Tim Couch anyone?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
As for Leinart, at least there are several other potential franchise QB's (Chris Leak, Reggie McNeil, Vince Young-- even though I'm not a fan personally, Omar Jacobs) who could be ours for the taking if the Cards pull their typical uphill swing.
If we don't have a shot at Leinhart, I'm not sure Denny will go the QB route in the first round (granted, at least a couple of those guys should be there in rd. 2, right?). The draft will have a lot of OL talent in it, and we might grab one of those guys if we're drafting 4-8, IMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
If we don't have a shot at Leinhart, I'm not sure Denny will go the QB route in the first round (granted, at least a couple of those guys should be there in rd. 2, right?). The draft will have a lot of OL talent in it, and we might grab one of those guys if we're drafting 4-8, IMO.

I could see Denny taking Leak although he's small, McNeal is not his style of QB, Jacobs certainly could be a Green guy too.

Depends where we pick, if we're in the top 5 Green is probably not the coach, top 10 maybe, outside of 10 he's the coach.

Leak will probably not go top 10 because of his height, McNeal isn't a first round QB either is Young who I still believe won't play QB in the NFL.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Lomax has a son who's either a hotshot senior QB in HS or a freshman in college, I know Cal was recruiting him but I don't know where he is.

Found him, Nick Lomax 6'6" 210 pound freshman QB at Boise State. So all we gotta do is wait 2 more years and draft him after his junior year.

Found this info about Lomax on www.kcbitv.com, website of the CBS Boise affiliate.

Lomax is a 6-foot 7-inch pocket passer. His coach Steve Coury said Lomax has a strong accurate arm and can make throws all over the field.

The first team all Oregon QB, passed for nearly 2,790 yards, 30-touchdown passes and just five interceptions. He led Lake Oswego High to a 12-2 record and a berth in the state title game. Lomax chose Boise State over Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Hawaii.

Sounds a tad bit like his old man.

Pariah said:

Jacobs, Leinart and Leak will all be gone in the first.

McNeil might still be around in the second, as will Bruce Gradkowski of Toledo, and possibly Young (even though I could see him going in the first.. If Matt Jones went in the first, I can't see Young falling out of it, based on his overall athleticism. I see him as a WR on the next level).

Other QBs worth noting that could possibly be available via draft are Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt, Kellen Clemens of Oregon, and Drew Tate of Iowa. Also, Keller of ASU isn't to be ignored either.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Nick Lomax

Lomax: "Obviously the first thing that stands out about me is my height, so you'd be able to pick me out pretty easily," he said. "I have poise out there, the team relies on me. I have great leadership. I have a good arm, which is needed and I'm quick and agile for my size. I can avoid the rush pretty well and can run well for the size that I am. I have good vision. I can see the receivers and know the combination routes. Maybe even here and there I'll take a chance and squeeze one in there that maybe other guys wouldn't think of doing."

Coach's Comment: "It was amazing, I could almost envision being back at Civic (Stadium), watching a young Neil Lomax throw, and how impressed I was with his touch," said Air Attack coach Greg Barton. "And watching this kid, it was like time stood still. It was scary, it was weird. The only difference is that Nick is 6-foot-7. But their passes, their touch, is the same. He can throw a 20-yard out with touch. Neil was a late developer. He developed as he was going into college. Nick is developing about 6 months earlier than his father did. And another difference is that Nick is a lot better athlete than his Dad was."

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Grand Canon

Rookie
Reaction score
Leinhart

Drafting a QB that high is dumb- its 50/50 at best - Think about all the failures that were QBs taken so high- I would much rather have Reggie Bush-
Before someone say a smart a$$ comment about Peyton - think Leaf- and so forth....

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grand Canon said:
Drafting a QB that high is dumb- its 50/50 at best - Think about all the failures that were QBs taken so high- I would much rather have Reggie Bush-
Before someone say a smart a$$ comment about Peyton - think Leaf- and so forth....
Right, because taking a RB that high is a sure-thing. The draft is a gamble in every position and we need to stop dicking around with the QB position.

For every Manning there is a Leaf. For every LaDanian Tomlinson there is a Curtis Enis.

But you gotta take chances or you'll end up with fewer and fewer blue-chip players on your team. Think of it this way: for every Akili Smith there's a Dante Culpepper, or for every Blair Thomas there is a Barry Sanders.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Grand Canon said:

I can't imagine anyone taking reggie bush #1 overall. I absolutely would love to have him, but I can't see paying him top 5 money while still having a hole at QB

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Pariah said:
For every LaDanian Tomlinson there is a Curtis Enis, for every Blair Thomas there is a Barry Sanders.

:cry:

Did you HAVE to mention the Penn State busts in your comparisons??

:cry: :cry:

LOL :thumbup: I'm just kidding man.. Good posts and valid points. The draft is such a crapshoot. You never really can forsee how well someone's going to play.

Think of it this way. When coming out of Michigan, did ANYONE project Tom Brady was going to wind up being a 3 time Super Bowl winner and one of the best of our generation? The guy was drafted lower than Josh Booty for Christs Sake.

On the flipside of that, you never know who's going to be the next Brian Bosworth, Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf. Projections are great, but they are so vastly inaccurate it's unreal.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Snake said:
:cry:

Did you HAVE to mention the Penn State busts in your comparisons??

:cry: :cry:

LOL :thumbup: I'm just kidding man.. Good posts and valid points. The draft is such a crapshoot. You never really can forsee how well someone's going to play.

Think of it this way. When coming out of Michigan, did ANYONE project Tom Brady was going to wind up being a 3 time Super Bowl winner and one of the best of our generation? The guy was drafted lower than Josh Booty for Christs Sake.

On the flipside of that, you never know who's going to be the next Brian Bosworth, Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf. Projections are great, but they are so vastly inaccurate it's unreal.

Bosworth's career ended because of injury - Mandarich came back and had a number of years as a starting guard with Indy until he messed up a leg - Now, LEAF - that's a real bust with absolutely no redeeming features.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leif had one redeeming quality. His press interviews were always a riot to watch.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grand Canon said:

RB's have shorter careers and Rb's Bush size are pretty rare in the NFL.

Of the top 10 rushers last year only 2 are close to Bush in size, Tiki Barber and LT. It took Tiki until his 4th year to lead the Giants in rushing, then he's been good ever since.

LT is about the same height but listed at 221 which is about 20 pounds heavier than Bush' listed weight and I hear that Bush is lighter than 200.

Bush is special, he's going to be a very good test case for the NFL, I've never seen a RB that fast who has his cutting ability, Bennett is probably the fastest RB in NFL history but he's a straight line guy he's not a guy who has that stop and start dance and dart style of running, Bush is, and then when he gets into the open field he runs a 10.42 100 meters(did as a senior in HS).

FWIW Pete Carroll insists that Bush' biggest asset is his hands, he says Bush has the best hands of any player he's ever seen at any level, not just RB's, Wr's included. He says what makes Bush so valuable is that he's so talented defenses have to account for him on every play, and that opens up the field to the other players.

I'd love to have him but I have to admit I'm a bit concerned about how he'll last in the NFL at his size.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05