This organization is playing for next year

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I've beat myself up over why have we torn our line apart, why haven't we gotten the run-plugging DT, why this, why that. You want the answer? Green and Bidwill talked it over, didn't think they could plug all the holes on this team in one offseason, and decided to play for NEXT year. If you win this year, great. If not, hey, guys like Brown, Rolle, Arrington, etc, will have great experience by being thrown into the fire from day one. Get them the experience, allow them to catch up to the game, and get ready for NEXT year.

This is the only logical reason I can think of for some of the failures on this organization's and coaching staff's parts. I don't even want to consider the illogical reasons. I refuse, at this point.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I think you are right Stout. I can't see any other reason why some of the personnel decisions that have been made. This team is being built for 2006-2007. I just hope guys like Step and Brown turn out to be the players Green expects.

I don't know how Green can expect 8-10 wins right now with these types of personnel decisions. But it is better to have high expectations that none at all. I will give him credit for that. Green does expect a lot.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stout said:
I've beat myself up over why have we torn our line apart, why haven't we gotten the run-plugging DT, why this, why that. You want the answer? Green and Bidwill talked it over, didn't think they could plug all the holes on this team in one offseason, and decided to play for NEXT year. If you win this year, great. If not, hey, guys like Brown, Rolle, Arrington, etc, will have great experience by being thrown into the fire from day one. Get them the experience, allow them to catch up to the game, and get ready for NEXT year.

This is the only logical reason I can think of for some of the failures on this organization's and coaching staff's parts. I don't even want to consider the illogical reasons. I refuse, at this point.

I thought that coming in. DG made a comment before season to the effect that he expects us to being playing like a championship team next year.

I thought about posting it a few times over the past few days, but cannot find the quote

I think it said alot. While we expect to compete this year no matter what... our real goal it to have a good team heading into next year.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Then lose 14 more games and draft Leinart.

My dad called me last night and said he was going to place a bet (in Vegas) before the season that the Cards would go 0-16, but he passed because it was even money. :D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
At this point in time I dont buy it at all.

Do we really think the cards want an empty house in a brand new stadium. We can have all the hype in the world but only a 8-8 or better season will bring out the fence sitters.

flocker

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fine.

I'll wait until next year to spend anymore of my money on the Bidwills. I advise the rest of you do the same and really make a statement about the state of this organization.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. They clearly want to win THIS season. The Bidwills are pimping those corporate suites, a winning record will sell a lot more. Besides, Mike Bidwill told me two years ago that he wanted a Lombardi tropy to put in the stadium when it opened. Not after the first year. The way he said it, I believe him. I think he hates to lose. Everything we read about his personality and Green's does not lead me to believe they would purposely tank any season. Remember, Green gets a million dollar bonus if this team makes the playoffs. I seriously doubt he wrote that off.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I disagree. They clearly want to win THIS season. The Bidwills are pimping those corporate suites, a winning record will sell a lot more. Besides, Mike Bidwill told me two years ago that he wanted a Lombardi tropy to put in the stadium when it opened. Not after the first year. The way he said it, I believe him. I think he hates to lose. Everything we read about his personality and Green's does not lead me to believe they would purposely tank any season. Remember, Green gets a million dollar bonus if this team makes the playoffs. I seriously doubt he wrote that off.

I don't think we are "tanking" the season in any way shape or form. Everyone wants to win now, but I do believe that DG has a more realistic approach in mind. Play the young guys so they gain experience now...all while putting his eggs into next seasons basket.

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
I don't buy it either. Just classic Cardinal appologists. Were always playing for next year when we will actually be a good team. Couldn't have possibly sent some of the 5mil that they still have under the cap to fix some of these problems.

I guess it's all you can do as a fan. Sad thing is, next year never seems to come for this organization.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flocker said:
Fine.

I'll wait until next year to spend anymore of my money on the Bidwills. I advise the rest of you do the same and really make a statement about the state of this organization.

This is the kind of attitude that has kept the Cards as perinneal loosers. If you don't think the Bidwills have turned things around and are really trying to win, you need to have your head examined.

If you want to troll, go to the Cardinals official board. They'll appreciate you there.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Michael Bidwill did state at one point that they were building for the 2006 season. That they figured the rebuilding would take 3 years. They wanted a championship caliber team the year they opened the new stadium. That came from him.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I agree with Clif that they'll take whatever win they can get now but the plan is all for 2006. Green just might be looking to have his young DOH!line jelling for that year.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
CardShark said:
Michael Bidwill did state at one point that they were building for the 2006 season. That they figured the rebuilding would take 3 years. They wanted a championship caliber team the year they opened the new stadium. That came from him.

Michael Bidwill is behind schedule. Almost halfway into the plan and his team can't score a touchdown on one of the worst defenses in the league.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Michael Bidwill is behind schedule. Almost halfway into the plan and his team can't score a touchdown on one of the worst defenses in the league.

Yes, the offense is behind schedule. The defense is almost there.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
CardShark said:
I agree with Clif that they'll take whatever win they can get now but the plan is all for 2006. Green just might be looking to have his young DOH!line jelling for that year.

Sorry but I still dont believe it no matter what Mikey B or Green has said. The B's still are in the business of making money, every owner is, which means they want a new stadium filled with fans, and the only way that happens is if the team is winning.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Sorry but I still dont believe it no matter what Mikey B or Green has said. The B's still are in the business of making money, every owner is, which means they want a new stadium filled with fans, and the only way that happens is if the team is winning.

They still make their money, at least until the high powered teams get their way in the collective bargaining agreement. The new stadium will be near full capacity just for the fact that it's the inaugral year of the stadium.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
CardShark said:
The new stadium will be near full capacity just for the fact that it's the inaugral year of the stadium.

Well then maybe its just the pessimist in me, becuase I think if the season keeps going the way it is it will be a very embarrassing Stadium grand opening.

Will they still make money, yes, but not even close to what they can make if this team is .500 or better going into the new stadium.

Plus it isnt just about the B's not making as much as they could it is about Green not getting his 1 mill. playoff bonus.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stout said:

My guess is few NFL teams play for next year as the season opens. they may shift to this gear as the season progresses. With free agency you can go from bottom to top in one year just like San Diego. If you are playing for next year you will usually have some players that will be leaving next year. If we do not get this team on track then be assured Boldin will be out of here in one more year. Good players never want to stick with a team that has a history like ours. Call it bad luck, bad owership, bad players or what ever we have been the worst team in the NFL for many years. Once you get a history like ours it is hard to turn it around. FA's do not want to come here except at a premium price. I sure do not have an answer. I do know a new stadium will not make a better team. DG has received a lot of hype but so far as won and losses are concerned he is just like the rest of our head coaches.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
clif said:
I don't think we are "tanking" the season in any way shape or form. Everyone wants to win now, but I do believe that DG has a more realistic approach in mind. Play the young guys so they gain experience now...all while putting his eggs into next seasons basket.

Do we have an offensive line that can get better with experience. I really do not think so.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
RedForeman said:
I don't buy it either. Just classic Cardinal appologists. Were always playing for next year when we will actually be a good team. Couldn't have possibly sent some of the 5mil that they still have under the cap to fix some of these problems.

I guess it's all you can do as a fan. Sad thing is, next year never seems to come for this organization.

You said a lot when you mentioned that CAP money in the bank. That could have bought a good OL or maybe 2 better than what we have. Perhaps even a TE. We clearly entered this season without the personnel to compete for playoff spot. Some say we do not want to get into CAP hell. Well, we are in W-L hell. Which is worse?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
john h said:
You said a lot when you mentioned that CAP money in the bank. That could have bought a good OL or maybe 2 better than what we have. Perhaps even a TE. We clearly entered this season without the personnel to compete for playoff spot. Some say we do not want to get into CAP hell. Well, we are in W-L hell. Which is worse?

Cap hell is worse to answer your question, but who knows what moves they tried to make that didn't happen..

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont get why people want leinart so bad, hes on a superstar team that not many in college can compete with, plug him into our team with the terrible offencive line and hell turn into a big fat bust

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Those of you gainsaying my post, think of the alternative. If the team isn't looking to next season and trying to get the young guys experience, then Green is an idiot, and Graves to boot. If they seriously expected to compete from game one (barring injury) with THIS offensive line, then I question their competence in football matters. This line is terrible. MAYBE it will get better in time, but in no way will it be in time for this year.

Playoffs? Where's Mora when you need him?