UFA PGs who might be falling thru the cracks

Errntknght

Reaction score
A fair number of us are hoping the Suns will add a PG so here are the ones I've found on the UFA list that I think are in tenuous situations - thus might be available for the min or the LLE...
I've mentioned Brunson as a possibility before and someone suggested Armstrong recently. Best's name was tossed around a few times, too.

Anthony Carter
Darrell Armstrong
Rick Brunson
Milt Palacio
Kenny Anderson
Travis Best
Frank Williams
Mike Wilks

(I left Tyronn Lue and Tiere Brown off, because I've never heard anyone say anything positive about either on here.)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Darrell Armstrong would be nice, but the Suns need to seriously fill our big man needs first.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Armstrong played pretty well for the Mavs, but I'm not sure he's much more a Nash style PG than Bell who has some experience at PG.

BTW, the only free agent PG I think could actually get into the Suns rotation is Brevin Knight who did quite well on the Bobcats last season. However, I'd rather use the LLE for a big and Knight is going to find work for more than the veteran minimum.

sunsfn

Reaction score
The suns do not need another point guard right now.

They have JJ, JJackson, and Raja Bell can play the point.
There will not be any minutes for another point after Barbosa.

If the suns sign a backup point guard, it may be someone from the summer league, or after the season starts.

I think they will give Barbosa a chance to see if he can do that this year.
(And he will)

And, do not forget our point center Amare. :)

HooverDam

Reaction score
What about Yuta Tabuse? I think he is the solution to all of our backup PG problems.

/end sarcasm

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Armstrong would be good for the minimum, in the same way it would be nice to bring back Bo Outlaw.

DA can't really play Suns basketball, but he's a good chemistry guy and a veteran. If there were injuries during the season, he might be good for spot minutes, just to keep the rotations running smoothly.

cly2tw

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Armstrong played pretty well for the Mavs, but I'm not sure he's much more a Nash style PG than Bell who has some experience at PG.

BTW, the only free agent PG I think could actually get into the Suns rotation is Brevin Knight who did quite well on the Bobcats last season. However, I'd rather use the LLE for a big and Knight is going to find work for more than the veteran minimum.

George,

make up your mind. ;)
You agreed in another thread that Suns offense lacks variety due to its overfocus on Nash's style. Then why do you bring up the lack of similarity to Nash's game against a potential backup PG who may not play more than 7 min. a game? If we are not gonna play Nash offense half of the time Nash himself is on the court, we can certainly survive if his backup doesn't play it either, right? :)

OP
OP
E

Errntknght

Reaction score
My first choice would be Brunson because he's got some size at 6'4 and he's a fair defender (based on limited observation). He's also used to being a backup so he shouldn't be any sort of a disruptive force if he doesn't get a lot of PT. He's been around the league for 8 years, which means that not many teams will be looking at him as the long term solution to their problems at PG... which is why I put him on this list.

Armstrong I would be glad to have and also Milt Palacio - he can run an offense and even has some ability to penetrate and dish. My recollection is that he is an average defender, at best.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's too bad the Suns don't have a little more of the MLE left to take a gander at Steve Blake.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For the sake of completeness, we should include Jay Williams on the list.

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
sunsfn said:
The suns do not need another point guard right now.

They have JJ, JJackson, and Raja Bell can play the point.
There will not be any minutes for another point after Barbosa.

If the suns sign a backup point guard, it may be someone from the summer league, or after the season starts.

I think they will give Barbosa a chance to see if he can do that this year.
(And he will)

And, do not forget our point center Amare. :)

To be honest, I have given up a lot of hope on Barbosa. I know people were thinking the same thing about Joe Johnson a few years ago and look how he turned out, but we didnt have a championship on the line before. I would also say that we have also waited too long in the past for prospects to produce as well (Big Jake) to address a problem.

Im not saying that we have to get rid of barbosa, but that we shouldnt rely on him either.

Dont get me wrong, i think Barbosa still has the potential to turn into something, but to develop the ability to run an offense by next season? i just think its better if we look into veteran options even if its going to cut into barbosa's minutes. I get sick of using actual game minutes to develop players when they should have to earn those minutes. Have him fight it out for backup pg!

With so much on the line this upcoming season, i dont want to take any chances, and with several options out there at a low cost, there shouldnt be a reason not to have another player primarily at pg. Because thats what we need from him!....not another chucker.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mentioned him before but Juan Dixon.

His original contract with Washington was 3 years for 3.M. The Wizards decided not to pick up his 2.1M option for next season mainly because Arenas being on the court was key to their success. Steve Blake was mentioned before but he is probably all they need for a backup PG. Dixon could be better suited for an open court style game and he probably won't get too many offers.

OP
OP
E

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd be dumbfounded if Juan Dixon accepted an offer of the amount we could afford to give him and he surely has aspirations of being a starter.

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Steve Blake was mentioned before but he is probably all they need for a backup PG.

I've heard Blake is in close touch with Maccabi Tel Aviv - Euroleague Champions. Probably Jasikievicius is going leave them so they are looking for big name to fill the roster, but maybe it is just a rumor?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
meth said:
I've heard Blake is in close touch with Maccabi Tel Aviv - Euroleague Champions. Probably Jasikievicius is going leave them so they are looking for big name to fill the roster, but maybe it is just a rumor?

Fun is fun, but please stop making up names of basketball players. :)

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I'd be dumbfounded if Juan Dixon accepted an offer of the amount we could afford to give him and he surely has aspirations of being a starter.

The only team that truly needs a starting point guard is Atlanta. Maybe the Lakers but it sounds like they are in the market for Antonio Daniels. I could see Damon Stoudamire (he and Phil could light a few up) end up there as well and there is rumor that GS might use its amnesty on Derek Fisher and I sure Phil Jackson would love to see that.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Juan Dixon averages one assist per 11 minutes of playing time, a lower rate than Barbosa. He is not a point guard.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05