Tim Thomas Don't Re-sign...

BOLDIN

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I loved Tim Thomas in the playoffs but I have been thinking about it and if we end up keeping Tim Thomas, we can't have Marion or vice versa. The team chemistry is going to get so messed up next year when Amare is back to taking 20 shots a game. The key people losing looks will be TT, Matrix and Diaw.

I personally would rather get rid of Marion and have two of the biggest, strongest guys down low who have nasty attitudes in Amare and TT, but that is unlikely. Can you imagine having two guys on the same team that are liable, both mentally and physically to whoop anyone on the courts ass at any moment on the same side?

We ahve to remember that TT was in a contract year and he basically made himself millions in the playoffs. Who is to say that he wont go back to the unperforming cancer that he was for years in Chi, Mil, and NY?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I agree..get rid of Marion and keep TT. We aleady have Diaw too so what do we need overpriced Shawn for? I'll always like the Matrix but economics play a part in the NBA so we have to deal with it. We have plenty of other players to step in anyway...

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree with the first post [aside from the second paragraph].

Getting rid of Marion to re-sign TT would be like trading Nash in order to resign Barbosa. It's not going to happen, nor should it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
With what you say is true, getting rid of Marion for TT would be a huge mistake...TT has already worn out his welcome at several other teams...Next year, if he's not getting the shots he got this year, I believe he'd become disgruntled and a cancer in the locker room...Marion, on the other hand, is the consumate team player...He did it last year and he'll do it again. IMO TT is like TO...gonna get one good year from him and then who knows??????

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
can you imagine if how bad we'd get outrebounded if we replaced marion with TT?

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
...Marion, on the other hand, is the consumate team player...

Yeah, if you asked him, he would tell you the same thing, know what I'm sayin'.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
can you imagine if how bad we'd get outrebounded if we replaced marion with TT?

Exactly, the Suns can't play the style they play without the rebounding of Marion.

nowagimp

Reaction score
If it was straight up Marion or TT , I'd take marion anyday. TT cant play hard for 35-40 mins at both ends of the floor, and isnt as versatile. But if TT is MLE money, 5 mil/yr, and Matrix is 16+ mil/yr its not a straight up deal.

Its is more like:

Marion= Diaw +TT

or TT + 2 more MLE players

In that case I'd take TT + Diaw.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing I can say about Marion is, even when he disappears, you can count on the fact he's still playing to the point of exhaustion. I think TT disappears more often than people remember, too, but even in his short time I have wondered if it was for lack of effort.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
If it was straight up Marion or TT , I'd take marion anyday. TT cant play hard for 35-40 mins at both ends of the floor, and isnt as versatile. But if TT is MLE money, 5 mil/yr, and Matrix is 16+ mil/yr its not a straight up deal.

Its is more like:

Marion= Diaw +TT

or TT + 2 more MLE players

In that case I'd take TT + Diaw.

This is the only guy on the thread that gets it. But its not just that because we'd get some retrun on Marion as well.

nowagimp

Reaction score
How many players at 5 mil a year can make the big shot in the crunch, spread the floor, and create all kinds of mismatches? Raja Bell is a fantastic deal at 5 mil. There arent many other that can be impact players at the MLE, unless they are still on rookie contracts(Diaw). The suns need to take advantage of the fact that some players are willing to play on the suns for less because of the system. I think that TT is one of those players.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fans that want to keep Marion never consider the money aspect of the game. Its not about us drafting Marion or is Diaw as good as Marion...Its Diaw is GOOD ENOUGH for the price we'll be getting him for.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge problem here. The Suns are already hurting in 2 areas.

REBOUNDING AND DEFENSE.

Tim Thomas does neither as well as Marion. If you say you would rather have Tim Thomas then Marion then sure our offense won't suffer much. However, what you do give up is rebounding, defense and some athleticism.

This team would be a disaster next season if you didn't have Marion or someone to replaced him with a presence like Kevin G. If this Suns simply dump Marion to give up his spot to Tim Thomas, this team will be a defensive and rebounding disaster that will be worse then this year.

Marion does so many things that other players don't. Plus how many small forwards do what he does at his size? None. You can't give up his intangibles just to give Tim Thomas a spot. I would rather see Tim Thomas leave then take the spot of a player who considered one of the best small forwards in the entire league.

Last edited:

moviebuff316

Registered
Reaction score
Getting rid of marion is dumb.. Marion is a one of a kind type of small forward. TIm Thomas would be good on the bench..I think he could work good with amare and everyone. In my Opinion we should get rid of James Jones. He is inconsistent.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moviebuff316 said:
Getting rid of marion is dumb.. Marion is a one of a kind type of small forward. TIm Thomas would be good on the bench..I think he could work good with amare and everyone. In my Opinion we should get rid of James Jones. He is inconsistent.

I am not sure get rid of him. However, James Jones proved he is not ready for the big time. He completely dissappeared in the playoffs and hit shot was horrid.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone knows Marion is an allstar and great rebounder and da da da but Diaw is a lot of things too and will be a lot less money....plus he's a decent rebounder himself! If money and age wern't factors then yeah I'd say keep every player we like regardless.

Trading Marion this year isnt necessary but next year could be. We'll have to see how things go and if Diaw improves even more.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
moviebuff316 said:

James Jones isnt making 14 mill per either...

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another thing thats "dumb" is turning a fine player like Diaw into a bench icon because of not getting enough minutes next season instead of having him in the starting linup where he should be. When Amare comes back Diaws minutes will drop...thats another reason to trade Marion.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pokerface said:
James Jones isnt making 14 mill per either...

And this point is lost on everyone who grades the Suns based on what they see on the court. If Marion was making $8 to $10 mil per, I doubt anyone would be crying for a trade. Instead, Marion will be collecting ~ $50 million over the next three years, or roughly ~ $2 million less than Kobe Bryant will make over the same period.

The question is not whether Marion is an important part of the team. The question is whether Marion's production is worth what the Suns can't afford because of the stress Marion's salary puts on the Suns's salary ceiling. People throwing out stats aren't going far enough, because one Marion is roughly equivalent to two high-end MLEs. In other terms, Marion can't complain about playing 40 minutes a night because his salary demands it.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
And this point is lost on everyone who grades the Suns based on what they see on the court. If Marion was making $8 to $10 mil per, I doubt anyone would be crying for a trade. Instead, Marion will be collecting ~ $50 million over the next three years, or roughly ~ $2 million less than Kobe Bryant will make over the same period.

The question is not whether Marion is an important part of the team. The question is whether Marion's production is worth what the Suns can't afford because of the stress Marion's salary puts on the Suns's salary ceiling. People throwing out stats aren't going far enough, because one Marion is roughly equivalent to two high-end MLEs. In other terms, Marion can't complain about playing 40 minutes a night because his salary demands it.

Ah... economics. What is the opportunity cost of keeping Marion?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:

Exactly. Plus now would be a good time to trade Marion because he's coming off a career year and his stock has never been higher.

Bottomline with Amare (and Kurt) returning and having MIP Diaw on the roster means Marion for all his talents is expendable. Not only that but if we keep TT thats just another quality player struggling to get minutes.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:

kobe will make about 10 mil more than marion during the 06-09 seasons so i dont know where you pulled the 2 mil less than kobe bryant out of.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
kobe will make about 10 mil more than marion during the 06-09 seasons so i dont know where you pulled the 2 mil less than kobe bryant out of.

I looked at the wrong lines of Kobe's reported contract:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$17,718,750[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$19,490,625[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$21,262,500[/FONT]​

Marion:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$15,070,000[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,440,000[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$17,180,000[/FONT]​

I still argue the disparity between the contracts is not as great as it should be. If anything, Marion and Nash should trade contracts. Then it would make financial sense.