Warner/Bartelstein: NEW OFFER TO CARDS!! (reasonable)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap @ the guaranteed money.

The guaranteed money is 12. Somers is including his salary for 2009 in that 19 million number since he almost certainly won't be cut before game 1 this year. But, the Cards COULD cut him at the end of camp and pocket that 7mil. So, it isn't guaranteed.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would take the latest offer and toss it right in the trash. 19 million guaranteed..nice try. And the Boldin clause is a joke. Kurt Warner dictates a little too much. He always acts like the team guy to the media, but if you really stop and look at how he acts is it just me or is it a little annoying how he tries to dictate the play calling and now the player contracts. When he was used in a "special package" in 2007 it was funny how he acted like Leinart should be ok with that when you know he woudl have been whining if the roles were reversed. If this was Edge or Boldin about 99% of all fans and media would be killing him, but Warner gets a free pass. It is tiring. What a primadonna. The whole SF trip was a joke. This whole process is a joke.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guaranteed money is 12. Somers is including his salary for 2009 in that 19 million number since he almost certainly won't be cut before game 1 this year. But, the Cards COULD cut him at the end of camp and pocket that 7mil. So, it isn't guaranteed.

So you want us to argue and believe that it isn't guaranteed, because it isn't technically so?

:hahahaha:

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's a slam dunk and is actually only 10.5/year if they re-sign Q. If he has a down year we can renegotiate next offseason to see if he wants to be a backup for 6M, if he has another great year then we are set to keep him.

I read that part of the article also about the 'Q" reduction. Clarify it for me. Does it mean he reduces the reported number of 12.5 per year by 1 million or does it mean if Q is not signed then the Cards owe Warner an additional 1 mill each year?

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I would take the latest offer and toss it right in the trash. 19 million guaranteed..nice try. And the Boldin clause is a joke. Kurt Warner dictates a little too much. He always acts like the team guy to the media, but if you really stop and look at how he acts is it just me or is it a little annoying how he tries to dictate the play calling and now the player contracts. When he was used in a "special package" in 2007 it was funny how he acted like Leinart should be ok with that when you know he woudl have been whining if the roles were reversed. If this was Edge or Boldin about 99% of all fans and media would be killing him, but Warner gets a free pass. It is tiring. What a primadonna. The whole SF trip was a joke. This whole process is a joke.

:yeahthat: Well said

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you want us to argue and believe that it isn't guaranteed, because it isn't technically so?

:hahahaha:

THAT would make us a joke of a franchise if we were to sign him after all this BS, and then cut him before Jun 1.

Yes, I'm quoting myself...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it your not a Kurt fan.

Leinart fan. I'll be behind KW if he is signed, but I have my thoughts on which direction this team should go, just like everyone else.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
You mean the last several starts where he was struggling with a third HC and OC in three years, in a system where Kurt also didn't look good? You mean when Warner came in to run a spread it out, hurry up offense that played to his strengths? The style of offense that Kurt continued to run this year?

Or do you mean the rookie starts where he looked promising, leading us to wins that were taken away by the foot of Rackers? Games where both times the defense/STs allowed teams (bears and KC) to take late game leads only to see Matt march the team up into FG range and see his kicker fail him?

I'm getting a little bit fed up with this revisionist history on Leinart. He hasn't proven that he's going to be great, but he also hasn't proven to be worth half the slop tossed on him either.

:notworthy

THANK YOU

I think it is plain crazy to think that Matt has shown NOTHING in his career here and I am getting tired of people ranting about how he is garbage. To me that is just plain laughable. How funny how many people are willing to throw out one of the better QB prospects in a while because he didn't throw for 30 TD's an no INT's his first 16 starts.

He has shown the expected progression of a young starter in this league and definitely has had his moments.

He looked great for all but one half in the preseason (on the road against a good secondary) and was the only QB on the team to stare adversity back in the face and complete a TD in the Pat's game. He might not have been all the way ready in 08 but I am more then postive he is as of today. Especially after this year.

Is he most definitely the answer? No and I am not saying that. Has he shown enough where he deserves the chance to play? Hell yeah.

Any of you arm chair GM's who are ready to get rid of him strictly because you dont' think he has the goods just don't get it.

Sad thing is I can't say for sure whether or not Graves has any more of a clue so we will have to see how this plays out from here.

And for all you conspiracy theorists who think that wiz doesn't like Matt and doesn't think he has it. Besides all the ACTUAL SPOKEN evidence and his actions following through that would say otherwise - if that was the case the team NEVER would have let Warner hit the open market.

You don't risk losing your QB unless you have a palatable back up option.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No argument. You clearly understand it technically isn't.

:D

We could technically cut the entire team to save tens of millions in cap space and then sign a bunch of undrafted free agents...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No argument. You clearly understand it technically isn't.

So are you saying that if Kurt plays part of this year and gets hurt we can drop him before year 2 and only pay him $12 mill? Or would he be paid $19 mill? :shrug:

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Dictate play calling??? How would you run the no huddle?

Whining if roles were reversed???? Are you talking about all the TD given up on the goal line in 2007 that took 500K off his pay. And he did not say one bad thing about it.

I see one thing is the same on any board if your a Matt or Kurt fan facts have nothing to do with the truth.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are you saying that if Kurt plays part of this year and gets hurt we can drop him before year 2 and only pay him $12 mill? Or would he be paid $19 mill? :shrug:

You know the answer to your own question. What are you asking me for?

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Dictate play calling??? How would you run the no huddle?

Whining if roles were reversed???? Are you talking about all the TD gave up on the goal line in 2007 that took 500K off his pay. And he did not say one bad thing about it.

I see one thing is the same on any board if your a Matt or Kurt fan facts have nothing to do with the truth.

Checking off the run to throw INT's I think is what he means.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now the agent is taking it to the airwaves..........how classy. I never knew who Mark Bartlestien was a week ago. Now he is a guest on Gambo and Ash. LMAO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whining if roles were reversed???? Are you talking about all the TD given up on the goal line in 2007 that took 500K off his pay. And he did not say one bad thing about it.

Didn't say one thing about it? I remember him whining like one of his kids about it.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Nicely said.

I like the idea of having both Warner and Lienart on the team.

If you think Warner didn't have a lot to do with this team making it to the Superbowl then you are just plain wrong.

If you think Leinart has all of a sudden become a bust, then you are just plain wrong.

It is a luxary that the Cardinal have two qualified QB's on the roster, and with the passing attack this team has it is needed.

I don't see this organization doing too much to improve the run game so we are who we are.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
i think its fair, especially since he is willing to reduce $1 million each season if we can get Boldin back happy.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not disputing what you wrote, but that's not at all how i remembered it. I thought that while being interviewed prior to the Super Bowl, Fitzgerald was somewhat put on the spot and asked whether he would play for less money if it would help to keep Boldin on the team, and his reply was something like, "Uh, yeah, sure."

I am not aware of him ever repeating that "offer" or making a more specific offer with a $2M figure, but if he did, i'd like to read about it. Does anyone have a link?

In any case, making a supportive statement and actually putting the terms in a contract are very, very different. I've never heard of a player actually proposing a contract where he'd get less if another player were given a more satisfactory contract.

...dave

EDIT: Now that i've read the posts merged in from the other thread, i see that we're pretty much in agreement....

Dave sorry for the misunderstanding. The "this player" in my statement was referring to Kurt Warner, not Fizgerald.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think its fair, especially since he is willing to reduce $1 million each season if we can get Boldin back happy.

So you think 17M guaranteed is a fair amount for Warner?

That's more than Kerry Collins got for his entire deal.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05