Vikes may target Larry Fitzgerald

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i would take the 1st rounder and hutchinson or smoot, birk and the first and second rounder. nothing less

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Rod and the scouts bust with those choices, then that will be the reason to fire them. You and I couldn't blow those picks.
why not? only about half of first round picks aren't busts. go to the teams official site and look at our draft history, wadsworth, lj shelton, tommy knight, david boston, antrel rolle, and thats recent

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
why not? only about half of first round picks aren't busts. go to the teams official site and look at our draft history, wadsworth, lj shelton, tommy knight, david boston, antrel rolle, and thats recent

By technicality, Boston wasn't a bust until AFTER he left Arizona, but youer point is well taken.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
You left the Vikings ist Round pick, #7 overall out of the equation. Not swapping our #5 for their #7. 2 players and their 1st round pick. Now, what do you get with their 1st round and your own 1st round?

It improves your chance of getting one good player, probably not two. That assuming Graves and company know what they are doing. I don't have a warm fuzzy about that. Even so, two draft picks that high will be very expensive. Meanwhile, B.J. is your #2 receiver. If Anquan or B.J. gets hurt, you are starting Leron McCoy or Troy Walters. Not a pretty picture.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards do not need to mess with Leinart's development by trading Fitz.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Exactly...Bust potential is huge!

I am not saying don't take the 7th pick it's exciting...it's a gamble. But you can't trade guys like Larry for gambles and good starters....you need more.

It's a moot point because the Vikings would/could never give what it would take to get LF, IMO.

I would only take Hutchinson or K. Williams, the 7th pick, and Smoot. You would then have to seriously consider Donte Stallworth a priority in FA.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly...Bust potential is huge!

I am not saying don't take the 7th pick it's exciting...it's a gamble. But you can't trade guys like Larry for gambles and good starters....you need more.

It's a moot point because the Vikings would/could never give what it would take to get LF, IMO.

I would only take Hutchinson or K. Williams, the 7th pick, and Smoot. You would then have to seriously consider Donte Stallworth a priority in FA.
i agree, before when i said i would make the trade i showed that i wanted more then anyone would really give up---i dont want the trade personally, but if someone offered me on of the top three o-linemen (hutchinson) in football and the 7th pick i would have to think real hard. Then one of those two picks must be calvin johnson (who may be there at 5) or tedd ginn who we could probably trade down again and still get. if one of them turns out to be as good as fitz then we essentially got hutchinson as a free agent

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ok hutchinson, smoot and the 7th pick. thtas it, i love ya larry but i will have to love you all the way to minnesota

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Why would someone want Smoot over Winfield? Antoine is a freaking stud.

Birk - All Pro Center
Winfield - All Pro Corner
#7 & #5

There is a good possibility that Johnson or Thomas will be there at 5 if Russell, Peterson, & Quinn go first. Then with #7 you take the best DL or WR available. Anderson, or Adams. Make the deal on draft day after we know who is sitting at the 5 slot. This seems easy to me.

Fitz for

Birk, Winfield, Johnson/Thomas, & Ginn/Anderson??? The math adds up in my mind. This has nothing to do with Larry the player... His talent and the appeal of him being at home in Minnesota is the only reason it could happen.

But the chances are very low that ANYTHING like this would ever happen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you went around the NFL and offered every GM a choice of Matt Birk and Antoine Winfield *or* Larry Fitzgerald, how many would pick Birk and Winfield?

My guess is not very many. Larry Fitzgerald is a top five receiver IMO and just 23. With his work ethic, I think he's got plenty of upside and, if he stays healthy, should thrill Cardinal fans for years to come.

i think if you threw in the 7th pick in the draft, every single one of them would.

and yet again, this is a case of fans overvaluing their team . . . amazing.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
i think if you threw in the 7th pick in the draft, every single one of them would.

and yet again, this is a case of fans overvaluing their team . . . amazing.

His :koolaid: is a deep red. But I can see his passion to a point. Fitz is what the NFL needs. Great players who just make plays and are passionate about the on-field aspect of the game.

The allure to keep him is also very strong in my mind.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
First of all, Fitz isn't going anywhere.

The Cardinals have to make a big splash in free agency...they need to cover their immediate needs there so they can draft BPA in each round of the draft.

Secondly, the Vikings will not part with Hutch, Winfield or Birk...let alone part with two of them and the #7. That would be insane.

What could happen, however, is if Calvin Johnson is on the board at #5, then the Cards could swap the #5 for the Vikes' #7 and either a 3rd or 4th rounder or a choice of CB Fred Smoot, DE Darrion Scott, RB Mewelde Moore or CB Cedric Griffin.

At #7 the Cardinals would still be able to draft S Reggie Nelson...the most dynamic DB in this draft....and at a slot where he is a more logical choice.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

The Cardinals have to make a big splash in free agency...they need to cover their immediate needs there so they can draft BPA in each round of the draft.

Secondly, the Vikings will not part with Hutch, Winfield or Birk...let alone part with two of them and the #7. That would be insane.

What could happen, however, is if Calvin Johnson is on the board at #5, then the Cards could swap the #5 for the Vikes' #7 and either a 3rd or 4th rounder or a choice of CB Fred Smoot, DE Darrion Scott, RB Mewelde Moore or CB Cedric Griffin.

At #7 the Cardinals would still be able to draft S Reggie Nelson...the most dynamic DB in this draft....and at a slot where he is a more logical choice.

Love it, anything that gets us Nelson is fine with me. Hop on the wagon theres room.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'd want more. I think the value between the 5 and 7 slot is greater than what you propose, Mitch.

To swap, I'd need a 3rd or 4th AND fred smoot or Griffin.

OR

Their number one next year. Just like what Cleveland gave up to move one slot to nab KW II.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I'd want more. I think the value between the 5 and 7 slot is greater than what you propose, Mitch.

To swap, I'd need a 3rd or 4th AND fred smoot or Griffin.

OR

Their number one next year. Just like what Cleveland gave up to move one slot to nab KW II.

To swap 5 and 7 i think we need to get a 3rd this year, smoot, and a 2nd next year

That sounds fair to me even if we have to throw in a fifth id be fine with that too.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i would swap with Minny if they just threw in Winfield. That is assuming both Peterson and Thomas are gone. I would also swap if the gave us a 3rd and Darrion Scott or ,maybe, Udezi. He didn't have a sack the entire year which is pretty hard to believe so his value has to be at an all time low.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
minnesota was real stupid once...i doubt they will be real stupid again...right mr. herschel walker!!

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That could be a blockbuster trade. There are 6 speed receivers available in this draft. Johnson could be there with the #5. I love Sidney Rice / So. Car. later in the 1st. Cards do not have speed. They need speed. If the Vikes overwhelmed the Cards, why not consider it? Never fall in love with something you have, in football. If the Vikings are willing to make a lopsided deal, ...WTH.

As the resident Gamecock, I am a big fan of Sidney Rice. That said, I'd rather have Fitz.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I love Fitz. But, if we can make Minnesota our bitch in a trade, I'd part with him. We can be very selective. But, what happens if Fitz finds out there were serious trade talks? I think in some ways, Fitz and Q are too similar for each to flourish.

SightsSoundsBach13

Registered
Reaction score
You can draft a wide receiver as physical as Fitz, draft a receiver with the leaping of the jumping ability of Fitz, and maybe draft a receiver that adapts to the NFL game as quick as Fitz, but it would be a real gamble and I doubt you'd get all three in the same guy.

The only player in the NFL I could see trading Fitz would've been Champ Bailey but, man, he is a good four years older than Fitz. I dunno. Would certainly balance our team out. We're better off throwing a lot of money at Asante Samuel.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
We have a lot of positions to fill to be a PlayOff team. Q makes the WR corp Play Off quality by himself. And, B Johnson is not, despite what some people say, chop liver. We can immediately upgrade 3 positions in the draft alone. And, maybe 2 more in FA? Upgrade the talent with 5 contributing starters? I say, do it!

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to interject reality into this thread.

First part of reality:

When I see comments like "Fitz and Quan can't flourish together" it blows my mind.

Did everyone miss 2 years ago when both receivers were healthy, didn't have an offensive coordinator change and a QB change?

What were those stats again? Oh yeah 205 receptions for 2811 yards.

Yeah they absolutely can't flourish together. :rolleyes: :doi: :slap:

Second part of reality:

This isn't Madden. Other teams don't trade all their top guys for your 1 and add draft picks. Especially in the NFL. Further, when trading for guys there is absolutely no guarantee they will perform at their customary level in their new location.

The team is flush with cap room, it has high draft picks. The pieces are in place to address weaknesses WITHOUT taking away from the strengths of your team.