The Vent Thread

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Actually, and this isn't saying all that much, if Shawn is going to take a three, the corner is where he should probably take it. It's an extremely difficult shot, but it's his best spot for his 3's.

Really.

Maybe its just my perception of it when I have seen him shoot it from there.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Chaplin is correct. Marion shoots a decent percentage on three-pointers in the corner, and he is godawful everywhere else behind the line. Someone posted the statistics last season, so I don't know for sure that it was the same this year, but my guess is that it was. If anything, the discrepancy felt more pronounced this year.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Marion is a complementary player. His value stemms solely from being energetic and aggressive. With tired legs, it's no wonder you don't see him active.

Face it. We have to be tired the way we played. It's already a miracle that no more injury befell us and we lasted so long this way.

gdiddy

Registered
Reaction score
Foul Trouble in Tonight's Game...

Is it me, or did anyone think the foul calls were a little off hand? Even Barkley was saying at half time that the officiating was getting out of hand.

Barbosa gets in foul trouble, Diaw gets in foul trouble, Thomas and Bell. Once those guys were taking out, we had no offense left.

Kind of sad to see that happen. How do you blow an 18-point lead and end up losing by 9 is beyond me....

Aside from all that, this was a great season. But looking to next season, this team should be the real deal. No excuses, no mercy. STAT will return, KT will be back, Bell will recover, and Nash will have a long Summer to get some rest.

So sad to see it end this way, however.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it was out of hand, but not the way everyone else thinks. This was the Western Conference Finals, you don't call fouls like they did--on BOTH teams. You let them play. Now, I am glad they called the palming stuff--or at least, I'm glad they called the one on Jason Terry, which was extremely obvious, but the Stackhouse one wasn't that bad. They still didn't call all the travels that Josh Howard and Dirk Nowitzki commits, but that has happened all year. And it goes both ways--they don't call a lot of the travels Shawn Marion makes on his drives, and Steve Nash and LB palm the ball sometimes too.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Marion is a complementary player. His value stemms solely from being energetic and aggressive. With tired legs, it's no wonder you don't see him active.

Face it. We have to be tired the way we played. It's already a miracle that no more injury befell us and we lasted so long this way.

Exactly. I have nothing to vent about.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Let's Not go there. We are much more classy than Mark Cuban. We will have many Trolls here in the next day or two, so let's keep it positive.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Officials have deep impact on game 6

I know the officials were blowing both teams for whatever slight perception of a foul they could muster, but it was Phoenix that felt the deepest impact. With all of the stopping of play it was taking Phoenix out of the flow of their game. As the calls got worse that became my concern. The officials were slowing the pace of the game better than the Mavericks could. That carried over into the 2nd half. Another reason it affected the Suns more was that they didn't have the depth to keep a competitive team on the floor. The Suns weren't in a position to trade an onslought of fouls with the Mavericks. When they had to play James, I'm too afraid to shoot, Jones for long minutes, it didn't bode well.

What about that call against Diaw for sticking his leg out? He wasn't even in the play. The Dallas player fell over a Sun that had gone to the floor.

It was the worst officiating I've ever seen in an NBA game and this was the Western Conference Finals! Maybe they didn't cost the Suns this game, but then again, maybe they did.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Please don't blame the officials... we just did not have it in the second half... tired, burnt out, no hustle, no shots were falling in, just name it. The officials were similar on both sides.

gdiddy

Registered
Reaction score
I agree it sucked, but it has always been the case with any Suns game. Plus you had that cadaver named Bavetta involved in the officiating so you couldn't have been too optimistic about Phoenix's chances.

gdiddy

Registered
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Please don't blame the officials... we just did not have it in the second half... tired, burnt out, no hustle, no shots were falling in, just name it. The officials were similar on both sides.

Yeah but let's be honest: How can you mount an offensive effort when 4 of your key players are benched because of fouls? Thomas and Barbosa fouled out in the fourth quarter. Diaw finished with 5.

You can't deny that the foul trouble has dismantled our team near the end.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
Let's Not go there. We are much more classy than Mark Cuban. We will have many Trolls here in the next day or two, so let's keep it positive.

What's wrong with telling it like it is. The officials were heavy handed and it took a greater toll on the shorthanded Suns. It also slowed the tempo to a half court game. Maybe the game is fixed.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
You foul if you don't play smart. We seemed to be tired in the second half. So, instead of playing smart defense, we were fouling a lot. I'm not saying all fouls were valid but we cannot blame the loss on officiating. How many times did we turnover the ball? We probably did not have as many shot clock violations in entire playoffs as we did today. No one seems to want to take the shots in the 3rd. Nash was very passive until garbage time kicked in. Surely you can't blame officiating for all these?

jibikao

Reaction score
Yup, the problem is the refs called too many fouls on both teams and we are just not deep enough to withstand the fouls.

M3Man

Reaction score
CardShark said:
What's wrong with telling it like it is. The officials were heavy handed and it took a greater toll on the shorthanded Suns. It also slowed the tempo to a half court game. Maybe the game is fixed.

As a Mavs fan I felt the same way when both of our point guards had 2 fouls in the 1st 4 minutes, and had to use Marquis Daniels at the point. Depth matters.

But I really just popped in to praise your team. They are the ultimate overachievers, and you guys should savor the joy of every 3 they ever hit. They brought you some world class great moments. Great clutch performances in those game 7's. DOn't let the pain of losing deprive you of enjoying those moments.

I think if we win it all, Cuban should send Nash a ring for helping build our franchise. No way we'd be where we are without his contribution as Dirk's buddy. Getting to the finals puts me in a refelctive mood, and so many of my best Mavs memories include a Nash assist or dipsy do underhanded layup in Karl Malone's face. You got a great guy there, the most fun player to watch outside of Lebron. You better enjoy him. And get him a backup so he can play 30 minutes a game and have strenth in the playoffs.

I dont feel sorry for you. Next year, you get Amare back. You ought to feel sorry for us. He and LeBron will be the Bird-Magic of the current generation. Been fun chatting with you.

I think we'll meet here again next year.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that referees did hurt the Phoenix Suns tonight. It wasn't one-sided. They were nailing both teams about evenly, but as someone else said it takes a bigger toll on the team with absolutely no depth.

The fact that it may have cost the Phoenix Suns a chance at a game 7 isn't even what bothers me most about the referees tonight. What bothers me is that they took what should have been a great game and dominated it themselves. For the most part this series has been incredibly exciting. It's been a fun type of basketball that fans love to watch, and the referees screwed it up tonight for both teams.

In the end I'm sure the over officiating hurt the Phoenix Suns more than the Mavericks, but it's what they did to the game itself that had me upset.

I hope they do a better job in the finals. The NBA needs an exciting finals, and Miami and Dallas have the potential to be a great Finals matchup.

Joe

jibikao

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I believe that referees did hurt the Phoenix Suns tonight. It wasn't one-sided. They were nailing both teams about evenly, but as someone else said it takes a bigger toll on the team with absolutely no depth.

The fact that it may have cost the Phoenix Suns a chance at a game 7 isn't even what bothers me most about the referees tonight. What bothers me is that they took what should have been a great game and dominated it themselves. For the most part this series has been incredibly exciting. It's been a fun type of basketball that fans love to watch, and the referees screwed it up tonight for both teams.

In the end I'm sure the over officiating hurt the Phoenix Suns more than the Mavericks, but it's what they did to the game itself that had me upset.

I hope they do a better job in the finals. The NBA needs an exciting finals, and Miami and Dallas have the potential to be a great Finals matchup.

Joe

You are going to watch Finals?

And I do agree with you. There are way too many BS calls on both teams that just totally destroyed us.

I wonder if it was part of the memo? If they didn't call the games like this before, why did they do it today? Is this their subtle way of letting Mavs win? NBA is all about business. I watched the game tonight and I barely feel we got any home court advantage at all. NBA knew we are so injured and short handed and they basically killed us with those BS calls.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma about this. For years I've griped that the playoffs are called so much differently than the regular season. Teams used to be able to get away with murder in the playoffs.

Its quite obvious that the league has cracked down on that this year. The team it hurt the most is the Pistons because they depend on physical defense to win.

If they're fouls, they're fouls and they should be called. It looks to me like the players haven't yet adjusted.

I've got to at least give them credit for trying to address the problem.

jibikao

Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
I'm in a dilemma about this. For years I've griped that the playoffs are called so much differently than the regular season. Teams used to be able to get away with murder in the playoffs.

Its quite obvious that the league has cracked down on that this year. The team it hurt the most is the Pistons because they depend on physical defense to win.

If they're fouls, they're fouls and they should be called. It looks to me like the players haven't yet adjusted.

I've got to at least give them credit for trying to address the problem.

I didn't watch the full 1st Q but I think the refs gave Suns too much favor by putting Mavs in early foul trouble and then they HAD TO give the favors back to Mavs in 2nd Q. That's how I felt it. Some of the fouls they called on Barbosa an Diaw are just silly, just like some of the calls they called on Diop.

In the end, it hurts us more 'cause coach D only wanted to run 7-men rotation.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
It is very unfortunate for us that the refs did such a horrible job calling it like it was inside a prison ward. It was no way they were doing it against specifically us though, it was just a harsh side effect of the refs doing such a horrible job that it took a toll on the suns and the suns crowd.

We scored 29 in the first and ended the game just over 90 because the fouls just kept piling up for both teams slowing the games tempo to a crawl.

Yes, it is possible that the refs handed the game to the mavs by botching the tempo so bad with the constant calls on both ends which possibly super-slowed the games pace, but I honestly had very little belief we would have won game 7 anyway. I would have really liked to see a game 7 though.

So, just blame the refs for not giving an nba another game 7 series which is at least bittersweet.

And lastly who knows, maybe cubans tapes to the officials had this kind of warping on the officiating that they decided to ref the game extremely tight. In that case it looks like the tactics of cuban won yet again.

Damn you Mark Cuban, damn you...and good luck in the finals.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Here's something to feel good about.

Eric Dampier is signed through 2011, the year he'll make $13 mil.

M3Man

Reaction score
jbeecham said:
BS, the refs completely changed the way they called the game. How many fouls were called against Dallas in the 2nd half? How many ft's did we shoot in the 2nd half? How many turnovers and missed shots did we have as a result of fouls not being called? How does Dirk only have only 2-3 fouls yet we have 4 guys foul out or have 5 fouls?

The fouls hit the Mavs just as hard in the 1st half. They played with NO point guard for most of it. PHX should have put them away then. They were using Marquis Daniels at point guard for 12 minutes, and cut the PHX lead in half.

Yes the fouls were screwy. But the Mavs took advantage, and the Suns did not.

You guys had a great season, and overachieved up the Wazoo. Don't let losing ruin your summer. When Amare gets his 3rd ring, you'll look back at this game and laugh.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avery Johnson should have been using Marquise Daniels more frequently anyhow. You are actually helping the argument that the referees affected the game. I'm not sure the Phoenix Suns would have pulled it out even without the questionable officiating, but I know that helped in their demise.

Let me just say that I think this game was called evenly. The reason it hurt the Phoenix Suns more is obvious. The Dallas Mavericks have a $97 million roster of healthy players. The Phoenix Suns had no depth because of injuries. they had no one to turn to when there was foul trouble, and they were completely worn out.

I was really upset with Shawn Marion in the second half of yesterday's game. The Mavericks switched Josh Howard over on to Nash, and Marion did absolutely nothing to make them pay for it. I've been saying this since the Lakers series. For $16 million per season it is just too easy to shut down Shawn Marion. For that much money I expect a guy who at least occasionally commands a double-team from opposing defenses and doesn't require double-team help on the other end.

Please don't misunderstand this as me wanting to trade away Shawn Marion just to unload him. I'm just frustrated.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05