The Wizard of Was

Reaction score
Ya see none of that means anything.Hell he was so good they didn't even want him after interviewing him for the Headcoaching job. Jeez he must have been just swell up there in Pittsburgh. Maybe they saw his crap ego there to.

...They didn't even want him back in Pittsburgh. Why???.... if he was such a great OC.???...could it be the EGO.
Interjecting some reality into the discussion...

Whisenhunt accepted the head coach job with Arizona before Pittsburgh made their decision; i.e.- Whisenhunt was still being considered for Pittsburgh's HC position at the time he accepted Arizona's offer.

Secondly, the NFL's minority hiring directive is labeled "the Rooney rule". I believe that had some implication when it came time for the team owned by the Rooney's to make a coaching hire.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Interjecting some reality into the discussion...

Whisenhunt accepted the head coach job with Arizona before Pittsburgh made their decision; i.e.- Whisenhunt was still being considered for Pittsburgh's HC position at the time he accepted Arizona's offer.

Secondly, the NFL's minority hiring directive is labeled "the Rooney rule". I believe that had some implication when it came time for the team owned by the Rooney's to make a coaching hire.

what is the benefit of reality when you can bring senseless ranting to the table?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I hate to bring this up but we ARE the doormat of the league.

3-7

Statistics aside. I think that accolade goes to the Panthers and Bills this season. 1-10, 2-9? They are flat out awful. At least we've won a few games. That's what's important.

We're not the doormat, but we are no better than the doorknob ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Statistics aside. I think that accolade goes to the Panthers and Bills this season. 1-10, 2-9? They are flat out awful. At least we've won a few games. That's what's important.

Too bad you took out the comment about you know who. I wanted to say something about that. :D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bills are doing more with less to me. Losing close ones. Cards, not so much. Panthers, you are probably right.

TJ

Reaction score
when a team is 3-7 (and an ugly 3-7 at that) after going 10-6 the year before -- it is self evident that it made bad personnel decisions the previous off season. So the idea that there have been some poor personnel decisions made shouldn't be news.

a couple thoughts:

At the strategic level, 2/3 of the league, including the Cardinals, took a pretty conservative financial posture this off season given the looming labor uncertainty. The problem for the Cardinals was that given the retirements and departures, this was an offseason where they needed to be in the 1/3 that was aggressive. However -- its just not in their risk averse nature. They just were not going to give huge signing bonuses to players that they didn't know extremely well ( like Dockett).

As for Leinart: i dont think he would have made any difference. The last two games -- you got the Leinart-equivalent performance out of Derek Anderson and they still lost big because the defense can't stop anybody. The offense still wouldn't have scored enough points and the source of our QB frustration would be a complete lack of big plays.

Really??

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nfl-salaries.php

#8 in salaries paid

TJ

Reaction score
Too bad you took out the comment about you know who. I wanted to say something about that. :D

Whis? Ohh yeah. The pariah of this team. I forgot to throw him under the bus, which seems to be the mainstream amongst ill informed posters. :devil:

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

I am talking about adding people in the offseason -- their current salary number is much more a function of payments to guys who have been here at least a couple years.

That being said -- the #8 ranking surprised me. I would have put them at #18 or so.

EDIT: TJ -- that data sure looks like its 2009 rather than 2010

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whis? Ohh yeah. The pariah of this team. I forgot to throw him under the bus, which seems to be the mainstream amongst ill informed posters. :devil:

Not him... the QB savior that was let go..... (not Leinart)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I think that right now the Cincinnatti Bengals are the doormat of the NFL. 8 losses in a row is pretty tough. Then Carolina, then us. Carolina is sort of in the same boat that we are. Their D was supposed to be able to cover up for a terrible offense.

The thing is that their D has been playing pretty solid football. 14th overall, but 24th in scoring because the O is giving lots of short fields.

For the Cards, both sides of the ball are terrible.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think that right now the Cincinnatti Bengals are the doormat of the NFL. 8 losses in a row is pretty tough. Then Carolina, then us. Carolina is sort of in the same boat that we are. Their D was supposed to be able to cover up for a terrible offense.

The thing is that their D has been playing pretty solid football. 14th overall, but 24th in scoring because the O is giving lots of short fields.

maybe,.....but cincy can just cut t.o. and go right back to being competitive

TJ

Reaction score

How could I forget about the Bungles...my bad

TJ

Reaction score
I am talking about adding people in the offseason -- their current salary number is much more a function of payments to guys who have been here at least a couple years.

That being said -- the #8 ranking surprised me. I would have put them at #18 or so.

EDIT: TJ -- that data sure looks like its 2009 rather than 2010

It's 2010 - surprisingly enough.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
maybe,.....but cincy can just cut t.o. and go right back to being competitive

Yeah because who needs a WR who is averaging more than 14 yds a catch and has 8 TDs? TO may be a jerk but he is talented and having the best season he has had in years...he is on pace for like 90 catches 1200+ yds and 12 TDs. He is the best part of that offense, leading the team in TDs, catches, yards per catch and total yards on offense(tied with Benson).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Amazingly the Cardinals are 11th in rushing YPC at 4.3 but 29th in YPG which speaks to the woes of the passing game and defense. Don't have time to look it up, but I'm pretty sure the Cardinals 3rd down efficiency is horrible, which speaks to how lousy the passing game has been this season.

People underestimate how much Kurt Warner meant to this offense and how working together with Q, Fitz, and Steve Breaston over multiple seasons gave the offense continuity. He masked a lot of deficiencies in the O-line and rushing attack IMO. It was like having a coach on the field who could identify defenses, change plays at the line of scrimmage, run the no-huddle offense, anticipate where receivers would be and hit them in stride, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Take away the dynamic offense the Cardinals have had in the past 2-3 years, and their ability to come back from any kind of serious deficit is close to zero. That puts enormous pressure on a defense that is as porous and inconsistent as ever. IMO, the Cardinals do not have anything close to the defense Whis and company had in Pittsburgh, meaning his dream of basing his offense on the running game is a pipedream. One of the primary focuses in the offseason has to be upgrading the QB position and the passing offense. Without that commitment, guys like Fitz and Breaston are going to start counting the days till they can leave IMO.

:notworthy: Great post. I think this defense has been bad for years, but the play of the offense put so much pressure on opposing offenses that the defense looked better.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No way. Just like Buffalo and Carolina, at least the Bengals aren't getting blown out week after week. Cincinnati has been one possession away from winning/tie in 6 of those 8 losses. In our 6 losses, we only had 2. With losses of 12, 18, 18 and 21 margins in between.

They have been competitive, we haven't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser