There’s still a possibility we draft Nabers

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The whole Daniels vs Burrow thing is a waste of time, Burrow was just the obvious name that popped into my head to counter "He's only had one good season".

There are a whole bunch of guys that got drafted high off one good season. Wentz, Trubisky, Mark Sanchez etc

RG3 had 3 meh seasons and one great final year.

Heck, just recently Zach Wilson went #2 based off one season with 33/3 after going 12/3 and 11/9 on TD/INT the previous 2 seasons.

There is a long history of teams drafting QB's high based off one great season, whether they had bad previous seasons or not.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The whole Daniels vs Burrow thing is a waste of time, Burrow was just the obvious name that popped into my head to counter "He's only had one good season".

There are a whole bunch of guys that got drafted high off one good season. Wentz, Trubisky, Mark Sanchez etc

Heck, just recently Zach Wilson went #2 based off one season with 33/3 after going 12/3 and 11/9 on TD/INT the previous 2 seasons.

There is a long history of teams drafting QB's high based off one great season, whether they had bad previous seasons or not.

Surely NFL teams will keep making the same mistake over and over like they did with these guys.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score

I'm going to be real cautious about taking a guy who was borderline bad for four college seasons though.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes Haskins beat out Burrow but it really wasn’t a fair fight. After Haskins went in and lit up Michigan the prior year, he was going to be the QB.
And you’re right, it’s not like Haskins was a scrub. He set about every big 10 passing record there was that year.
Even with that being said Burrow was actually worse than LSU's previous QB Danny Etling (who the Patriots tried at WR)

I think people are forgetting how unprecedented Burrow's turnaround was. In fact there's a bit of revisionist history going on because there were lots of people trying to discredit Burrow. Some gave the credit to the WR talent, a lot of it was being heaped towards offensive coordinator Joe Brady. Cause how else would a guy go from a day 3 pick to a #1 pick in the draft.

As the pros have proven Joe is just that good now. However, just like an athletic QB gives the next athletic QB a chance in the pros. Joe Burrow's 1 year turnaround is helping other guys get drafted higher/evaluated fairer?

Maybe some guys are just late bloomers.

*nothing in my comments indicates Daniels WILL BE that. Im just saying now you cant easily dismiss the possibility anymore. Cause the draft is a crapshoot*

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to be real cautious about taking a guy who was borderline bad for four college seasons though.
This is a bit exaggerated though right?

True freshman year was solid.
He only played 4 games his SO year
His JR year was bad no doubt. However, a lot of chaos at ASU
Solid his 1st year at LSU
One of the GOAT college football seasons his 2nd year at LSU

FWIW, I wouldnt draft Bo Nix either. However, if Bo is good in the pros is anyone really going to be holding his time at Auburn against him?

Truth is some of these guys had no business playing before their 3rd or 4th year in college anyway.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
This is a bit exaggerated though right?

True freshman year was solid.
He was good...for a freshman..he had a pretty good team around him though.
He only played 4 games his SO year
And was a big disappointment.
His JR year was bad no doubt. However, a lot of chaos at ASU
Sure. Daniels was one of the reasons ASU was bad. He hasn't gotten any better, and appeared to actually be a lot worse.
Solid his 1st year at LSU
Eh. Solid. That's a great endorsement for a 4th year starter. How many 4 year starters at power five schools would you call this an endorsement? And he had talent at LSU.
One of the GOAT college football seasons his 2nd year at LSU
His fifth year, that distinction really matters a lot. It's the same reason I'm not excited about Bo Nix, a player you mention in the next statement.
FWIW, I wouldnt draft Bo Nix either. However, if Bo is good in the pros is anyone really going to be holding his time at Auburn against him?
Why would you hold anything against anybody if they are good in the pros? That isn't a relevant statement.

What is relevant is should his struggles for years be held against them? Absolutely.
Truth is some of these guys had no business playing before their 3rd or 4th year in college anyway.
Maybe, but plenty of young QBs hit the ground running. The struggles are absolute question marks. If you had watched Daniels like a lot of us here have, you'd want no part of him.

I hope Daniels goes top three, I really do, because that likely means that Marvin falls into the Cardinals laps and I know one team (the team that takes Daniels) just took a giant turd and they should be a win for the Cardinals in the future.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You know when you stop for a quick drink for work with your buddies and they say "Go on, another won't kill you" and you just want to go home and watch Jeopardy? But you have another one and then suddenly it's 3am and your car is wrapped around a pole and you have 2 hookers and a bag of blow in the car? And you wish you just listened to yourself 6 hours ago.

Well that, but replace you with a GM and your "buddies" with quarterbacks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you throw Mulli in, no doubt. Hes uncoverable.
The reason I included Edwards, is because I think he was 3rd in receiving on the year if I remember the stats correctly. Ah well.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Kyler Murray too

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If someone claims that LTs are constantly being picked in the top ten, the first thing I do is check to see how many teams have starting LTs who were drafted in the top ten.

Just checked the rosters and 7 of 32 teams have starting LTs that were drafted in the top ten of the first round.

As I've been saying for years - you can build a solid line without using a top pick for a lineman. Most teams have a mix of one or two 1st rounders (some high but mostly middle to late round) a couple from the 2nd or 3rd rounds, and then lower picks or even UDFA players.

I could see us picking an offensive lineman with a high pick this year had we not just done that last season. As I pointed out, most teams do not have multiple OL top picks, regardless of where they play on the line.
Now do every other position. Other than QB, I’m guessing the numbers are similar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22