Todd McShay: Henry/Shelton Deal Will Happen in the Next Few Days

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trey said:
The Cardinals did not swap third round picks with New England. They traded Starks for New England's third rounder, #95 overall I think.

you are correct. I have been outta the loop for a few days... been doped up on 'tussin :D .

Either way I still dont see Denny swapping picks when he could just as easily keep shelton for depth.

OP
OP
bills_phan

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Gee! said:
Bills suck.

There I said it.
That's not nice. I see no Bills fans here trashing your team. Not for nuthin', but you are a Cardinals fan...
:trout:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
That's not nice. I see no Bills fans here trashing your team. Not for nuthin', but you are a Cardinals fan...
:trout:
lol

Ya like the most overly used phrase <any team here> sucks really hurt you.

:rolleyes:

Chipper up, maybe youll get to another superbowl to choke again.

:D

OP
OP
bills_phan

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Gee! said:
lol

Ya like the most overly used phrase <any team here> sucks really hurt you.

:rolleyes:

Chipper up, maybe youll get to another superbowl to choke again.

:D
Well, we got there, we got there, we got there, and got there again. I'm relatively thick-skinned, but have seen what this type of "banter" can degenerate into - just trying to head it off before it gets to that point. I've enjoyed the conversation here, but realize we'll not chat again after this trade goes down. I've got no beef with Cards fan.

OP
OP
bills_phan

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Update from ESPN Insider:

Apr. 6 - Scouts Inc. is hearing that the long-rumored Travis Henry-for-L.J. Shelton trade will be consummated within the next few days.

The deal has been delayed over the Bills' insistence that draft picks become part of the deal. Buffalo has been asking the Cardinals to switch spots in the second round, which Arizona now appears willing to do. If the trade goes through, Buffalo will move up from pick No. 55 to No. 44.

The only thing that could hold up the deal now is the status of Henry's contract. He has one year left on his deal, and the Cardinals would want to sign him to a long-term contract before make a trade.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
Update from ESPN Insider:

I read that too and it totally contradicts what Green has said publicly on radio. He not only said he won't swap picks, he said he has "no interest" in signing Henry to a long term deal now, he wants him to "prove himself" before the Cards consider an extension.

Not saying INsiders is wrong, but if they're right then Green isn't making this trade someone else like Graves is.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I don't think Denny will switch picks either. I think it will definately be done though.

I predict we will either take DJ, Rolle or PacMan with our first pick.

The second pick will either be RB or CB.

It will be a great draft if we can get Henry without giving up a pick.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I hope we don't swap second round picks but if they do it what really is the difference between the #44 player and the #55 player? Supposedly this draft is kinda loaded with first day picks after about midway through round 1 with a bunch of players of similar ability.

If we get Henry we go defense in round 1 and I bet round 2 as well(LB & CB or CB & CB?)...I doubt we'd pick another RB before round 3.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Not saying INsiders is wrong, but if they're right then Green isn't making this trade someone else like Graves is.

Shouldn't Graves be making trades and such anyway? Mularkey is our coach but it is not up to him to make these deals, it is the GM, Donahoe. Why isn't it Graves that we hear coming out in the media from the Cards?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
*sigh* AGAIN. Why would the Cardinals do anything more than a swap of players when...A-there are 3 quality backs at the top of the draft, B-the draft is loaded with RB talent, C-Henry has injury problems, D-Henry is in the last year of his contract, E-Henry didn't produce jack squat last year?

Yes, Shelton A-is in the doghouse, B-was injured recently, C-isn't a current starter, and so forth, but he has positives like length of contract and a reasonable salary. Henry has positives too. NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING, gives Buffalo an advantage here.

We can ignore Henry and go get our RB elsewhere...where the hell is Buffalo going to get their starting LT? In a tackle-thin draft and a non-existant FA pool? Hmm...

Stout

Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Shouldn't Graves be making trades and such anyway? Mularkey is our coach but it is not up to him to make these deals, it is the GM, Donahoe. Why isn't it Graves that we hear coming out in the media from the Cards?

Graves should be barred from making any trade decisions on his own, IMO, after that fiasco a couple of years ago. Utter idiocy, it was.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:

BEcause Green is the "face" and voice of the team. Every good move is credited to Green, every bad move is blamed on Graves. :D

FYI Graves has commented on the deal before essentially saying the same as Green.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Straight up or no deal. And I like Henry.

A-Bomb

Reaction score
DMBills36 said:

Denny Green enjoys being in the spotlight... Rod Graves has no such inclination! Kind of the opposite of in Buffalo... :D

Stout, which fiasco is it you are referencing? :cool:

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
abomb said:
Straight up or no deal. And I like Henry.

A-Bomb

Like my fellow Bills fan said, it is up to Green. As it looks right now from these 2 most recent rumors sources, Green seems to have "blinked" and it looks as though we'll be getting our compensation that we feel Henry is worth.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
Stout said:
*sigh* AGAIN. Why would the Cardinals do anything more than a swap of players when...A-there are 3 quality backs at the top of the draft, B-the draft is loaded with RB talent, C-Henry has injury problems, D-Henry is in the last year of his contract, E-Henry didn't produce jack squat last year?

Yes, Shelton A-is in the doghouse, B-was injured recently, C-isn't a current starter, and so forth, but he has positives like length of contract and a reasonable salary. Henry has positives too. NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING, gives Buffalo an advantage here.

We can ignore Henry and go get our RB elsewhere...where the hell is Buffalo going to get their starting LT? In a tackle-thin draft and a non-existant FA pool? Hmm...

Henry's injuries are not really that big of a problem. He plays through almost all injuries. Also, he didn't produce because McGahee is amazing and stole his job. You're distorting the real reason he didn't produce, which is really McGahee. And once again, you and I can say what we want. We're obviously going to vouch for our teams and positions. But guess what? It's between Graves, oops I mean Green, and Donahoe. And it looks as though things are leaning towards the Bills with the latest news/rumors.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Henry's injuries are not really that big of a problem. He plays through almost all injuries. Also, he didn't produce because McGahee is amazing and stole his job. You're distorting the real reason he didn't produce, which is really McGahee. And once again, you and I can say what we want. We're obviously going to vouch for our teams and positions. But guess what? It's between Graves, oops I mean Green, and Donahoe. And it looks as though things are leaning towards the Bills with the latest news/rumors.

bet ya a 20 your wrong...

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Cards need more than 1 position to be filled in the draft/free agnency -- RB and CB. That's why I agree with this trade. I just don't think you will fill both. Trade for the RB, draft the CB.

Stout

Reaction score
CardLogic said:
Denny Green enjoys being in the spotlight... Rod Graves has no such inclination! Kind of the opposite of in Buffalo... :D

Stout, which fiasco is it you are referencing? :cool:

Trading a #6 overall pick for two lower first rounders, but then GIVING away a fourth rounder and trading DOWN in the second round in order to do so, and THEN reaching like crazy with the two picks we did have *shudder* It's the kind of thing that, if it's not stopped (as thank heaven's it has been!), will destroy a franchise.

Stout

Reaction score
DMBills36 said:

I love how you read 'rumor sources' and credit them as a reason that Green has blinked. Kirwin reported the deal will get done and it will get done without the idiotic compensation your team is seeking. Green has personally said we will not trade picks, but will stockpile them. I can quote just as many sources as you can. IMO, either the deal gets done, player-for-player, or it doesn't go down at all. If Donahoe owns up to it, fine, we get Henry, you get Shelton. If not, Green and Graves will tell him to shove it, and the deal won't get done. If I had $1,000, I'd bet it with you in a heartbeat that we won't swap second rounders in addition to sending you guys Shelton for Henry. Just na ganna happen.

And Henry DID fail to produce last year, whatever the reason was. People have made excuses for it (the line took time to gell, the team overall did better later in the year, etc), but the bottom line was---running game with Henry=not good, running game with McGahee=good. Slice it any way you want, that's the reality.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Trading a #6 overall pick for two lower first rounders, but then GIVING away a fourth rounder and trading DOWN in the second round in order to do so, and THEN reaching like crazy with the two picks we did have *shudder* It's the kind of thing that, if it's not stopped (as thank heaven's it has been!), will destroy a franchise.

Stop twisting things around to make things sound worse. j/k.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Stout said:

Remember: according to nidan, that was all Mac's idea. In fact, everything that turned out badly except hiring Dennis Green was Mac's idea, not Rod's. Extending L.J. and Raynoch: Mac. Drafting Pace and Johnson: Mac. Drafting Anquan: Graves. Drafting Gerald Hayes: TBD (depends on whether he's good this season). Signing Spikes, Garcia, & Hodgins: Mac.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan