Todd McShay: Henry/Shelton Deal Will Happen in the Next Few Days

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Stout said:
Trading a #6 overall pick for two lower first rounders, but then GIVING away a fourth rounder and trading DOWN in the second round in order to do so, and THEN reaching like crazy with the two picks we did have *shudder* It's the kind of thing that, if it's not stopped (as thank heaven's it has been!), will destroy a franchise.
I agree that those two picks were reaches, but the one thing that amaze me abuot that draft is, that Graves gets blamed for trading down but is NOT credited for drafting Boldin, Hayes, King and Wells in that same exact draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
BACH said:
I agree that those two picks were reaches, but the one thing that amaze me abuot that draft is, that Graves gets blamed for trading down but is NOT credited for drafting Boldin, Hayes, King and Wells in that same exact draft.

Well, IMO, he has to get some of the credit and some of the blame. As for the blame on the trade, he's the one left over, and came out in such support of it, that he still will get blasted for it, and rightly so. As for who pushed the hardest for it...well, we can't know that. For the other players drafted, sure, we don't know who pushed for it, but Graves okayed the decisions, so he needs to get at least partial credit.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The April 6 Scouts, Inc. update figures to still come from McShane and still sounds like old news that's being recycled.

As far as who does or does not blink. Who gives a rat's damn? That's just inter-board bully-juice. Either the deal gets done or it doesn't.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its dejavu all over again.

We seem to be repeating the pro's and con's of this potential trade with our Buffalo Bill friends every day. The bottom line is that there really isn't any current news on this. Its all being rehashed.

The problem is that until the draft it is very boring!!!

:trout:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Also we heard from John Clayton a few days ago that the trade would happen. Except that no picks where involved.

So god knows whats going on...

I really hope we don't give in and trade picks.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Remember: according to nidan, that was all Mac's idea. In fact, everything that turned out badly except hiring Dennis Green was Mac's idea, not Rod's. Extending L.J. and Raynoch: Mac. Drafting Pace and Johnson: Mac. Drafting Anquan: Graves. Drafting Gerald Hayes: TBD (depends on whether he's good this season). Signing Spikes, Garcia, & Hodgins: Mac.

Are you finished taking a dump on me yet ?

You over simplify what I have said in the past, what I have asked those like you who like to trash Rod Graves is ... Just exactly who was responsible for the picks in the Mac era ?

So me where I said that all the mistakes were Mac's and all the good choices were Rod's ?

Was it Mac, Rod Graves [but only for the last year], who ? You have no clue so you trash Rod Geaves, who had nothing to do with the picks in earlier years as he wasn't the GM.

Please don't misquote me again.

What we do know is that Rod Greaves hasa lot to do with bringing in Denny. That alone is a big positive.

OP
OP
bills_phan

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
I've seen too many of these deals work in Buffalo's favor over the past 4 years:
NE asking for 2 1sts for Bledsoe, TD pulling it out for 1
Peerless Price leaving in FA, TD getting a 1st out of it (McGahee)
McGahee's very reasonable contract
Signing Transition Tag player Takeo Spikes away from Cinci
Holding out and signing Sam Adams after failing to meet his initial high salary demands

So far, TD's always gotten his guy at the price the Bills evaluated his worth to be. There's a first time for everything, but right now if I had a gun to my head, I'd say Donahoe gets more than just LJ Shelton for Travis Henry.

DKCards

Reaction score
bills_phan said:
I've seen too many of these deals work in Buffalo's favor over the past 4 years:
NE asking for 2 1sts for Bledsoe, TD pulling it out for 1
Peerless Price leaving in FA, TD getting a 1st out of it (McGahee)
McGahee's very reasonable contract
Signing Transition Tag player Takeo Spikes away from Cinci
Holding out and signing Sam Adams after failing to meet his initial high salary demands

So far, TD's always gotten his guy at the price the Bills evaluated his worth to be. There's a first time for everything, but right now if I had a gun to my head, I'd say Donahoe gets more than just LJ Shelton for Travis Henry.

You better pray it is not loaded

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What a great trade, Bledsoe for a first! Can we get in on that.

OP
OP
bills_phan

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Big Deal said:
What a great trade, Bledsoe for a first! Can we get in on that.
It was viewed as a great value at the time. NE was asking for 2 firsts, if you can believe it! I'm sure there's a trade or 2 in Cardinals franchise history that might not have worked out too well for you guys...

Consider this: Bill Parcells signed Bledsoe to be his starter once he was released by Buffalo. I'm not sure you have a better QB than Bledsoe on your current roster.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
It was viewed as a great value at the time. NE was asking for 2 firsts, if you can believe it! I'm sure there's a trade or 2 in Cardinals franchise history that might not have worked out too well for you guys...

Consider this: Bill Parcells signed Bledsoe to be his starter once he was released by Buffalo. I'm not sure you have a better QB than Bledsoe on your current roster.

Bledsoe v. Warner. Interesting. Losman v. Warner. Warner no contest. Losman v. McCown. Push. Losman v. Navarre. Losman slightly better.

Reaction score
BACH said:

Exactly! Draft 2003 (Graves first as GM); along with last year; was one of the Cardinals BEST drafts in years... that's right! Aside from last year, with DG on board, name a draft since the Cardinals came to Arizona that was as good as 2003.

Get over yourselves bitching about Pace for Suggs/Lefty, and keep on track, i.e. - tearing up the Buffalo homers! :D

OP
OP
bills_phan

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Bledsoe v. Warner. Interesting. Losman v. Warner. Warner no contest. Losman v. McCown. Push. Losman v. Navarre. Losman slightly better.
Maybe, maybe not...

Warner vs. Roethlisburger = Roethlisburger

Warner vs. Losman? = We'll find out in September! (the future is NOW!!!) :thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
Maybe, maybe not...

Warner vs. Roethlisburger = Roethlisburger

Warner vs. Losman? = We'll find out in September! (the future is NOW!!!) :thumbup:

What does Big Ben have to do with this thread?

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
Rumors are that Cards may keep Clement! At least he's here for the non-compulsory off-season training and that's a positive note. We need to keep either Shelton or Clement. Based on last years preformance, Shelton looked better (except for off-sides penalties). But, he seemed to be adjusting fairly well to the right side after a few games.
I do not believe a Henry trade is a particularly good deal straight-up, with Henry only having only one yr left on his K. Along with a swap of picks it's dumb.
Take one of the three top RBs.
The only thing I can see favorable about getting Henry is that he'll have to play his butt off, given the circumstances. Also, the Cards may want to pick the best OG or DT in the second instead of a RB or CB.

OP
OP
bills_phan

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
What does Big Ben have to do with this thread?
What does Losman for that matter?

Roethlisburger and Losman were both drafted in the same class. Ben had a chance to play and was good. Losman did not, so nobody really knows what he will do.

Would you take Rivers in a trade for Warner?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
bills_phan said:

Roethlisburger and Losman were both drafted in the same class. Ben had a chance to play and was good. Losman did not, so nobody really knows what he will do.

Doesn't Buffalo have someone named Losman on their roster?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bills_phan said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Losman does much well this year. He's not going to go Ryan Leaf mind you but that kid has MAJOR personality issues that are going to come up if he starts poorly and Buffalo's defense and veterans feel he's holding them back from a playoff run.

Admittedly as a UCLA fan I've never forgiven Losman for his bailing before practice had even started his freshman year because he was upset they wouldn't annoint him the starter. CLaimed he'd been promised the starting job during recruiting even after his HS coach came out and said he was there with JP for the UCLA in home visit when he was told point blank there would be OPEN competition for the job but they couldn't promise him they wouldn't redshirt him if he didn't win the job.

Losman is very confident, when he's playing well it's a good thing, when he's not it's a very bad thing.

he is a good athlete though I'll give him that.

OP
OP
bills_phan

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I'd be pretty surprised if Losman does much well this year. He's not going to go Ryan Leaf mind you but that kid has MAJOR personality issues that are going to come up if he starts poorly and Buffalo's defense and veterans feel he's holding them back from a playoff run.

Admittedly as a UCLA fan I've never forgiven Losman for his bailing before practice had even started his freshman year because he was upset they wouldn't annoint him the starter. CLaimed he'd been promised the starting job during recruiting even after his HS coach came out and said he was there with JP for the UCLA in home visit when he was told point blank there would be OPEN competition for the job but they couldn't promise him they wouldn't redshirt him if he didn't win the job.

Losman is very confident, when he's playing well it's a good thing, when he's not it's a very bad thing.

he is a good athlete though I'll give him that.
You are a good poster with solid takes. I hope Losman does well, but I have some of the same concerns. As far as attitude, he's been in Buffalo since the end of the season watching film, throwning, and working out - he never left as far as I know. That give me some hope for sure!

spanky1

Reaction score
bills_phan said:

Actually, I wouldn't take Rivers in a trade for Warner. I've seen nothing out of Rivers and I have seen something out of Warner. He'll be just fine for the next two years and one of either McCown and Navarre will follow on.

OP
OP
bills_phan

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Actually, I wouldn't take Rivers in a trade for Warner. I've seen nothing out of Rivers and I have seen something out of Warner. He'll be just fine for the next two years and one of either McCown and Navarre will follow on.
Warner hasn't shown anything in years, much like Emmitt Smith when you picked him up.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
spanky1 said:

You are more optomistic about our QB situation than I am. I hope Warner works out but he hasn't shown much the last few years. I remember this board licking our collective chops when Warner and the Giants were coming out here to play last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
spanky1 said:

You're high, right? Warner hasn't shown anything really good in the past two seasons. Rivers was a #4 overall pick LAST YEAR. Even in hypothetical question land, this is a no-brainer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan