Warner re-signed.

FlagstaffDave

Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
So much for Warner's "I'll take $2 million less, if you spend it on the O-line".

Oh jeez.

No one held a gun to the Cardinals and forced them to give him the contract. That's the deal they worked out. If you don't like it then to bad.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Actually, I almost like it better. With $7 million in year one, then the rest of the contract is 2 years at $11 million, and I don't mind spending $5 million for a starting quarterback, and if we develop a guy, then Warner's likely history in year 2 or 3 anyway.

And it is smart on Kurt's side. Let's say we draft a guy and next year Kurt's contract number is smaller, not bigger than this year. There will be more of a chance that we keep him later in the contract if the base salary is lower than early, when we all KNOW he will start for AZ.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Let me go on record as saying the following: I have no bloody idea if Navarre is any good, whether he's horrible, whether he has any potential, etc. etc.......and truthfully, I can't see how anyone else can.

If you can make this distinction based on BRIEF (a total of two quarters in two games over the last two years) appearances, then you should change whatever your profession is and apply for a job as a QB coach with an NFL team, because it appears you know more than Dennis Green does.

I'm not trying to single you out.......I'm just fed up with how people make these kind of judgements with so little to go on.

:thumbup:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
FlagstaffDave said:
We?

Well gee it's nice that the Cardinals have fans that help support the payroll. You guys need to quit whining about paying to much, it's not your money. For once the Cardinals kept someone they needed to keep, and it's a reasonable contract.

I'm also sure Kurt will try to stay healthy just for you guys. :rolleyes:

It IS our money they are spending. Where do you think the money for payroll comes from? The tooth fairy?

:shrug:

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
FlagstaffDave said:
We?

Well gee it's nice that the Cardinals have fans that help support the payroll. You guys need to quit whining about paying to much, it's not your money. For once the Cardinals kept someone they needed to keep, and it's a reasonable contract.

Ah the newbie "Flagstaff" Dave swooping in with his high-and-mighty holier-than-thou attitude.

For some of us that are fans of this team, it is a "we" relationship, as most of us have followed and been around this team a lot longer than any player has or will be.

It is "our" money as a matter of fact. Brainiac.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FlagstaffDave said:
Oh jeez.

No one held a gun to the Cardinals and forced them to give him the contract. That's the deal they worked out. If you don't like it then to bad.

While you are correct that the fans are not writing the player's paychecks, the amount that they are paid is of concern because of the salary cap. If we are unable to obtain a very good back up to Warner because of his cap hit, then next years play will be effected.

I travel from Las Vegas to enjoy my season tickets, at no small expense, so I do have a concern in the product that is put on the field.

The Shark

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Redrage said:
Opens the door to taking Charlie Whitehurse in rd 3 to be Qb uf the future.

I would not mind getting Charlie Whitehurse in the third round at all. Now that we know Warner is going to be here, maybe he can mentor the young guy and turn him into a good QB.

OP
OP
Redsz

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
FlagstaffDave said:
We?

Most of us care how signing a player will impact this team's ability to be active in FA and retain it's own players. No one is 'whining' here. Just discussing how the contract will impact the team as a whole.

EDIT: Wrong on how the cap is created by revenue. Gone now.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I cannot understand any Cardinals fan bitching about paying too much. If he had walked for the same type of deal there would be all kinds of bitching about the Cards being cheapskates.

2. And, by frontloading the deal, and backloading with incentives, the Cardinals could cut him next year and clear cap space!

Sure, it's a bit of a gamble. But, dammit, I'm tired of our team being so conservative. This was our best option to WIN and make the PLAYOFFS this next year! It's not a perfect option, but's it's our best one.

On the way home, I heard a national annoucer on sporting news, say "The free agency period has officially begun with the Cardinals resigning Kurt Warner. The top free agent QB is now off the market!" We solidified a crucial position without having to pick through a bad batch of free agents or pinning our hopes on a rookie.

Now, will we still get our annual bunch of bitching about the Cardinals not being proactive, aggressive and willing to spend enough to "get it done", if two days into free agency, we haven't signed anyone?

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I never completely believe the numbers that are initially reported after a contract signing. Most of the time the numbers are reported by the player's agent and they always tend to overstate things a bit.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Let us not fight.. Let us celebrate this clear as day sign that the F.O. are going to be big time players in the Free Agent market.

Welcome Back Kurt!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
FYI - The Salary Cap comes out of TV money. Unless you are buying advertising on CBS, FOX, NBC, or ESPN, then you're not paying anyone's salary.

Sorry guys.

OP
OP
Redsz

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Are you sure? I thought it came out of just general revenue?

If that's not the case then I take back some of comments from my above post.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Are you sure? I thought it came out of just general revenue?

If that's not the case then I take back some of comments from my above post.

At least until there's a new revenue-sharing agreement between the owners, the salary cap is based only on TV money. General attendance is shared, but not taken into account on the cap. Luxury suite revenue isn't shared.

That's why the cap's been going up so much in recent years; TV contracts have been re-negotiated.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
FYI - The Salary Cap comes out of TV money. Unless you are buying advertising on CBS, FOX, NBC, or ESPN, then you're not paying anyone's salary.

Sorry guys.

The salary cap is goverened by the TV revenue. Teams that get creative can slip slide around it to the point of needing other revenue streams to help with player salaries. Revenue is revenue whether it comes from the NFL or fans purchasing tickets/apparel/etc. The more revenue a team has, the better players and coaches it can afford.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is to keep buying tickets gentlemen. The Cards finally have a real revenue stream going (beside the TV money) and it looks like they are willing to spend some of it.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Well we overpaid but the bottem line is that the Cardinals realized they had a Marquee player in Kurt Warner that has Worldwide appeal. Going into a new stadium he is the Face they want everyone to see. I just hope he stays healthy and can actually win us games unlike this last season. To do that he is going to have to have a top OLINE and a better running game. And as always the D will have to do better stopping the run. STAY Healthy KURT!!! (Or our season is in the crapper)

seesred

Reaction score
I'm very glad that we got this deal done. Kurt knows the team , has worked well with the wide outs and even understands the o-line which will be improved. The money side appears fair to all and incentive contracts work in the teams favor. The cardinals have shown the NFL that they are ready to do bussines. Now we can focus on other needs and other FA can see that we are getting the deals done.

GBR

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
The salary cap is goverened by the TV revenue. Teams that get creative can slip slide around it to the point of needing other revenue streams to help with player salaries. Revenue is revenue whether it comes from the NFL or fans purchasing tickets/apparel/etc. The more revenue a team has, the better players and coaches it can afford.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is to keep buying tickets gentlemen. The Cards finally have a real revenue stream going (beside the TV money) and it looks like they are willing to spend some of it.

But you can't spend the "revenue" on bonuses or salaries for players except for that money that counts under the cap. Having a lot of revenue helps with being able to actually pay signing bonuses and stuff, and for overpaying for coaches (like Dan Snyder is doing in Washington), but all the money that goes to players is dictated by the salary cap, which--for now--is dictated by TV contracts.

I remember hearing a story a couple years ago that Dick Vermeil promised one of his players an expensive bottle/case of wine from DV's vineyard if he passed some milestone. The NFL got word of it and threatened to take away a draft choice if the "extra bonus" was actually given. Tough luck for the player, but the salary cap is that strict.

daytripper

All Star
Reaction score
IMHO the Cards have never spent to the cap because the revenue stream was weak. Wouldnt it be great to be in cap trouble because we have to many good players to resign?

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
couple things.
Warner will be ok.
Yes - O-line needs improvement, but also tight, quick hit plays can keep defenders off of him.
Extra revenue can go for QUALITY assistant coaches.
Nice - a 40 yr sighting...

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
YEAH BUDDY!!!

That is cause for a celebration!

Good job Cards! So far so good!

That is some good news and I am glad they got this done early. It may help us in landing free agents as well as keeping our present players happy. I would think Warner is highly respected by his teammates. Way to go management. Keep it up.