The Vent Thread

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I was really upset with Shawn Marion in the second half of yesterday's game. The Mavericks switched Josh Howard over on to Nash, and Marion did absolutely nothing to make them pay for it. I've been saying this since the Lakers series. For $16 million per season it is just too easy to shut down Shawn Marion.

Yes, exactly. When the Mavericks put Terry on Marion and the Suns didn't even bat an eye, that was a very telling moment.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Consistency, consistency. That's all that should be expected. Don't wait until game 6 of the Western Conference Finals to call every foul regardless of how slight it could be. That call on Diaw for sticking his leg out and tripping the Mav after a rebound when the replay clearly showed Diaw at least 5 feet away and that the Mav had turned and tripped over a Sun that had gone to the floor was utter BS.

I don't fault the Mavs for the officiating but there should be someone taken to task for it.

cly2tw

Reaction score
elindholm said:
I was really upset with Shawn Marion in the second half of yesterday's game. The Mavericks switched Josh Howard over on to Nash, and Marion did absolutely nothing to make them pay for it. I've been saying this since the Lakers series. For $16 million per season it is just too easy to shut down Shawn Marion.

Yes, exactly. When the Mavericks put Terry on Marion and the Suns didn't even bat an eye, that was a very telling moment.

I bet you wouldn't have seen anything like that if Pierce had played in place of Marion.;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
I bet you wouldn't have seen anything like that if Pierce had played in place of Marion.;)

Well I blame that more on the coaches then Shawn Marion. It's the coaches job to recognize mismatches and exploit them by calling plays. Marion runs the play that's directed.

This goes back to my complaint about D'Antoni. He did a terrible job last year and this year making adjustments on the fly. He does a good job of game to game adjustments but is not to good at making them on the fly.

jibikao

Reaction score
elindholm said:

Because from what I saw, Marion was standing at the 3pt line most of the time. Marion cannot demand double team. Hell, he sometimes doesn't even demand any special attention on defense except for following him closely. He was tired. The whole team was tired and frustrated with foul trouble.

jibikao

Reaction score
SteelDog said:
Well I blame that more on the coaches then Shawn Marion. It's the coaches job to recognize mismatches and exploit them by calling plays. Marion runs the play that's directed.

This goes back to my complaint about D'Antoni. He did a terrible job last year and this year making adjustments on the fly. He does a good job of game to game adjustments but is not to good at making them on the fly.

I agree to some degree because we really don't have any plays for Marion. Can we run isolation play for Marion? Would that be effective? As far as I know, we rarely let Marion create for himself and there is probably a reason for it. He is not good at it.

The problem is that Nash was tired/hurt and since we are a team that does not rely on half-court offense and plays, we suffer greatly when the "creator" can't create or when there is nothing to create. Our "free style" offense is very beneficial when the creator is healthy. Too bad Raja was hurt/cold (one less offense threat), Marion couldn't hit from outside and has almost no inside game, TT was cold and both Barbosa and Diaw were in foul trouble. That pretty much sums up how ineffective we were in the 2nd half.

If we have a healthy Amare, throws the ball to him and he can demand double team or at least put Mavs in foul trouble more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05