Warner/Bartelstein: NEW OFFER TO CARDS!! (reasonable)

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually like what Graves is doing by trying to put all of the guarenteed money on this coming season.

I may be wrong, but the way I understood it, Kurt's proposal would signify the end of the Leinart's career in Arizona unless the team really falls in love with him this year. Kurt will be counted for 6mill against the cap in 2010 next year no matter what happens and with Leinart's already high price for that season I am anxious to see what the Cards will do.

Agreed.

While the offer is good on the surface, the Cards need to decide if they're going to keep Leinart or not.
After last summer, i'm not sure Leinart is Whiz's guy. There are plenty of teams that could take him, say Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, etc - get draft picks and/or D help.

The point is that the time is now for the Cards, not 2,3 or 4yrs down the road. The window is NOW.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think Warner is worth that type of money to the team right now.

BUT who knows which Warner will show up next year ?

To pick a side: I would take the big money gamble and sign Warner. I think he will be able to produce close to what he did last year, and our QB situation will be phenominal once again.

Warner
Lienart
BSP

That is some serious QB depth.

Yup and this team is built around it's passing game. You gotta love it.:thumbup:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After last summer, i'm not sure Leinart is Whiz's guy. There are plenty of teams that could take him, say Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, etc - get draft picks and/or D help.

You have seen the going rate in these trades right? It is not anywhere close to what the fantasy footballer ASFNers come up with for Leinart or Boldin.

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
If, Warner does sign, ML and Q will be gone this year. ML will leave because,I believe Whiz just does not have confidence in him on the playing field also think Whiz has some character issues with him.
Q with ML will get traded because this year they will get maximum value.
Bottom Line, this is Whiz's team and soon where going to see him make his move
and show us what Phase 2 is going to be.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If, Warner does sign, ML and Q will be gone this year. ML will leave because,I believe Whiz just does not have confidence in him on the playing field also think Whiz has some character issues with him.

Matt Leinart won't be worth a 3rd if we resign KW.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Agreed.

While the offer is good on the surface, the Cards need to decide if they're going to keep Leinart or not.

The point is that the time is now for the Cards, not 2,3 or 4yrs down the road. The window is NOW.

:thumbup:Sieze the day!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 134

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Another thing I am not betting on is if Warner can stay healthy for the majority of the season after a season in which he started 20 games.

Totally irrelavent to this topic... Kurt led the f'n Cardinals to the Super Bowl... He didn't do it alone, but he was a primary cog in the machine. Had Matty been at the helm we wouldn't have gotten past the Fowlcons...

How many games has Kurt missed in the last 2 seasons? There is no reason to believe he won't play much, if not all of next season. Regardless of that however is the fact that he has earned a new, higher contract. If it's what his agent is now pushing, great! However, I would not want to be Graves if the Cards lose Warner over $3million or less...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I disagree, there is no "maximum value" to be had. Matt Cassell and Mike Vrabel were traded for a high second rounder ffs.

Cardinals would be lucky to get a second or third rounder for Boldin and worse for Leinart with that contract bonus looming next year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree, there is no "maximum value" to be had. Matt Cassell and Mike Vrabel were traded for a high second rounder ffs.

Cardinals would be lucky to get a second or third rounder for Boldin and worse for Leinart with that contract bonus looming next year.

Disagree with Boldin, he is easily worth a 1st.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Kent Somers:

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/47482

I don't know yet how the Cardinals are viewing the latest offer from Kurt Warner's agent, but I bet "home run" is not the way they would describe it.

Mark Bartelstein has proposed a 2-year, $23 million deal that includes $12 million in guaranteed money. Those guarantees are split evenly between the two years, Bartelstein said.

But, according to someone familiar with the offer, the guarantees don't include the $7 million salary in the first year. Since Warner is almost assured of that, the guaranteed money could be calculated as $19 million. That means only $4 million of the deal, presumably the salary in the second year, is not guaranteed.

I don't think the Cardinals will be in a rush to sign it. Negotiations continue.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally irrelavent to this topic... Kurt led the f'n Cardinals to the Super Bowl... He didn't do it alone, but he was a primary cog in the machine.

Disagree. It is completely relevant. If you are going to commit to the guy for 2 years, you better be damn sure you are going to get what you pay for.

The fact that his age and having played what, 31 straight games, and 20 in this season, taking a lot of hits..well, that is relevant to how much money we pay and HOW it is structured especially (and more importantly, really).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Kent Somers:

I don't know yet how the Cardinals are viewing the latest offer from Kurt Warner's agent, but I bet "home run" is not the way they would describe it.

Mark Bartelstein has proposed a 2-year, $23 million deal that includes $12 million in guaranteed money. Those guarantees are split evenly between the two years, Bartelstein said.

But, according to someone familiar with the offer, the guarantees don't include the $7 million salary in the first year. Since Warner is almost assured of that, the guaranteed money could be calculated as $19 million. That means only $4 million of the deal, presumably the salary in the second year, is not guaranteed.

I don't think the Cardinals will be in a rush to sign it. Negotiations continue.

I hope that's the case.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Per Kent Somers:

Just let him go to San Francisco and end this.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great move by the agent here. It was always going to be bad PR if they lost Warner. Now... "same old Cardinals" is all we're going to hear if the Cards don't sign Warner. And, just about a month removed from the Super Bowl, that's amazing. Graves just got taken to school. Signing him, and put the best face possible on getting whipped in negotiations, is really the only logical good outcome for the Cardinals. If they turn the screws and force Warner to take their deal, every guy they want to keep will take note of that (like Wilson) and they add tremendous difficulty to those negotiations.

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
Per Kent Somers:

Guess I'll put the 7 jersey back on for a few minutes.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$19 million guaranteed is a HELL of a lot of money on a two year deal. Holy schmokes.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Disagree. It is completely relevant. If you are going to commit to the guy for 2 years, you better be damn sure you are going to get what you pay for.

The fact that his age and having played what, 31 straight games, and 20 in this season, taking a lot of hits..well, that is relevant to how much money we pay and HOW it is structured especially (and more importantly, really).

You make a valid point. But he's proven he's more durable than Lienart. Can Leinart even get us to a 17th game, let alone make through a season, right now? That isn't a given by any means. With Warner you know what you have got. He played hurt AND well two seasons ago. He's as much a trooper as Boldin is.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give me a break now Warner wants a contract with a guaranteed $19 million and most think we should sign him and this is a great deal. Sorry but I don't buy that at all. Basically we would be stuck with him for two years or at least $6 million for the second year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$19 million guaranteed is a HELL of a lot of money on a two year deal. Holy schmokes.

And people were saying that Haynesworth's deal is bad because he is getting around 60% guaranteed.

19/23 = 82.6% guaranteed.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap @ the guaranteed money.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make a valid point. But he's proven he's more durable than Lienart. Can Leinart even get us to a 17th game, let alone make through a season, right now? That isn't a given by any means. With Warner you know what you have got. He played hurt AND well two seasons ago. He's as much a trooper as Boldin is.

The guy played one week after nearly having his forearm torn off by Julius Peppers. It's the worst injury I've ever seen a Cardinals player come right back from and play with. Until Boldin's injury this year, possibly. But, that was repaired by surgery.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05