Waiting and seeing

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have to agree that on paper we're probably not a top twenty defense.

We don't appear to have anybody on that side of the ball who has the the ability to change to momentum of a game. No JJ, or a C. Jones or a Dansby (I see you Budda!).

If we have any hope of making the playoffs, I think one of two things has to happen:

1. One of the defensive rookies emerges as a big-time playmaker. Like, DROY-level playmaker, or

2. Gannon and Rallis can find a way to make the whole defense (significantly) better than the sum of its parts.
I keep telling anyone who will listen that I believe Kyzir White will be a difference-maker this year. Maybe not in terms of sacks or INT's but his presence on the field will be a booster to the overall play. That's good enough to put us in a position to perhaps win a game or two we shouldn't.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I keep telling anyone who will listen that I believe Kyzir White will be a difference-maker this year. Maybe not in terms of sacks or INT's but his presence on the field will be a booster to the overall play. That's good enough to put us in a position to perhaps win a game or two we shouldn't.
We were an awful defense with him last year.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was the best thing about a bad defense, but sometimes diamonds in the rough turn out his to be quartz.
agreed but Gannon saw something in White most didn’t see.

I’m hoping he is a rough diamond needing only cutting and polishing.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Yeah I'm really interested to see what Kyzir can do if he has some guys in front of him that can keep the opposing offensive line a little more honest!

Vs. 2023 maybe he'll get the opportunity to blitz a little more!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To have a good year the defense needs to step up into the middle of the NFL. And it isn't hard to figure out where the improvement HAS to come from.

The defense was 32nd against the run, and 31st in points allowed.

Believe it or not, our pass defense was 18th, and our sacks were 18th in the league last year. Of course, you don't need to pass a lot when it is so easy to run the ball. This is why I have been beating the drum for run stuffers for about 10 years now.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To have a good year the defense needs to step up into the middle of the NFL. And it isn't hard to figure out where the improvement HAS to come from.

The defense was 32nd against the run, and 31st in points allowed.

Believe it or not, our pass defense was 18th, and our sacks were 18th in the league last year. Of course, you don't need to pass a lot when it is so easy to run the ball. This is why I have been beating the drum for run stuffers for about 10 years now.
We were 28th in net YPA. 30th in pressure percentage.

I don’t know where you’re getting 18th in sacks. I see 29th.

I see us 19th in sacks ALLOWED.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The best argument for defensive improvement is a better run defense. AZ was 2nd in the league in run yards allowed per attempt at 4.7. Also 19 rush TDs allowed.

Also, AZ was 2nd in the league in % of drives ending in scores at 44%.

I don't believe the Cardinals will likely see a drop in defensive snaps. They ended 2023 21st with 1060, and the 32nd team allowed 1004.

Essentially, an improved rush defense will likely drop the Cardinals from #1 in rush attempts allowed but also raise their position as 31st in the NFL is pass attempts faced. The best case scenario is the increase in pass attempts will result in more negative plays (penalties, sacks and turnovers) and neutral plays (incompletions) which will put the defense in more advantageous positions where they have a better chance to be successful.

(the alternative view is that offenses will just be more successful throwing the ball because of the poor pressure rate, and completion % allowed.)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The hope is the increase in talent up front and at CB to take advantage of better defensive situations.

Agree and maybe JG/NR have enough talent this year so that they can actually scheme some sacks.

Still scary though. When you talk about opposing offenses throwing more this year if we're better against the run that's scary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's what I'm most concerned about for the 2024 version of our defense.

Where are the sacks going to come from?
I’m not going to get in to this again.

The hope is the increase in talent up front and at CB to take advantage of better defensive situations.

There were a lot of guys running free in the secondary last year. Oof.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m not going to get in to this again.

There were a lot of guys running free in the secondary last year. Oof.
Yeah. Not much resistance defensively. Someone could probably argue that the defense could be twice as good and still be ranked in the bottom 12 of the league. Best jump that I could see as "arguable" is a move from 29-32 to 20-22. Any greater improvement IMO would be a "sum greater than the parts" scenario.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah. Not much resistance defensively. Someone could probably argue that the defense could be twice as good and still be ranked in the bottom 12 of the league. Best jump that I could see as "arguable" is a move from 29-32 to 20-22. Any greater improvement IMO would be a "sum greater than the parts" scenario.
I think you want them to be better at the end of the season than the beginning. Maybe I’ll start tracking the rolling three-game average for rushing YPA and passer rating. We could end the season ranked 26th but be playing like the 16th best defense by the end of the year.

Onboarding ~eight defensive starters with a bunch of rookies is not going to be easy.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think you want them to be better at the end of the season than the beginning. Maybe I’ll start tracking the rolling three-game average for rushing YPA and passer rating. We could end the season ranked 26th but be playing like the 16th best defense by the end of the year.

Onboarding ~eight defensive starters with a bunch of rookies is not going to be easy.
Outside of the EDGE situation, this is the biggest issue IMO. A lot of inexperience to overcome.

(Agree with the above part as well)

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
It will be great to have him back but returning from an ACL injury takes time.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Outside of the EDGE situation, this is the biggest issue IMO. A lot of inexperience to overcome.

Agree could take until the middle of the season before the defence fully gels. I just hope the new personnel give us a step change in the level of play before then.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yeah. One of the reasons I don't think we'll get into the playoffs. Between the inexperience, lack of playmakers on D, the edge room, and our early schedule, it's going to be tough sledding, even with my faith in Rallis. Really counting on the O to shine.