Fitz to be traded to the Vikings in the offseason?

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz has a locked up contract.

He has a QBOF here that will get him the ball for years to come (look what happened to Moss when he went to Oakland).

Leinart has improved back again when Fitz is in the lineup. No way you send him away.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where does some of this stuff come from? There is no way the Cards trade Fitz. It's very rare you have two great receivers on the same team. The next coach who comes in here is going to salivate.

Not to mention that if the rumors are true that they want Pete and he will be GM as well....there is no way the Cards make any trades without first consulting the new GM. Since we don't have them yet, there are not going to be any trades right now.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
First, I'm very much against trading one of our key players. Not only is Fitz one of our key players, he's also one of the best in the league at his position, a Pro-Bowler AND he has not even hit his prime yet.

Second, most of you really don't understand what trade value is in the league. Trade value is measured by future production, injury status and age - NOT past production. You're selling Fitz waaay short when wanting to trade him straight up with Pace or Birk. In terms of trade value, Fitz has arguably the 2nd highest trade value of any WR in the entire league (I consider Chad Johnson having the highest value).

Best examples are Portis and Faulk. Faulk had injury concerns and some believed he was getting up there in age. His trade value was a high 2nd rounder and a high 5th rounder (570 value points). Portis was traded after his break-out season, and his value was a high 2nd rounder AND a pro-bowl CB. (I would argue that Bailey's value at a minimum was a mid 1st rounder straight up, so Portis' value was around 1540 total points). Portis' value was almost 3 times as high as Faulk's because he hadn't even entered prime AND had no injury concerns.

Trades that I would consider (eventhough I'm not for the idea):
- Fitz straight up with Saints' Jamaal Brown.The best young OT in the league.
- Fitz for Jet's Mangold and Jet's 2nd rounder.
- Fitz for Redskins' RT Jon Jansen and their 2nd rounder.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Unless he all of a sudden has some off field problems,Fitz is going nowhere. Most WR's that are stars,or stars in their mind, are complete asses. Owens, Moss, Burress,Bryant,Braylon Edwards,Chad Johnson(even though i like him), come to mind right away. It's pretty rare to have two guys that are legitimate stars and class acts on/off the field.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yup. And Calvin Johnson is available at the top of the draft. Fitz's replacement with mucho speed.
I think the point of this thread is that we wouldn't necessarily need a replacement for FITZ.

We are way to overstocked at one position....and if we could trade him we could get help in the Secondary and at LB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Trades that I would consider (eventhough I'm not for the idea):
- Fitz straight up with Saints' Jamaal Brown.The best young OT in the league.
- Fitz for Jet's Mangold and Jet's 2nd rounder.
- Fitz for Redskins' RT Jon Jansen and their 2nd rounder.

Both of Washington's OTs are totally overrated and overpaid. I wouldn't want either of them. If we were to deal with the Vikings, I'd wouldn't take less than Bryant McKinnie and their first rounder for Larry Fitzgerald. McKinnie was in Pro Bowl form at the end of last season, and was looking to make a real leap this season before he regressed a little bit.

The problem with McKinnie is that he'll be entering his sixth year next year, which is his contract year. Why is that a problem? Because the Vikings likely won't be able to re-sign the former Top 10 pick, because Hutchinson has a clause in his contract that says that if he isn't the highest-paid OL on his team, he get a bonus or something (the poison pill that kept the Seahawks from matching his offer sheet).

The Cards would have to extend McKinnie's deal once he came here, but they would have a OT with exceptional skills entering the prime of his career. While losing Fitz would be frustrating beyond belief for many fans, a deal like that would produce an offensive line that may look like this:

McKinnie - Davis - (Andre Gurode, FA, Cowboys) - Lutui - Wells

Leckey and maybe Stepanovich would be retained as RFAs and battle for one spot in training camp. Bryant Johnson could fill in on the outside and in three WR sets Boldin can be moved into the slot and open up the outside for Calvin Johnson.

It's a total pie-in-the-sky consideration, since it'll never, ever happen, but it would be an intriguing scenario.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
The problem with McKinnie is that he'll be entering his sixth year next year, which is his contract year. Why is that a problem? Because the Vikings likely won't be able to re-sign the former Top 10 pick, because Hutchinson has a clause in his contract that says that if he isn't the highest-paid OL on his team, he get a bonus or something (the poison pill that kept the Seahawks from matching his offer sheet)

The clause was that if he wasn't the highest paid lineman on the team his contract would be guaranteed.

Like Pariah, I'd listen to all trade scenarios. However unless I'm completed blown away by the trade proposal guys like Q and Fitz are going nowhere. Just because you listen to trade scenarios doesn't mean you're saying you're doing the deal

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Both of Washington's OTs are totally overrated and overpaid. I wouldn't want either of them. If we were to deal with the Vikings, I'd wouldn't take less than Bryant McKinnie and their first rounder for Larry Fitzgerald. McKinnie was in Pro Bowl form at the end of last season, and was looking to make a real leap this season before he regressed a little bit.

The problem with McKinnie is that he'll be entering his sixth year next year, which is his contract year. Why is that a problem? Because the Vikings likely won't be able to re-sign the former Top 10 pick, because Hutchinson has a clause in his contract that says that if he isn't the highest-paid OL on his team, he get a bonus or something (the poison pill that kept the Seahawks from matching his offer sheet).

The Cards would have to extend McKinnie's deal once he came here, but they would have a OT with exceptional skills entering the prime of his career. While losing Fitz would be frustrating beyond belief for many fans, a deal like that would produce an offensive line that may look like this:

McKinnie - Davis - (Andre Gurode, FA, Cowboys) - Lutui - Wells

Leckey and maybe Stepanovich would be retained as RFAs and battle for one spot in training camp. Bryant Johnson could fill in on the outside and in three WR sets Boldin can be moved into the slot and open up the outside for Calvin Johnson.

It's a total pie-in-the-sky consideration, since it'll never, ever happen, but it would be an intriguing scenario.
I agree that Samuels is overrated, but I really like Jansen. He, however, is often injured, so I guess you have a point on that account.

I think you're on to something with adding a FA C. There are several quality free agent centers after this season.
Gurode, DAL
Braham, CIN
O'Hara, NYG
Steinbach, CIN (Quality G that has filled in at C - and played very well)
Koppen, NE
McClure, ATL
Newberry, SF (If injury-free of course)

Leckey is IMO good enough to be the permanent back-up C. He's not the long-term answer or a great C. But he's IMO good enough to fill in, if the pieces around him are there.

What's your take on the OTs? Is Wells good enough to be the blindside RT? Big has looked solid at LT since Leinart took over, and Big doesn't protect the blindside, anymore. But is that good enough?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Getting back to the trade idea, again...

Why trade a proven player for a draft pick to draft another at the same position?

If the concern is Boldin and Fitz being to simular, why not trade for a deep threat?

Again, this isn't happening, but an interesting scenario could be...

Trading Fitz for Lee Evans. Evans is developing into one of the best deep threats in the league. That could give our offense a spark. Evans and their 1st for Fitz and our 3rd.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure that McKinnie signed a contract extension after last season.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
If something is working, dont mess with it. It is incomprehensible someone would consider trading one of these 2 for an unproven draft choice. Even the Cardinals wont do something that stupid.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I think the point of this thread is that we wouldn't necessarily need a replacement for FITZ.

We are way to overstocked at one position....and if we could trade him we could get help in the Secondary and at LB.

The best way to look at it is to see what kind of team we want to be then decide.

We are well on our way to a dominating passing attack, we need a third WR IMO that is just flat out fast, with that the set is complete but to say we are overstocked is a stretch IMO.

Every team is overstocked at some position, it's usually because they've decided to be that kind of team.

If the new coach wants to be a running team and a dominant defense then yeah we should trade him otherwise no.