filler to my post :D I know his retiring, but man if we have Allan Houston during his prime to replace JJ? I doubt thered be a drop-off!!! Allan Houston can probably still shoot, but he can do nothing else with his legs and all...

There... those are my ideas so far! I hope that the suns have a move under the sleeve this summer! One unmentioned positive benefit that the JJ fiasco has brought to all of us suns fan is that it keeps us on our toes, hereby making for a VERY, VERY interesting summer! Go suns!

scotsman13

Reaction score
oh god no not doug christie. do you understand if you get doug you also get his wife? his wife is one world class major *****. when christie was with the kings his wife got one of the dancer fired because she looked at her husband.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Just say NO to Christie. There's a reason the Magic want to dump him. His body is rag tag and dying. He had major surgery this summer and won't be ready for a few more months either.

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone mention Damon Jones. I don't know if he has been signed yet, but with the trade the Heat just made I don't know if he would like to resign with them. He is a good shooter that could blossom in the style the suns play.

Last edited:

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Gorilla said:
I haven't heard anyone mention Damon Jones. I don't know if he has been signed yet, but with the trade the Heat just made I don't know I don't know if he would like to resign with them. He is a good shooter that could blossom in the style the suns play.

He's a good shooter, however, the only way we could get him, would be to do a S&T with Miami, and I don't see them doing that. They are trying to resign him already, even after aquiring J-Will. They don't have a back-up point because Jones and Keyon Dooling were their PG's last year, and Dooling is already gone. So they are in the Market for a back-up for J-Will or a starter in front of him. On top of that, he can't play the 2. He'd be too expensive for a back-up job here behind Nash. I wouldn't mind seeing him here, especially since he's proven what he can do in the playoffs, but I don't see it happening.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's my list

Desmond Mason- If the trade exception is anywhere in the ball park of 7.5 M he is attainable. The Bucks just traded for Jiri Welch and obviously have sewn up Micheal Redd. The Bucks need front line help, cut Calvin Booth and probably will not match Zaza. Bogut and Gadzooks with Joe Smith is thin. They could use the trade exception to get bigger.

Tony Allen- Celts just acquire Quentel Woods and drafted Gerald Green as shooting guards. If we acquire Diaw I would send him or Barbosa to Boston for Allen. This guy has a lot of JJ skills but is smaller at 6'4".

Derek Anderson- Lakers are rumored to be interested if he is a "amnesty" player. Probably mislabeled as a malconent just because he plays for Portland could become another version of Jim Jackson.

Gerald Wallace- Least skilled among my list but is a great open court player. Marion like player for the 2 guard position.

Last edited:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Anderson is going to the lakers, and Boston is waiving Woods.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I heard Houston still wants to play. He could be an enticing amnesty pickup if he can still move.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Mine would be either Marko Jaric or Gerald Wallace, but Jaric can shoot, I'm not sure how that Ronald Murray player is but all 3 are FA's...

I listened to Paul Coro, and it didn't sound like the team is even worried about the situation... he said the team could wait to use Trade Exception next offseason, if not during season - that is just pathetic. :mad:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
Mine would be either Marko Jaric or Gerald Wallace, but Jaric can shoot, I'm not sure how that Ronald Murray player is but all 3 are FA's...

Jaric can't do much of anything, not just shoot.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Jaric can't do much of anything, not just shoot.

Chaplin, I have always thought that Jaric would be a good player if he could get minutes.

You live there and see him play where I do not. Why are you so down on him?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Chaplin, I have always thought that Jaric would be a good player if he could get minutes.

You live there and see him play where I do not. Why are you so down on him?

I loved his size when he was first here, but then watching him play--he's not a good playmaker, he's not a good shooter, and he had a ton of opportunity to expand his game on the Clippers, regardless of their reputation. And he is being beat out by a 19 year old kid (I like Livingston, but he's not THAT good yet). He's durable, I'll give him that, but I just don't think he'd fit with the Suns style of play.

Looking at his stats, his assists were pretty good last year, so I may have to concede that point. I just don't like him from all I've seen of him over here.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My priorities would be another big man and point guard.

I'd take a strong look at doing a sign and trade for Damon Jones. The Heat are going to have a monstrous salary structure and just picked up Williams, so they might be willing to deal for picks and trade exemption. Jones put up some very good numbers last season and shows promise as a PG. He's bounced around for a while and didn't get many minutes until the last two years.

Damon Jones
Miami Heat
Position: G
Height: 6-3 Weight: 185
College : Houston '97
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 11.6
RPG 2.8
APG 4.3
SPG .54
BPG .06
FG% .456
FT% .791
3P% .432
MPG 31.4

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
My priorities would be another big man and point guard.

I'd take a strong look at doing a sign and trade for Damon Jones. The Heat are going to have a monstrous salary structure and just picked up Williams, so they might be willing to deal for picks and trade exemption. Jones put up some very good numbers last season and shows promise as a PG. He's bounced around for a while and didn't get many minutes until the last two years.

Damon Jones
Miami Heat
Position: G
Height: 6-3 Weight: 185
College : Houston '97
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 11.6
RPG 2.8
APG 4.3
SPG .54
BPG .06