• Yes

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You could make the argument that Rondo is a top 5 point guard.

In no particular order:
Paul
Williams
Rose
Westbrook
Rondo

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In no particular order:
Paul
Williams
Rose
Westbrook
Rondo

If you're talking strictly about talent, yes, he probably is top 5. And, if he isn't top 5, he's awfully close. But that begs the question: Why does Boston (apparently) try to trade their young, talented point guard every off season?

Steve

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you're talking strictly about talent, yes, he probably is top 5. And, if he isn't top 5, he's awfully close. But that begs the question: Why does Boston (apparently) try to trade their young, talented point guard every off season?

Steve

They are trying to upgrade their roster and Rondo is the only valuable trade chip they have. This offseason they tried to take advantage of the Hornets situation and upgrade Rondo for Paul. Here's an article about last season's rumors. He is reported to be high-maintenance so I'm sure that makes trading him easier.

I also recall the Suns engaging in Stoudemire/Marion trade talks every trade deadline and offseason as well. They were similarily the only two major assets we had that we were willing to part with and both were at times high-maintenance like Rondo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are trying to upgrade their roster and Rondo is the only valuable trade chip they have. This offseason they tried to take advantage of the Hornets situation and upgrade Rondo for Paul. Here's an article about last season's rumors. He is reported to be high-maintenance so I'm sure that makes trading him easier.

I also recall the Suns engaging in Stoudemire/Marion trade talks every trade deadline and offseason as well. They were similarily the only two major assets we had that we were willing to part with and both were at times high-maintenance like Rondo.

From what I know of Rondo there is just no comparison to Stat and Marion. Also, the guy is in his prime playing alongside players that are near the end of their careers so I don't see why they'd be willing to part with the star PG if it was just business as usual. I believe they are well aware that Rondo is not a player to build around and they want to get value for him before the rest of the NBA universe becomes convinced of that.

As I've said before, I'd be willing to trade Nash for him because our options are just so limited but I see no value in making the trade if it also costs us Gortat. I'd much rather see us trade Nash for a 2015 1st round pick or something like that then to give up Gortat for so little. Honestly, I wouldn't trade Gortat straight up for Rajon. I really wish we hadn't re-signed Hill. If we hadn't, I could still hold out hope that we were going to trade everyone of value come the mid-season deadline.

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think Rondo has prima donna type personality that we need to worry about.

If he was a headcase, something would have leaked out by now.

I agree I wouldn't trade Gortat for him either.

As to your question for why their always looking to trade him, I think its to improve their offense. Rondo is a great ball distributor but he is limited scoring wise and since Boston is filled with defense, they need a bit of offense on that team.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

In no particular order:
Paul
Williams
Rose
Westbrook
Rondo

Steve Nash and soon John Wall and Kyrie Irving. Rondo is not top 5.

It would take obviously more than Nash to get him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just trade Steve Freaking Nash already. His run here is over. We cannot move on while he is here! I do not understand what mgmt is thinking. We,re like the old guy from the 70's who cannot bring himself tget rid of his favoeite liesure suit.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just trade Steve Freaking Nash already. His run here is over. We cannot move on while he is here! I do not understand what mgmt is thinking. We,re like the old guy from the 70's who cannot bring himself tget rid of his favoeite liesure suit.

The problem is, you can easily make the case that trading Nash is not the right move. How much value does he really have? We should have traded him a couple years ago and failing that we should have traded him the day that Amare left us. Neither of those things happened and now we're left with a guy who probably has a lot more value to this organization as a player than as a trade chip. It's not what I want but unfortunately, it may well be where we're at.

I look at our roster and then I compare it to other team's and frankly, from a future standpoint ours is one of the 2 or 3 worst in the league. And I see no way to turn that around quickly. Most of our tradable pieces aren't going to be worth more than a 2nd round pick (if that). Gortat is probably the only player we have that could bring us back a 1st rounder. Dudley is a 2nd round talent and Nash probably is too unless a true contender finds itself a point guard away from winning it all. Let's face it, we're screwed. Happy Holidays.

Steve

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it because I think Rondo is a little punk-ass and I'd rather he doesn't ever play for us. He's a good player, but I'd rather not have to cheer for him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is, you can easily make the case that trading Nash is not the right move. How much value does he really have? We should have traded him a couple years ago and failing that we should have traded him the day that Amare left us. Neither of those things happened and now we're left with a guy who probably has a lot more value to this organization as a player than as a trade chip. It's not what I want but unfortunately, it may well be where we're at.

I look at our roster and then I compare it to other team's oand frankly, from a future standpoint ours is one of the 2 or 3 worst in the league. And I see no way to turn that around quickly. Most of our tradable pieces aren't going to be worth more than a 2nd round pick (if that). Gortat is probably the only player we have that could bring us back a 1st rounder. Dudley is a 2nd round talent and Nash probably is too unless a true contender finds itself a point guard away from winning it all. Let's face it, we're screwed. Happy Holidays.

Steve

Joy to one and all.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It doesnt matter anymore. Our team is ridiculous. We have nobody of note, besides Nash. Getting rid of him would only hurt us because I dont think this management can properly replace him.

Just look at the draft, we draft the lesser Morris brother. Did the same with Griffin and Lopez. The Suns suck, we had a good 5 year window to win a championship and that thing is slammed shut.

I am looking forward to some Shannon Brown highlights, should at least be entertaining when we're getting blown out 140-98

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesnt matter anymore. Our team is ridiculous. We have nobody of note, besides Nash. Getting rid of him would only hurt us because I dont think this management can properly replace him.

Just look at the draft, we draft the lesser Morris brother. Did the same with Griffin and Lopez. The Suns suck, we had a good 5 year window to win a championship and that thing is slammed shut.

I am looking forward to some Shannon Brown highlights, should at least be entertaining when we're getting blown out 140-98

That's an inane comment. You make it sound like we intentionally chose the lesser brother of Griffin and Lopez. We used the number 15 pick on Robin and Brook was drafted 10th. Blake was the number 1 pick and we wasted a late 2nd round pick on his brother. As for Markieff, there are a lot of experts that believe he projects better at the pro level. We shall see. And, unfortunately, we probably won't actually suck. Our future however appears quite bleak.

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marcus Morris reminds me so much of Warrick but without the crazy athleticism.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
rondo cannot shoot nearly as well as nash, but this trade makes 0 sense for boston. they are old and slow. rondo is probably the only guy on their roster that keeps their clock ticking because he is young and very athletic. trading for nash at his age would be a waste for them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake