sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

hou- bush
no- qb1
ten- qb2
nyj- d.ferguson or d.williams
gb- m.williams/l.white (although i dont know if i believe the report from cnnsi about them wanting white)
oak- ngata
sf- j.williams
buf- best OL
det- j.cutler (i hope he has a GREAT combine so he takes up a spot in the top 9)
az- AJ HAWK!!!!! (lb's do have a tendancy to fall a la d.johnson)

Everyone assumes he'll be gone before this but thats what i heard last year about dj, I'm keeping my fingers crossed
________
Prilosec Death

Last edited:

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
sundevil04 said:
hou- bush
no- qb1
ten- qb2
nyj- d.ferguson or d.williams
gb- m.williams/l.white (although i dont know if i believe the report from cnnsi about them wanting white)
oak- ngata
sf- j.williams
buf- best OL
det- j.cutler (i hope he has a GREAT combine so he takes up a spot in the top 9)
az- AJ HAWK!!!!! (lb's do have a tendancy to fall a la d.johnson)

Everyone assumes he'll be gone before this but thats what i heard last year about dj, I'm keeping my fingers crossed

I'm with you. If we land A.J. Hawk, I will be doing back flips all the way to Glendale next year

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
if we could land Hawk... then this would give us a better reason to use more 3-4 defenses... ... hawk...dansby...hayes...pace
berry..... dockett/king.....okeafer..
pretty awesome front seven then..

go cards

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I can't remember if DJ had bad workouts and that's one of the reasons he fell. I'll guarantee Hawk doesn't have a bad workout.In fact, if he was going to start slipping, his workout will erase all doubts.That being said, i would love for him to be there at 10.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
I can't remember if DJ had bad workouts and that's one of the reasons he fell. I'll guarantee Hawk doesn't have a bad workout.In fact, if he was going to start slipping, his workout will erase all doubts.That being said, i would love for him to be there at 10.

DJ fell because there were concerns we wasnt physical enough -- that he ran around blocks instead of taking them on.

I think a classic case of a guy who was highly rated all year long getting nit picked to death after the college season was over. I beleive he did a full workout at the combine, and ran extremely well.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jrjbritt said:
if we could land Hawk... then this would give us a better reason to use more 3-4 defenses... ... hawk...dansby...hayes...pace
berry..... dockett/king.....okeafer..
pretty awesome front seven then..

go cards
Arrghh.

No, it wouldn't. "Dockett/King" is something we should be reading about at LE in a 3/4, NOT in the middle.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I did a 3-4 with the cards (which I wouldnt) and we got AJ

Okeafor AJ Dansby Pace

Berry Big ass NT Dockett

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
If I did a 3-4 with the cards (which I wouldnt) and we got AJ

Okeafor AJ Dansby Pace

Berry Big ass NT Dockett
That's about right. Which is why I don't see it happening. That's not a good 3-4 setup, either (and notice there's still a piece missing--not to mention that peice's backups).

IF we draft Hawk, I see him being an OLB in a 4-3 base for two or three years at least before moving into the middle.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pariah said:
That's about right. Which is why I don't see it happening. That's not a good 3-4 setup, either (and notice there's still a piece missing--not to mention that peice's backups).

IF we draft Hawk, I see him being an OLB in a 4-3 base for two or three years at least before moving into the middle.

The thing I like about it is that I would make it a 5-2. Move Pace and Okeafor up on the line. I think that would be a powerful setup if we had the Big ass NT.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hawk may not be the best Ohio State LB to be entering the draft.

His buddy, Carpenter, looks like a clone of AJ only 5 - 10 pounds heavier. Problem is: Hawk gets to work out at the Combine and Pro day. Carpenter is recovering from a busted ankle and won't be able to work out.

Suggest we all check out any tape or TIVO stuff we have on the Buckeyes before Carpenter's injury.

Having been an "All Name" advocate all my life when evaluating draft prospects, I have to admit that the name "AJ Hawk" sure sounds magical (right out of Central Casting). But I can't help but wonder whether the name-thing is boosting AJ's rating just a smidge higher than it should be.

In any case, I suggest we all take a long hard look at Carpenter as well as Hawk. If AJ was off the board at #10, Carpenter could turn out to be an equally good pick.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:

I was on the DJ bandwagon last year. I think alot of the reason he fell is he did a total disappearing act in the Rose Bowl. On the flip side....Hawk was any animal in the Fiesta....I don't see Hawk slipping.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

His buddy, Carpenter, looks like a clone of AJ only 5 - 10 pounds heavier. Problem is: Hawk gets to work out at the Combine and Pro day. Carpenter is recovering from a busted ankle and won't be able to work out.

Suggest we all check out any tape or TIVO stuff we have on the Buckeyes before Carpenter's injury.

Having been an "All Name" advocate all my life when evaluating draft prospects, I have to admit that the name "AJ Hawk" sure sounds magical (right out of Central Casting). But I can't help but wonder whether the name-thing is boosting AJ's rating just a smidge higher than it should be.

In any case, I suggest we all take a long hard look at Carpenter as well as Hawk. If AJ was off the board at #10, Carpenter could turn out to be an equally good pick.

Don't sleep on Schlegel. He is also very good. And he'd fill a need for us in the middle. Don't have to spend a first rounder on the guy..........would be a nice 3 rd pickup.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also like Chad Greenway. He's a lock to be there at #10, though he may be a smidge of a reach at that position.

That said, I don't think we really need a 1st round linebacker. Right now it feels like a luxury pick.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I was on the DJ bandwagon last year. I think alot of the reason he fell is he did a total disappearing act in the Rose Bowl. On the flip side....Hawk was any animal in the Fiesta....I don't see Hawk slipping.

Derrick Johnson fell because NFL teams, for some reason, do not draft LB's early in the first round. Out of the last 100 top 10 selections only 5 have been LB's. 1995-2004

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

I like Carpenter as well. I think there is a good chance that he may be there in the second round because of being injured and not being able to work out. He would be a nice pickup in the second round.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Jeff: I am always of the opinion that catchy names can boost a guy other things being equal. Who would not get more excited about a guy named A.J Hawk than Joe Smith. If I was a player thinking about playing in the pros I would want a name like Magnum "bring it on" Polanski. J J Arrington is a catchy name which I have noted before. I always like the name Randal El. Sounds like a guy who could run a 4.0 40 to me. Deion "Neon" Sanders-how could this guy not be good?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I would be ecstastic if we got Hawk.....after watching him play this year he is the next closest "sure fire pro bowler" after Reggie Bush...Weis (an exceptional game planner) went into the fiesta bowl knowing he had to control Hawk.....that didnt work out to well....this guy has Brian Urlacher written all over him....i almost think we should trade up to 5 to get him....like Cbus said though....the guy will run a ridiciulous 40....he is exceptioanally fast....

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't want him if it means seeing his girlfriends face again.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Don't sleep on Schlegel. He is also very good. And he'd fill a need for us in the middle. Don't have to spend a first rounder on the guy..........would be a nice 3 rd pickup.
Schlegel will have a minimal impact in the NFL. He's not all that athletic and was exposed as such when Ohio State palyed aganst the better teams. I think he will be a backup/special teams player at best.
As for Carpenter,be leery. I'm telling you there is a steroid issue with him. In fact, his injury may be a blessing in disguise. Let's say he would test positive for roids at the combine. He could say they were doctor prescribed for rehabilitation. He's a very talented player but there's always going to be that question hanging out there. Plus , Carpenter's a crazy dude. I've got some pretty good stories on some of the wild stuff he had done.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Cbus when is the pro day for TOSU? I read some story in the Las Vegas Sun that said Hawk ran 4.48 to 4.52 at the TOSU pro day and my first thought was they can't possibly have had it this year already?

Was this last year, preseason or is the paper just wrong?

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Hey Cbus when is the pro day for TOSU? I read some story in the Las Vegas Sun that said Hawk ran 4.48 to 4.52 at the TOSU pro day and my first thought was they can't possibly have had it this year already?

Was this last year, preseason or is the paper just wrong?

It was last year and that caused quite a buzz because none of the scouts thought he could move that fast. OSU usually lets their underclassmen get a workout in for the scouts that day too. By the way, Mike Kudla will smash the bench press record at this yeras combo. Last year he was equalling the rep mark, 43 i believe, and is rumored to be doing over 50 reps at 225. I don't know what kind of prospect he is but he's also going to probably run in the 4.6-4.8 range. That's pretty good for a 270 lb DE.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Mike Kudla will smash the bench press record at this yeras combo. Last year he was equalling the rep mark, 43 i believe, and is rumored to be doing over 50 reps at 225. I don't know what kind of prospect he is but he's also going to probably run in the 4.6-4.8 range. That's pretty good for a 270 lb DE.

LETS TAKE HIM AT #10!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Kudla better than Hawk.

Something about Hawk makes me think bust, and I don't know exactly what it is. If we end up with him, I'll cheer my ass off for him, but I sure hope someone else higher than us drinks Hawk Koolaid before we get a chance.