Todd Heap

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I answered your initial question here: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2480968&postcount=45

Which clearly states they released for salary cap reasons.

Do you really expect me to go back and research EVERY single player the Ravens have ever released over the age of 30? :D

So let me get this straight you think Kolb has the ONLY decent move so far this year? All of the signings suck IYO?

I'm not a fan of Colledge. my best friend's wife is a Packer fan who laughed when we signed him and my best friend who's a die-hard Cardinals fan and has to watch every one of those games with her sadly concurred with her. He's average at best.

King... a blocking TE... eh. okay signing.

Eason - camp fodder for all I care.

Syndlein - never been very impressed with him. But I'm sure he came cheap, so great.

Bradley - am appalled at. quite simply appalled. He hasn't played well since 2008 and has missed 20 games in the last two years and I KNOW we already have him penciled in as a starter. Make your crystal ball comments if you want, but people told me I was crazy when I said Lennon was signed to be a starter and was right. This team is predictable like that.

so... no. I am not only completely underwhelmed by who we've signed, while just shaking my head at who was allowed to leave for a third season as the exodus from the only good squad the Cardinals ever had has left us with 5 of 22 starters from our playoff teams. In comparison, the Steelers (you know, the model we're "following) have 16 starters back from their Super Bowl team when we played them.

this entire off-season is wholly dependent on a series of ifs... if Peterson is good, if Toler can show anything better than last year when he showed next to nothing... if Schofield can make plays... if we get a good 3rd CB... if Doucet can stay healthy... if Bradley has a return to 3 years ago form and doesn't suffer the same injury problems he's had for 2 consecutive years... if Horton (our third choide) can even coach a defense, especially considering the weakness of the Steelers D has always been the secondary... if Levi Brown gets his head out of his ass... if Daryl Washington can actually show a reason why he was a second round pick... if Adrian Wilson, who's on the wrong side of 30 can come back from a bad, injury plagued year and really, the biggest one... if we find a way to get Paris Lennon off the field... If our Running back for some reason figure out a way to hold on to the ball... and the list goes on, with the BIGGEST IF being... IF KOLB IS GOOD.

Out of 51 roster spots, we have four spots with no questions. Fitz, Rhodes Dockett and Feely. That's just not enough to get me excited. Is it any coincidence that those three guys are all right in the middle of their prime and everyone else on the team for the most part is a baby or past their prime? There's no certainty of anything in the NFL, but good football teams don't go into the a season with 40 question marks.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEW RULE: If you were 5-11 and last in your division and a very good player says he wants to play for you, you sign him.

Pfffttt. Last year's record doesn't matter, I like living in the present.

Back to how many people are still on the team from our super bowl appearance?

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm all for Heap. I agree with those who say we have other needs to address, but that shouldn't prevent us from bringing in talent. Word is that Housler is pretty raw, anyway. A season behind King/Heap, especially without the benefit of a full offseason, could be good for him.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless we don't sign him, then Rod Graves will be a Heap of Failure.

It just all depends on how it goes.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I see the plan....new o line all with TEs except sendlein...

Heap Dray Sendlein Spach Housler

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Colledge. my best friend's wife is a Packer fan who laughed when we signed him and my best friend who's a die-hard Cardinals fan and has to watch every one of those games with her sadly concurred with her. He's average at best.

Your taking this from casual football fans about guard play? Sounds like typical fan speak whom seem to bash most players now that they are gone. YOU KNOW this happens. He certainly HAS to be better than who he is replacing (faneca wouldn't you say)

Eason - camp fodder for all I care.

Why do you call Eason camp fodder? He isnt terribly old and is defintiely decent deoth where we need it. Is he a sexy pick up? No. But camp fodder? Come on bro?

Bradley - am appalled at. quite simply appalled. He hasn't played well since 2008 and has missed 20 games in the last two years and I KNOW we already have him penciled in as a starter. Make your crystal ball comments if you want, but people told me I was crazy when I said Lennon was signed to be a starter and was right. This team is predictable like that.

Well many people in the NFL like this kid. Even Jaworski I think it was saying the kid has OB talent. He is a BIG inside LBer which is just what we need. Low risk high reward type of signing. Of course he hasn't played well since 2008. He wad an ACL tear in )( and was on his first year back last season. You know most people take a full 2 years before they are back to 100%.. Its cool that you arent enamored with it. but the kid absolutely HAS TALENT!

this entire off-season is wholly dependent on a series of ifs... if Peterson is good, if Toler can show anything better than last year when he showed next to nothing... if Schofield can make plays... if we get a good 3rd CB... if Doucet can stay healthy... if Bradley has a return to 3 years ago form and doesn't suffer the same injury problems he's had for 2 consecutive years... if Horton (our third choide) can even coach a defense, especially considering the weakness of the Steelers D has always been the secondary... if Levi Brown gets his head out of his ass... if Daryl Washington can actually show a reason why he was a second round pick... if Adrian Wilson, who's on the wrong side of 30 can come back from a bad, injury plagued year and really, the biggest one... if we find a way to get Paris Lennon off the field... If our Running back for some reason figure out a way to hold on to the ball... and the list goes on, with the BIGGEST IF being... IF KOLB IS GOOD.

Alot of Hyperbole in here too my friend. Toler showed more than you give him credit for and so did Daryl Washington.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't so much arguing against your point as I was saying that the FO just can't keep good players on the roster. Both were unhappy with mgt and Graves, et al just couldn't get it straightened out.

Not saying it doesn't happen with other teams, just the Cards seem to make it a way of life

Five years ago, I would have agreed with you. Can you imagine the Cards at that time doing the kind of deal they just did for Kolb? We don't know how that is going to turn out, but at least we have a 50 - 50 shot at suceeding. The same ole Cards would never have taken a chance like that.

The FO is doing everything in their power to turn this ship around. A lifetime of losing is a hard thing to overcome and you are going to hit some bumps in the road along the way. The thing is to not lose your focus and continue down the path you have created.

I believe we are on the right path and have the proper personnel in the
FO to accomplish this turn around. It's taking longer than I had hoped and we have made some wrong turns, but we continue to head in the right direction. And I'm excited about that direction. As excited as I was during the Coryell years. The difference between Coryell and Wiz is that Wiz's teams seem to be able to win the big games.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Five years ago, I would have agreed with you. Can you imagine the Cards at that time doing the kind of deal they just did for Kolb? We don't know how that is going to turn out, but at least we have a 50 - 50 shot at suceeding. The same ole Cards would never have taken a chance like that.

The FO is doing everything in their power to turn this ship around. A lifetime of losing is a hard thing to overcome and you are going to hit some bumps in the road along the way. The thing is to not lose your focus and continue down the path you have created.

FO to accomplish this turn around. It's taking longer than I had hoped and we have made some wrong turns, but we continue to head in the right direction. And I'm excited about that direction. As excited as I was during the Coryell years. The difference between Coryell and Wiz is that Wiz's teams seem to be able to win the big games.

Hopefully it is quick....the turnaround from the Superbowl appearance took no time at all!!

chickenhead

Reaction score
I like how you hear a name and people just freak out. It also depends on what the deal is. I don't see why the FO shouldn't be exploring all options.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that's not what is happening. It's perform to the end of your rookie contract and then you're gone. We were 5-11 last year because they dismantled the team that won back to back Division Titles. And its not just Warner. 17 starters from the SB team gone in just two seasons? I don't think that's exactly what all of us Cards fans wanted.

40 that's the same argument we heard last year. "People are getting upset because we are dismantling the Defense that gave up 90 points in the playoffs." Didn't help did it?

But we have a new young QB and 78 new players to check out at camp so what the heck.

The problem is that it is just Warner. If he had come back last year, we would have won the division again. When Warner left, he took the heart of the team with him. How do you think the Colts would play if they suddenly lost Payton? Some people are bigger than life and for two years that was Kurt Warner and the Cardinals.

As far as dismantling the defense is concerned, it might have worked if they weren't having to play 60% of the snaps. It's really disheartening to hand over a turn over to your offense and watch them go 3 and out. How many times did that happen? After a while, everyone drops into mediocrity and you start losing all the close games.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I won't disagree that they are trying to overcome years, nay decades, of incompetence. Is it taking longer than you've hoped???? My man, we have been fans since the 1960s...:D

It's just exasperating sometimes because it usually seems like 1 step forward, 2 back..etc

I will say you're right about Whiz winning big games...all except the Big One:sad:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't disagree that they are trying to overcome years, nay decades, of incompetence. Is it taking longer than you've hoped???? My man, we have been fans since the 1960s...:D

It's just exasperating sometimes because it usually seems like 1 step forward, 2 back..etc

I will say you're right about Whiz winning big games...all except the Big One:sad:

And it was sooooo close.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
All you optimists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Arizona_Cardinals#2010

History says that about now is when our coach's career goes into the toilet, no one since Don Coryell has ever survived, "did Joe Bugel ever get another HC'ing gig?" coaching this team career wise.

Not in the NFL at least, Stallings won a NC in college.

It's because our FO isn't very good IMO.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The difference between Coryell and Wiz is that Wiz's teams seem to be able to win the big games.

I especially liked the way the Wiz team took the momentum from the victory over the Cowboys to SF with them last season.

The one thing we have seen from CKW's teams that we didn't see from Coryell's teams is that Wiz teams like to quit. Check it in when things get tough. And coast when things are going good. Trying to give up big leads has become a CKW trademark. They had Philly down 24-6, at home, in the NFC Championship game and had to come from behind to win. They had GB down 1,327-0 in round one of the 2009 playoffs and had to win in OT.

Great that they rallied but is it too much to ask that the Cards step on a teams throat and rip out their heart when our boys get a lead?

That's something that has to change and here's hoping this is the year it does.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I especially liked the way the Wiz team took the momentum from the victory over the Cowboys to SF with them last season.

The one thing we have seen from CKW's teams that we didn't see from Coryell's teams is that Wiz teams like to quit. Check it in when things get tough. And coast when things are going good. Trying to give up big leads has become a CKW trademark. They had Philly down 24-6, at home, in the NFC Championship game and had to come from behind to win. They had GB down 1,327-0 in round one of the 2009 playoffs and had to win in OT.

Great that they rallied but is it too much to ask that the Cards step on a teams throat and rip out their heart when our boys get a lead?

That's something that has to change and here's hoping this is the year it does.

How many playoff games did Coryell win and how many has Wiz won?