"University of Phoenix Stadium"

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I can’t believe there are so many posts on this thread. Who really cares what they name the Stadium? Is the name of the stadium going to help the team on the field? By having a cool name are the Cards going to play better? The team is thinking about a QB change and there are over 100 posts on the name of the stadium!!!

The important part is they found a sponsor, how much they are paying for that sponsorship, and what the Cardinals are going to do with the money. I wouldn’t care if they played in the Port-O-Jon Stadium if the went 16-0 and won the SB next year.

You're so right, we should be wasting our time posting about z x y / bq formations and nashing our teeth on who starts at QB or the construction of the stadium or who our coach is...

You know all the other things our posts have squat influence over.

DKCards

Reaction score
I am surely glad you dont market or brand anything as a career.

What are they marketing here. Who isn't going to come and use this State of the Art Stadium because of its name. It is not like they nameded it a Pink Taco or something. :D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess that's why they went with the crappiest name ever.

I will begrudgingly respect their decision in light of almost 8 million a year.

Yeah, anything less than 5 was going to not be worth it IMO. But, 7.7 mil per year puts them towards the top of the league in this type of deal. I don't blame them for taking it.

Also, maybe they won't just gouge the hell out of us on ticket price increases for next year. (Yeah, I know, I know.........)

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This would place them 3rd in overall value of the deal and second to Houston in dollars per year!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess that's why they went with the crappiest name ever.

I will begrudgingly respect their decision in light of almost 8 million a year.

No kidding - UofP must've really wanted the name on the Stadium!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Shaquille O'neal graduated from LSU in 2000, but earned an online MBA through the University of Phoenix in 2005...

:|

A good friend of mine was his financial adviser. The Lakers paid cash up front for his entire degree before he even took a class. I believe that he really did do the work, but it was just really strange to have the entire courseload paid in full from the start.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I’m really surprised at how much you guys care about the naming rights. It’s just a way to raise revenue.

You can still call it whatever you want to.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Oh man, the irony of the word "university" being attached to the stadium for the next 20 years is just incredible. You gotta love this team. This has been a classic Cardinals week for sure.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I personally like it. At least it gives the appearance of being a name that would by inference make someone believe it's related to Arizona football. It's not a bank or an oil company or some other company name that is not even remotely related to Arizona.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
this news is wretched...

first the rams loss, now this.

bad week for cards fans

You forgot to mention already having a QB controversy in week 3 when your starter is a former league MVP. And it's only Tuesday for heavens sake.

Last edited:

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
And at the University of Phoenix Stadium today, the Cardinals fielded a team composed entirely of red-shirted players.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
things must have changed.
Back in '01 i took a 3 credit hr Purchasing Management course at U of P 40th st and I-10.
I had to go to class 2 nights a week.
Our instructor was a retired Honeywell Purchasing manager.
There was an online LIBRARY.
I had to do papers and physically turn them them in.
I had to speak in front of a classroom of actual people in a physical location.
I learned a lot about purchasing in a government and big corporate environment.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I personally like it. At least it gives the appearance of being a name that would by inference make someone believe it's related to Arizona football. It's not a bank or an oil company or some other company name that is not even remotely related to Arizona.
Good point. Man, that is a lot of money. I say, "Good job, Cardinals!" :thumbup:

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
"Bidwill said the Cardinals would use the money from the University of Phoenix deal, to be paid annually over the 20 years, to field a competitive team."

Finally, we have an owner with some vision. I hope the next 20 years go fast so that we can be competitive, because that's how long it will take, the way we're going.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
things must have changed.
Back in '01 i took a 3 credit hr Purchasing Management course at U of P 40th st and I-10.
I had to go to class 2 nights a week.
Our instructor was a retired Honeywell Purchasing manager.
There was an online LIBRARY.
I had to do papers and physically turn them them in.
I had to speak in front of a classroom of actual people in a physical location.
I learned a lot about purchasing in a government and big corporate environment.

I took a class for my MCP at University of Phoenix back in 2001 as well. I had no problems there and thought it was a great experience.

Seriously, I don't mind the stadium name.