Vikes may target Larry Fitzgerald

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vikes may target Fitzgerald

February 8
St. Paul Pioneer Press (scroll down) (registration required): "It will be interesting to see whether the Vikings, seeking reasons for season-ticket holders to renew, try to trade their No. 7 overall pick in April's draft, plus a player or two, for Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald Jr. of Minneapolis."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/16648363.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Could this really happen .. ??? was Fitz laying the ground work for this with his recent comments .. ??

I certainly hope Whiz can meet with Larry and work things out ...

Rohinic

Reaction score
Well, I hope this is just speculation and nothing else.

But supposing the two players were Kleinsasser and Smoot - what then? Both would improve areas of need on the team, plus the two picks (almost side by side) could net players like Anderson, Branch or Nelson ... even Johnson or Thomas if they slide on draft day.

Pinch of salt all round, thanks.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
One question...

Why would we do that?

The Vikings would have to pay something ridiculous to even consider it. McKinnie, Smoot and the 7th pick.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this on another message board ...

Miami, Florida

Record setting wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals Saturday Feb.3rd met with new Arizona Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt. "We had a good meeting Saturday night at the coach's Hotel the Ritz Carlton , Larry said, I'm really looking forward to Mini Camp and getting started.

Last year was tough on all of us, Coach met my Dad Friday at a NIKE reception in South Beach, where my Dad gave him my cell number and coach called me. Ironically we are both under contract with NIKE and the Cardinals that's all good.

Former Pittsburgh Steeler great Jerome Bettis also called me Friday and told me a lot of good things about coach and how he deals with players." Hopefully this clears up any misconceptions created by both Arizona newspapers that painted a false unfair picture during the week that was not true.
http://www.larry-fitzgerald.com/jr/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first I have heard of this meeting ... I am really glad to hear that they have met and that Fitz has inquired about the Whiz from a Steelers players ...

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
It's a slow news day in Minn. Fitzgerald is not going anywhere, unless they give the Cardinals a ridiculous offer (two 1's or a 1 and a two, plus A. Winfield, plus B. McKinnie)!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
."Hopefully this clears up any misconceptions created by both Arizona newspapers that painted a false unfair picture during the week that was not true." - Fitz
Well said, Fitz. (Sounds like a slow news day in Minny).

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
It's a slow news day in Minn. Fitzgerald is not going anywhere, unless they give the Cardinals a ridiculous offer (two 1's or a 1 and a two, plus A. Winfield, plus B. McKinnie)!

Agreed! You don't trade a very young pro-bowl WR with an outstanding work ethic and several years left on his contract. That's especially true if you think you are close to playoff caliber.

It's a different story if you have an elite player who you can't sign, e.g. Champ Bailey. That's not the case with Fitz. Fitz, Anquan, and Adrian Wilson are the heart and soul of the team IMO.

I'm happy to hear the Whis made contact. It's a solid pro-active move to clear the air with one of his top young players.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't the Pioneer press also the same paper that had Moss coming to Arizona for our entire defense?

This paper is a speculative one at best. No way they are trading Fitzgerald, unless the "a player or two" is Hutchinson and another starting offensive linemen.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

This is the first I have heard of this meeting ... I am really glad to hear that they have met and that Fitz has inquired about the Whiz from a Steelers players ...
This is a great reason why people shouldn't start talking crap about players the second something is printed in the paper.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Bullhead... you should know better than to post the school-age crap from the Pioneer Press... Literally everything they print has no factual basis whatsoever...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great reason why people shouldn't start talking crap about players the second something is printed in the paper.

Yeah, those who tried to paint Fitz as some sort of a cancer all of the sudden look kind of stupid.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't the Pioneer press also the same paper that had Moss coming to Arizona for our entire defense?

This paper is a speculative one at best. No way they are trading Fitzgerald, unless the "a player or two" is Hutchinson and another starting offensive linemen.

Yep, just a reporter talking out of his blowhole.

seesred

Reaction score
Fitz iz a hall of fame type of reciever, you don't trade those. I doubt this rumor has any bite to it. Now the Vikes maybe have talked outloud, like, Would,t it be nice to have Larry but, I doubrt they have talked with anyone in managment at Cards headquarters.

GBR

Reaction score
Any, repeat any, talk of trading either Fitz or Q is ridiculous blather.

One does not improve a team by tearing apart the strongest aspect of that team in hopes of improving other aspects.

And, Hey Minny! Denny Green doesn't work here anymore!!!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Their #1.... Winfield, & Birk.

I would do it. Sorry guys.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Hmmm, seems that those on this board that were ready to tell Larry to take a hike a week ago owe him an E-apology.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could be a blockbuster trade. There are 6 speed receivers available in this draft. Johnson could be there with the #5. I love Sidney Rice / So. Car. later in the 1st. Cards do not have speed. They need speed. If the Vikes overwhelmed the Cards, why not consider it? Never fall in love with something you have, in football. If the Vikings are willing to make a lopsided deal, ...WTH.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
One question...

Why would we do that?

The Vikings would have to pay something ridiculous to even consider it. McKinnie, Smoot and the 7th pick.

If we got two good players in a needed position such as OL or DB and a #7 pick I would strongly look at such a trade. It all would hinge on who the Vikes would give up and just what Fitz thinks now that is mentor is gone in DG.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fitz iz a hall of fame type of reciever, you don't trade those. I doubt this rumor has any bite to it. Now the Vikes maybe have talked outloud, like, Would,t it be nice to have Larry but, I doubrt they have talked with anyone in managment at Cards headquarters.

GBR

It is not unheard of for players or there agents to leak these rumors for a reason. As to this post should not have ben made. I would strongly disagree. It is posted under Pro Sports which is widely read. I am always interested in rumors. That is sort of what we live on in off season and the board is full of them. Who has the inside knowledge that there is not some truth in this rumor. I do not have a clue. I would never toast a guy for posting a rumor. Probably a large percentage of the post are rumor based or wild eyed speculation by posters which then become rumors on other boards.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That could be a blockbuster trade. There are 6 speed receivers available in this draft. Johnson could be there with the #5. I love Sidney Rice / So. Car. later in the 1st. Cards do not have speed. They need speed. If the Vikes overwhelmed the Cards, why not consider it? Never fall in love with something you have, in football. If the Vikings are willing to make a lopsided deal, ...WTH.

If you can trade a Hershel Walker or AROD you can trade a Larry Fitgerald. With the right offer just about anyone is tradeable if it strengthens your team.