The Roster as it Stands.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Unless we are unwisely overpaying Hickson then I dont see why Portland would do that.

How much the Suns were to pay Hickson in a sign-and-trade would be of no relevance to Portland. The real question is whether they would want Scola and Lee, to which the answer of course is No.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How much the Suns were to pay Hickson in a sign-and-trade would be of no relevance to Portland. The real question is whether they would want Scola and Lee, to which the answer of course is No.

My point was that if Hickson could be had for a reasonable price then I think Portland would just keep him, especially if the alternative is Scola and Lee, a sub par player and a worthless player.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My point was that if Hickson could be had for a reasonable price then I think Portland would just keep him

What I've read says that Portland has very little interest in keeping him.

especially if the alternative is Scola and Lee, a sub par player and a worthless player.

That's a false choice. They aren't taking Scola and Lee under any circumstances, so to say "They'd rather keep Hickson" is meaningless.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless we are unwisely overpaying Hickson then I dont see why Portland would do that.

Scola provides a back up in case LaMarcus Aldridge forces their hand on a trade. Scola provides a talented PF who is cheap and will be a FA after this year giving them cap room next year. Lee would give them a back up to Lillard and McCollum. Hell, I would trade Gortat in a S&T for Hickson because teams aren't going to give up a pick(s) for Gortat unless its a title contender with a pick in the late, late first round.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Scola provides a back up in case LaMarcus Aldridge forces their hand on a trade. Scola provides a talented PF who is cheap and will be a FA after this year giving them cap room next year. Lee would give them a back up to Lillard and McCollum.

There is no indication that Aldridge will force a trade. While Scola's contract is not bad, it does run for two more years (not one), and $4.5M per year for two years is a very expensive insurance policy for Aldridge. Lee is a terrible player who can't stay healthy, and quite frankly, nobody wants him.

Bottom line is that neither Scola nor Lee is what Portland needs (even if they were free).They need a Center, not a PF or a guard who hasn't played in a long time, and doesn't really have any skill.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is no indication that Aldridge will force a trade. While Scola's contract is not bad, it does run for two more years (not one), and $4.5M per year for two years is a very expensive insurance policy for Aldridge. Lee is a terrible player who can't stay healthy, and quite frankly, nobody wants him.

Bottom line is that neither Scola nor Lee is what Portland needs (even if they were free).They need a Center, not a PF or a guard who hasn't played in a long time, and doesn't really have any skill.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/06/blazers_insider_although_lamar.html

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/...aldridge-chicago-bulls-portland-trail-blazers

POR wants Noah, that ain't going to happen. CHI rumored to have offered Boozer or Deng. I would rather have Scola than be stuck with either Boozer or Deng's contract.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LaMarcus Aldridge himself denied asking for a trade.

Could it be POR told him to keep quiet and deny the rumors and they will try and accommodate his request to keep it civil? Who starts a rumor that a player wants to be traded, chances are Aldridge told someone, a confidant maybe and they leaked it. So for damage control Aldridge denies requesting a trade.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Could it be POR told him to keep quiet and deny the rumors and they will try and accommodate his request to keep it civil? Who starts a rumor that a player wants to be traded, chances are Aldridge told someone, a confidant maybe and they leaked it. So for damage control Aldridge denies requesting a trade.

Regardless, Portland has no interest in Scola or Lee.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Update

PG: Dragic, Bledsoe, Marshall
SG: Goodwin, Brown, Tucker, Lee
SF: Butler, Green, Morris
PF: Morris, Beasley
C: Gortat, Len, Plumlee

Medical?: Frye

Won't make the team unless others leave: Oriakhi, Garrett
Amnestied but still getting paid: Childress

As it stands we have 15 players for the active roster unless Frye is healthy, in which case we have 16.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As it stands we have 15 players for the active roster unless Frye is healthy, in which case we have 16.
Healthy or not Frye is still on the roster and counts against the 15. There is no injured list anymore.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think its safe to assume Lee will not be here. He has a bad hip, a bad knee, and his tiny contract comes off the books next summer.

And after hearing McD talk about the PF rotation, and deliberately exclude Beasley, I think he is now a dark-horse candidate to actually get waived.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Who did McD mention in the PF rotation? Most guys are injured/hobbling and some have been traded. Not much left now. Will Tucker do a Marion and play PF? That will not work.

C Gortat / Len / Plumlee
PF Keef
SF Tucket / Butler / Marcus
SG Dragic / Goodwin / Green / Brown
PG Bledsoe / Marshall

With this lineup we'll win no more than 25-30 games.

We should get someone named White and Red. Maybe Blue Edwards can come on as an assistant coach.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who did McD mention in the PF rotation? Most guys are injured/hobbling and some have been traded. Not much left now. Will Tucker do a Marion and play PF? That will not work.

C Gortat / Len / Plumlee
PF Keef
PG Bledsoe / Marshall

We should get someone named White and Red. Maybe Blue Edwards can come on as an assistant coach.

I think Marcus Morris will play some PF behind Markieff. I do not think Frye will return and Beasley will be out the door. I think somewhere along the line the Suns will look for another PF.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marcus and Plumlee with both likely see some PF time, and I would suspect they will try out Len and Gortat on the floor together a bit.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
That will be terrible. I can't see Gortat stretch the floor, nor Len. Hope I'm wrong.

Errntknght

Reaction score

C Gortat / Len / Plumlee
PF Keef
PG Bledsoe / Marshall

If Gortat and Len are both MIA when the season opens I'd expect Plumlee and Keiff to hold down the center spot but I think Plumlee's natural position is PF. He's 6'10 and was listed as a PF last year.

I wouldn't expect to see Tucker in the PF rotation but against "stretch 4's"
he might well be our best option for short periods. Last year he switched onto them a few times and frustrated them quite well (caused by Scola finding other things to do when he was supposed to be guarding them.)

I think it would be fun to see an all out running lineup at times - something like Bledsoe, Dragic, Green, Tucker and Plumlee. They'd just as well take the first open shot of any kind since the halfcourt offense would suck anyway. Add in trapping and scrambling on defense and they could get the other team pretty rattled in a hurry - that's Bledsoe's forte, in case you didn't know.

BTW, I'm predicting that Diante Garrett will be on the roster this year. They gave him short shrift in the summer league but while he was on the floor he outperformed Marshall in assists, scoring and turnovers - and Christmas as well except in scoring. Of course they haven't made any secret of the fact they're not thrilled with Marshall and his attitude despite the lovely passes he can throw. It could be they didn't want anyone else to snatch up Diante while they sorted things out. It won't hurt that Garrett went to Iowa State, the same college as Hornacek.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This fantasy of Gortat as a PF is dead on arrival. Orlando tried it with him and Howard, it was a failure then, and that's part of the reason Gortat was available at all.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This fantasy of Gortat as a PF is dead on arrival. Orlando tried it with him and Howard, it was a failure then, and that's part of the reason Gortat was available at all.

I expect it wont work either... but I think they will give it the ol college try. Its not like the experiment will be depriving a skilled forward of playing time.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
OK, so Butler is out and this Kratchov is in. Still no word on Frye? Guess he won't be ready then. I guess the rotation will be something like this...

C Gortat / Len / Kratsov
PF Keef / Plumlee / ---all-the-way-down-the-bench---> Beasley
SF Tucker / Marcus / Green
SG Dragic / Goodwin / Brown
PG Bledsoe / Marshall

Boy are we're gonna lose...

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
OK, so Butler is out and this Kratchov is in. Still no word on Frye? Guess he won't be ready then. I guess the rotation will be something like this...

C Gortat / Len / Kratsov
PF Keef / Plumlee / ---all-the-way-down-the-bench---> Beasley
SF Tucker / Marcus / Green
SG Dragic / Goodwin / Brown
PG Bledsoe / Marshall

Boy are we're gonna lose...

You left out Frye, Ish, and Lee. Larry O'Brien Trophy here we come.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I show 19 if you include the 2nd round pick Oriakhi and Garrett who played at LVSL and will probably be in camp.
Lee, Frye, and Beasley still question marks to make it to camp.

Bledsoe/Marshall/Smith/Garrett(FA)
Dragic/Goodwin/Brown/Lee
Tucker/Morris/Green
Morris/Plumlee/Oriakhi/Beasley
Gortat/Len/Kravtsov/Frye

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I show 19 if you include the 2nd round pick Oriakhi and Garrett who played at LVSL and will probably be in camp.
Lee, Frye, and Beasley still question marks to make it to camp.

Bledsoe/Marshall/Smith/Garrett(FA)
Dragic/Goodwin/Brown/Lee
Tucker/Morris/Green
Morris/Plumlee/Oriakhi/Beasley
Gortat/Len/Kravtsov/Frye

Garrett will be with OKC according to a recent tweet of his.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake