Vikes may target Larry Fitzgerald

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could be a blockbuster trade. There are 6 speed receivers available in this draft. Johnson could be there with the #5. I love Sidney Rice / So. Car. later in the 1st. Cards do not have speed. They need speed. If the Vikes overwhelmed the Cards, why not consider it? Never fall in love with something you have, in football. If the Vikings are willing to make a lopsided deal, ...WTH.

Wally, check you PM's.

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
at first i thought this was a stupid idea. but if we could trade fitz for the pick and some line help (either side) and draft Peterson and Johnson that would be money

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Larry's Great and all but we have two possession receivers, we need a speed guy.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Because you can't lose someone of his calibur and hope the crapshoot that is the NFL draft pans out with the pick you get in return.

I thought the premise was 2 of Vikes starters and a pick. That would be a crapshoot with very favorable odds.

AzWins23

Reaction score
at first i thought this was a stupid idea. but if we could trade fitz for the pick and some line help (either side) and draft Peterson and Johnson that would be money

So we would trade proven talent with a chance of talent?? I don't get why the Cardinals would do this at all. I think the last 2 Tackles both OT and DT that were drafted in the top 5 were Gerrard Warren and Robert Gallery, and look how they look now?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It's a ridiculous idea but you at least have to listen if the names McKinnie, Hutchinson, and K. Williams are spoken.

You don't trade proven, polished, HOF "type" players for draft picks, IMO.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Their #1.... Winfield, & Birk.

I would do it. Sorry guys.

i would do it to.

why? someone asked.

easy winfield and birk are one of the best at their position. birk goes to the pro-bowl almost every season he played. winfield is a very good corner that the cardinals desparatly need. then on top of that you get the number 7 pick. the cardinals can trade that pick to get more picks or vice versa with the 5th pick. you still get the top ten pick and more picks to help build depth for the team.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
i would do it to.

why? someone asked.

easy winfield and birk are one of the best at their position. birk goes to the pro-bowl almost every season he played. winfield is a very good corner that the cardinals desparatly need. then on top of that you get the number 7 pick. the cardinals can trade that pick to get more picks or vice versa with the 5th pick. you still get the top ten pick and more picks to help build depth for the team.

If you went around the NFL and offered every GM a choice of Matt Birk and Antoine Winfield *or* Larry Fitzgerald, how many would pick Birk and Winfield?

My guess is not very many. Larry Fitzgerald is a top five receiver IMO and just 23. With his work ethic, I think he's got plenty of upside and, if he stays healthy, should thrill Cardinal fans for years to come.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Doesn't this same crap rumor get posted every post-season? I know for a fact this is at LEAST the second post-season Fitz has been rumored to be headed to Minnesota.

Why would Arizona trade him? They have no need to. It's just this Minnesota writer's pipe dream of what he HOPES happens.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
It's a ridiculous idea but you at least have to listen if the names McKinnie, Hutchinson, and K. Williams are spoken.

You don't trade proven, polished, HOF "type" players for draft picks, IMO.

And the odds are, Minnesota won't want to trade any of the three.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you went around the NFL and offered every GM a choice of Matt Birk and Antoine Winfield *or* Larry Fitzgerald, how many would pick Birk and Winfield?

My guess is not very many. Larry Fitzgerald is a top five receiver IMO and just 23. With his work ethic, I think he's got plenty of upside and, if he stays healthy, should thrill Cardinal fans for years to come.

You left the Vikings ist Round pick, #7 overall out of the equation. Not swapping our #5 for their #7. 2 players and their 1st round pick. Now, what do you get with their 1st round and your own 1st round?

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we would trade proven talent with a chance of talent??

No kidding. Maybe the Cards should hire Matt Millen to draft WRs. I mean, look at all the success the Lions have had at drafting marquee WRs.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So we would trade proven talent with a chance of talent??

That isn't the idea. The idea is to trade two very good players and their first pick for Fitzgerald. We get two proven players at two positions that we really need it. Then we have two first round picks.

I'm not all excited to trade Fitzgerald. He's good for the team but if someone knocks us off of our feet with a trade proposal we should at least look at it.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A huge gamble on 2 players with huge bust potential...stick with the proven talent.

If Rod and the scouts bust with those choices, then that will be the reason to fire them. You and I couldn't blow those picks.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A huge gamble on 2 players with huge bust potential...stick with the proven talent.
That's not what he was saying. He was saying Matt Birk, Antoine Winfield and Minnesota's first round pick, giving us two players that are very good that we could use and two first round picks.