Updated Mock Draft (1/5/06)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
HOU: Vince Young, QB, Texas. Local Houston icon creates mass hysteria by signing with the Texans.

NO: RB Reggie Bush, USC. A real breath of fresh air for this beleaguered franchise.

TEN: Matt Leinart, QB, USC. Re-united with Norm Chow...what could be finer?

NYJ: LenDale White, RB, USC. Jets fans will be stunned with this pick because they will be chanting AJ...AJ...AJ!

GB: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio St. They think Hawk will energize their defense the way Brian Urlacher does in Chicago.

SF: Mario Williams, DE, NC St. They can't pass on this kid's raw talent.

OAK: Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech. Best DB in draft...they think he plays with that Ray-dah attitude.

BUF: D'Brickshaw Ferguson, T, Virginia. They are ecstatic to find him here.

DET: Tamba Hali, DE, Penn. St. He's the guy they want to start opposite Kalimba Edwards.

ARZ: DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama. He's the best player on the board and Green won't reach here for an o-lineman. Ryans is the real deal...has superior skills.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Mitch said:
HOU: Vince Young, QB, Texas. Local Houston icon creates mass hysteria by signing with the Texans.

NO: RB Reggie Bush, USC. A real breath of fresh air for this beleaguered franchise.

NYJ: LenDale White, RB, USC. Jets fans will be stunned with this pick because they will be chanting AJ...AJ...AJ!

GB: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio St. They think Hawk will energize their defense the way Brian Urlacher does in Chicago.

OAK: Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech. Best DB in draft...they think he plays with that Ray-dah attitude.

DET: Tamba Hali, DE, Penn. St. He's the guy they want to start opposite Kalimba Edwards.

ARZ: DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama. He's the best player on the board and Green won't reach here for an o-lineman. Ryans is the real deal...has superior skills.
I would not be unhappy if it went down like this however Ryans could probably be had lower down in the 15-20 range. If this was the case I would rather trade down with Denver for there 2 picks and take him with there 1st pick and try and steal another guy late 1st round. The other thing I would add is if Bush went to NO could we maybe get Duece from them for a future pick. Something to think about

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
No way Young goes #1, and no way White goes #4.

By the time the draft starts Youngs delivery will have been torn down. He will be top 10, but not #1. Not over Bush or Leinhart.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Cardinal Predictions

1. The Cardinals win the David Carr sweepstakes and land their QBOF.

2. The Cardinals sign the following free agents: G Benji Olson (Tennessee); RB Michael Bennett (Vikings); FB Fred Beasley (49ers); DT Ryan Pickett (Rams);

3. They draft:

1. DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama
2. Jonathan Scott, T, Texas
3. Nate Salley, FS, Ohio St.
4. Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado
5. Tyler Reed, G, Penn. St.
6. Jovon Johnson, CB, Iowa
7. Roman Harper, S, Alabama

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I for one would kill myself if the Cardinals burned another first-day pick on a freaking linebacker. It would just be ridiculously stupid. Monumentally so. The Cardinals probably have the best linebacking corps in the NFC West and maybe one of the top 5 in the entire NFC (with Chicago, maybe Tampa,

This would make more sense if Kalimba Edwards were actually starting for the Lions, which he's not. James Hall is. It's impossible to tell who they're going to draft until they get a head coach, but the Lions' strongest area on the entire team is along the defensive line, where they're four-deep at end with solid players and have three above-average players at tackle. They're more likely to draft Williams if they're drafting defense. They could start him at corner or safety, since the Lions don't have anything behind Dre' Bly in the secondary.

And they'd play him at DE in their 3-4 scheme? That doesn't make any sense. Would they play him at OLB? Does that make any more sense? I dont' think so. They'll likely take D'Brickashaw or Williams.

Mitch, the way that you let your enthusiasm for individual players cloud your predictions never ceases to amaze me. Vince Young is a great runner, but he has a lot to prove as a passer over 15 yards.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Even with Young coming out Bush and Leinart go 1-2. Young maybe three to Tennessee. Ferguson, Hawk and the NC State DE Williams will MTL vie to fill out the top 5. After that it's a crapshhoot at this point. Many things will change. Jimmy Williams and Hali are top 10, after them who knows? I'd say LenDale is if he comes out. And I'd be on him - no brainer for us.:)

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
And they'd play him at DE in their 3-4 scheme? That doesn't make any sense. Would they play him at OLB? Does that make any more sense? I dont' think so. They'll likely take D'Brickashaw or Williams.

Mitch, the way that you let your enthusiasm for individual players cloud your predictions never ceases to amaze me. Vince Young is a great runner, but he has a lot to prove as a passer over 15 yards.

Mario is the rare DE who's big enough to start at DE in a 3-4 but I agree he's very unlikely to be their pick. They need LB's and secondary. I really don't see them taking Ferguson they're really happy with their OL that finished the year. I saw a show where Bubba Paris said insiders tell him they absolutely LOVE Snyder at LT. The only real question next year is Jennings vs. Kwame Harris at RT.

They also desperately need a playmaking WR.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch said:
2. The Cardinals sign the following free agents: G Benji Olson (Tennessee); RB Michael Bennett (Vikings); FB Fred Beasley (49ers); DT Ryan Pickett (Rams);

Aren't you mister "Sign the Has-Beens." Benji Olson will be 31 years old next season, and just set a new career high in sacks allowed in his 8th season 5.5. Oliver Ross was "old" for a Green player at 31, but he'd only appeared in 78 games and started 47. Olson's started 112 games and is clearly on the downside of his career.

I wouldn't mind Ryan Pickett, but he's asking for $4 million a year, and I think that's a little overpriced. I don't think Fred Beasley brings anything to this squad that 'Femi doesn't already bring, except an inability to get along with his teammates. But I guess there are a lot of good 32 year old fullbacks coming off the worst seasons of their career out there. We should throw some money at all of them. :shrug:

spanky1

Reaction score
Mitch,

LenDale White at #4.........I don't think so. As others have said, we don't need a LB and to use the #10 on Ryans is a huge reach.

The guy I'd be looking at in round 3 is Ryan O'Callaghan from Cal.....if he doesn't get picked in round 2.

Benji Olsen and Michael Bennett as FA's.....again, and it's only my opin, but neither impress me at this stage in their careers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Mario is the rare DE who's big enough to start at DE in a 3-4 but I agree he's very unlikely to be their pick. They need LB's and secondary. I really don't see them taking Ferguson they're really happy with their OL that finished the year. I saw a show where Bubba Paris said insiders tell him they absolutely LOVE Snyder at LT. The only real question next year is Jennings vs. Kwame Harris at RT.

They also desperately need a playmaking WR.

He has the size to start there, but he's not the kind of guy you'd want to sit and occupy blockers when you can get 1-gap DTs in the middle rounds of the draft.

Maybe the 49ers can swing a deal for Charles Rogers, because there aren't any Top 5 WRs in this draft. Sucks for them. I'd trade a 2nd rounder for him, though. Jimmy Williams and Charles Rogers wouldn't be a bad day's work for the 49ers, if they could keep CR out of Humboldt County. :D

spanky1

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
He has the size to start there, but he's not the kind of guy you'd want to sit and occupy blockers when you can get 1-gap DTs in the middle rounds of the draft.

Maybe the 49ers can swing a deal for Charles Rogers, because there aren't any Top 5 WRs in this draft. Sucks for them. I'd trade a 2nd rounder for him, though. Jimmy Williams and Charles Rogers wouldn't be a bad day's work for the 49ers, if they could keep CR out of Humboldt County. :D

If SF were interested in trading their 2nd rounder for a WR, might I suggest Bryant Johnson. Not that I'm an advocate for getting rid of him but if you were SF and both were offered, BASED ON CAREER TO DATE, I'd take BJ.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I for one would kill myself if the Cardinals burned another first-day pick on a freaking linebacker.
All abord the Ryans Bandwagon! Woo Woo!

;)

(just kidding, K9)

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:
No way Young goes #1, and no way White goes #4.

By the time the draft starts Youngs delivery will have been torn down. He will be top 10, but not #1. Not over Bush or Leinhart.

No way White goes #4 and I agree. I want him but after reading to the various Gurus today and watching them on TV we can have White most likely at #10 if we want him. No lower than middle of 1st round. He is what NFL scouts look for in a runner. A 1000 yd in your face rusher.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Mitch said:

For the life of me I can't see Houston staying at #1 when thier biggest need is O-Line and they could trade down and still get the best O-lineman in the draft. Here's my top 10:

#1 (from Houston) New York Jets - RB Reggie Bush, USC. NY pulls the trigger to get the best player in the draft especially if White decides to return for another year which looks about 50/50 now.

#2 New Orleans - QB Matt Leinart, USC. Sorry Young fans, but NO goes with the leader instead of the playmaker here.

#3 Tennessee - QB Vince Young, TX. Tennessee gets the playmaker for McNair to tutor for a year. And who would be better to tutor Young then McNair who was a rushing QB early in his career and made a nice transition to a passing QB, he can teach young the few pieces he'll need to make the jump to the pros.

#4 (from NY Jets) Houston - LT D'brickshaw Ferguson, Virginia. Houston gets its biggest need and a quality pick with Ferguson, plus they will have picked up some additional picks/players from New York to help this young team.

#5 Green Bay - LB AJ Hawk, Ohio St. I agree GB needs something on defense, and while he has mad speed to drop back he is even better at attacking the run, and since GB gave up over 2000 yards on the ground this year ranking 23rd and giving up 125+ yards/game, he fills the bill as a total LB.

#6 San Francisco - DB Jimmy Williams, Virginia Tech. Dead last against the pass, nuff said.

#7 Oakland - TE Mercedes Lewis, UCLA. This team had no production from the TE position and if they want to free up some more 1-1 for Moss/Porter they need some threat in the middle of the field, Lewis is the perfect fit.

#8 Buffalo - DE Mario Williams, NC State. They need O-line help, but Levy is old school, take best player on the board, and Williams is best player available at this point, to much of a reach for OT McNeil.

#9 Detroit - QB Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green. Matt Millen has the first reach of the draft, the Harrington experiment is over, Matt likes the arm on Jacobs and figures with a new coach coming in they can use a QBOF to throw to Williams, Williams & Rodgers.

#10 Arizona - And this is where I run into a problem, all the players I want are gone, or are a reach at #10. No idea what we do here.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
This would make more sense if Kalimba Edwards were actually starting for the Lions, which he's not. James Hall is. It's impossible to tell who they're going to draft until they get a head coach, but the Lions' strongest area on the entire team is along the defensive line, where they're four-deep at end with solid players and have three above-average players at tackle. They're more likely to draft Williams if they're drafting defense. They could start him at corner or safety, since the Lions don't have anything behind Dre' Bly in the secondary.

QUOTE]

Since when have the lions not drafted a player because they already have talent at that position? :D Maybe they'll take another WR.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
For the life of me I can't see Houston staying at #1 when thier biggest need is O-Line and they could trade down and still get the best O-lineman in the draft. Here's my top 10:

#1 (from Houston) New York Jets - RB Reggie Bush, USC. NY pulls the trigger to get the best player in the draft especially if White decides to return for another year which looks about 50/50 now.

#2 New Orleans - QB Matt Leinart, USC. Sorry Young fans, but NO goes with the leader instead of the playmaker here.

#3 Tennessee - QB Vince Young, TX. Tennessee gets the playmaker for McNair to tutor for a year. And who would be better to tutor Young then McNair who was a rushing QB early in his career and made a nice transition to a passing QB, he can teach young the few pieces he'll need to make the jump to the pros.

#4 (from NY Jets) Houston - LT D'brickshaw Ferguson, Virginia. Houston gets its biggest need and a quality pick with Ferguson, plus they will have picked up some additional picks/players from New York to help this young team.

#5 Green Bay - LB AJ Hawk, Ohio St. I agree GB needs something on defense, and while he has mad speed to drop back he is even better at attacking the run, and since GB gave up over 2000 yards on the ground this year ranking 23rd and giving up 125+ yards/game, he fills the bill as a total LB.

#6 San Francisco - DB Jimmy Williams, Virginia Tech. Dead last against the pass, nuff said.

#7 Oakland - TE Mercedes Lewis, UCLA. This team had no production from the TE position and if they want to free up some more 1-1 for Moss/Porter they need some threat in the middle of the field, Lewis is the perfect fit.

#8 Buffalo - DE Mario Williams, NC State. They need O-line help, but Levy is old school, take best player on the board, and Williams is best player available at this point, to much of a reach for OT McNeil.

#9 Detroit - QB Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green. Matt Millen has the first reach of the draft, the Harrington experiment is over, Matt likes the arm on Jacobs and figures with a new coach coming in they can use a QBOF to throw to Williams, Williams & Rodgers.

#10 Arizona - And this is where I run into a problem, all the players I want are gone, or are a reach at #10. No idea what we do here.

I can see the draft going this way as well, except for maybe Oakland taking Lewis. Maybe they take Mario and Buffalo takes Kiwi. I would like to see us take White here if the draft goes this way. Is this too high to take Cutler? Is Jacobs a better prospect than Cutler? GBN has him rated at #37, but I've seen him at least once rated ahead of Leinart, so????????

Last edited:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know this is a dead point but that Christmas eve Philly win feels pretty good now doesn't it? What a difference a win makes. At 4-12 we get Young, Bush or Lienart.

1 Houston 2-14 .535
2 New Orleans 3-13 .523
3 Tennessee 4-12 .512
4 New York Jets 4-12 .527
5 Green Bay 4-12 531
6T San Francisco 4-12 539
6T Oakland 4-12 .539
8 Buffalo 5-11 .500
9 Detroit 5-11 .504
10 Arizona 5-11 .508

1 Houston 2-14 .535
2 New Orleans 3-13 .523
3 Arizona 4-12 .508
4Tennessee 4-12 .512
5 New York Jets 4-12 .527
6 Green Bay 4-12 531
7T San Francisco 4-12 539
8T Oakland 4-12 .539
9 Buffalo 5-11 .500
10 Detroit 5-11 .504

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
I wouldn't panic yet. The draft board will settle...

Some will drop. Others will rise. Some teams ahead of us will reach.

At #10 we're probably out of the bluechip player race, but should have plenty of options from the 2nd group of players. (#8 - #15 range)

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
Reddog said:
I know this is a dead point but that Christmas eve Philly win feels pretty good now doesn't it? What a difference a win makes. At 4-12 we get Young, Bush or Lienart.

1 Houston 2-14 .535
2 New Orleans 3-13 .523
3 Tennessee 4-12 .512
5 Green Bay 4-12 531
6T Oakland 4-12 .539
8 Buffalo 5-11 .500
9 Detroit 5-11 .504
10 Arizona 5-11 .508

1 Houston 2-14 .535
2 New Orleans 3-13 .523
3 Arizona 4-12 .508
4Tennessee 4-12 .512
6 Green Bay 4-12 531
8T Oakland 4-12 .539
9 Buffalo 5-11 .500
10 Detroit 5-11 .504

so would have the wins against Washington and Indy too.. that would have put us 15-20 pick.

go cards..

I honestly dont see anybody else that we can get at the 10th, except for LenDale White.. anybody else in our needed areas are reachs.. if White is not there, trade down and get some picks...

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Reddog said:

1 Houston 2-14 .535
2 New Orleans 3-13 .523
3 Tennessee 4-12 .512
5 Green Bay 4-12 531
6T Oakland 4-12 .539
8 Buffalo 5-11 .500
9 Detroit 5-11 .504
10 Arizona 5-11 .508

1 Houston 2-14 .535
2 New Orleans 3-13 .523
3 Arizona 4-12 .508
4Tennessee 4-12 .512
6 Green Bay 4-12 531
8T Oakland 4-12 .539
9 Buffalo 5-11 .500
10 Detroit 5-11 .504

My only beef was playing McCown -- a guy they had already decided they were going to let leave -- instead of getting Navarre two or three games worth of live action.

Playing him probably would have taken care of the loss, but at least he would have been that much more ready if he has to step in next year if Warner goes down -- particulalry if the Cards are in the middle of a playoff hunt.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
en fuego said:
Playing him probably would have taken care of the loss, but at least he would have been that much more ready if he has to step in next year if Warner goes down -- particulalry if the Cards are in the middle of a playoff hunt.

Ive said this a million times. You and I are the only one who believe this statement.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:

Very likely trade...but don't rule out New Orleans taking Vince Young...with an eye on moving to San Antonio in 2007.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Both lines get pushed around every weekend so the Cards take a LB? Makes no sense other than Clancy said he wants a sideline to sideline LB. What DC doesn't?

I want to see a RB or a DL drafted with the first round pick.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts, Jason:

Huff - Although he plays safety, he has played CB for the Longhorns and I read somewhere where Kiper rated him top CB in the draft. Despite having Rolle, Macklin and Green, only Rolle is big enough and physical enough to handle the new breed of 6-5 receivers. We should also be considering "life after Robert Griffin." The flexibility we'd have by having 2 big CB's in Rolle and Huff - with the option of moving one of them to FS is kind of neat. And the thing about Huff is that he always makes the plays that need to be made.

McNeal - He comes out of an Auburn run-blocking program that didn't lose a beat this year despite the departures of Ron Brown and Cadillac Williams. There are those who say Leonard Davis would be better suited to play inside at guard. The addition of McNeal at either of the two tackle positions would upgrade our offensive line.

#31 on Penn State (P*****k?) - He can cover, he hits like a ton and he comes out of Linebacker University.

Carpenter - He didn't play in the Ohio State game, but he's bigger than Hawk and, I believe, just as productive when healthy.

And it's early. I agree with the guy who said that there will be a couple of very good players who'll inevitably be available at #10. (A couple of guys always declare early & a couple of late-bloomers inevitably zoom up the charts to deepen the Top 10 draft pool).

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reddog said:

Does this make the Houston loss less painful?

The Shark