Warner re-signed.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Faithful said:
Thanks Joe!! So a bonus is counted against the cap over the span of the contract, right? what about that first year's salary, is it also counted? I honestly want to make sure I have this right...example: 3 yr deal, 3 million signed bonus w/1 million per yr salary. The first year's cap hit would be 2 mil?

And I totally don't know how all 7 mil could count against this year.

Again, thanks for your time and your answers. :thumbup:

I'm not joe, but I'll answer.

Last year, Warner signed for two mil in bonus, once he was on the roster for the first game his two mil salary was guaranteed. Bonus is prorated, but salary, even guaranteed, counts only against the year it is paid.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is very good news. The amount of the contract, to me, isn't tremendously relevant because Warner basically ahd the Cards by the cajones. He was their only real option for a starter for next year since Denny elevated Navarre to #2 so it was crucial that the Cards ink Warner and not be forced into the FA shuffle and maybe end up with alot worse.

I am not the biggest Kurt Warner fan mostly for his fragility but signing him was a must...the Cards did it...now I would love to see Navarre get ready because I expect him to have to pull a couple starts next year and I would love for the Cards to grab a young QB in the draft (if a decent one is available to them) to start developing for when Warner rides off into the sunset.

Faithful

Registered
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I'm not joe, but I'll answer.

Last year, Warner signed for two mil in bonus, once he was on the roster for the first game his two mil salary was guaranteed. Bonus is prorated, but salary, even guaranteed, counts only against the year it is paid.

Thanks AJ, I now understand more of the cap than before.

The boardmembers on this site are great!!!

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FlagstaffDave said:
We?

Well gee it's nice that the Cardinals have fans that help support the payroll. You guys need to quit whining about paying to much, it's not your money. For once the Cardinals kept someone they needed to keep, and it's a reasonable contract.

I'm also sure Kurt will try to stay healthy just for you guys. :rolleyes:

hmmmm....

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
All we need now is to get Russell Davis extended and we'll be good on re-signing all our own valuable unrestricted free agents. :thumbup:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
All we need now is to get Russell Davis extended and we'll be good on re-signing all our own valuable unrestricted free agents. :thumbup:

Agreed K9. If we can get some improved depth behind Russell D and some depth at MLB we will be in pretty good shape on D this year. What do you think of Navarre as a backup?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
Agreed K9. If we can get some improved depth behind Russell D and some depth at MLB we will be in pretty good shape on D this year. What do you think of Navarre as a backup?

It's really impossible to tell. It's pretty funny to me that people on this board were really eager to get behind a guy like Preston Parsons based on less information but everyone thinks Navarre's a total washout based on two quarters. The guy was a 7th round pick--and he's still 800X better than Preston Parsons could ever dream of being.

Do I think that Navarre could develop into an adequate NFL starter? Not really. Do I think that he could develop into a guy that's like Dave Brown--who could come into maybe three games a season and not kill a team? Maybe. I think that's kind of what his ceiling is, though.

I wouldn't kill myself if he went into the season as the #2, but I feel like there isn't a team that's going to throw a bushel full of money at Josh McCown, and he might prefer to stay where he is where there's no pressure or scrutiny. I think that there's a 30% chance that McCown could return, and I'd be happier with him as the backup than any other free agent or draftee (this season).

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
It's really impossible to tell. It's pretty funny to me that people on this board were really eager to get behind a guy like Preston Parsons based on less information but everyone thinks Navarre's a total washout based on two quarters. The guy was a 7th round pick--and he's still 800X better than Preston Parsons could ever dream of being.

Do I think that Navarre could develop into an adequate NFL starter? Not really. Do I think that he could develop into a guy that's like Dave Brown--who could come into maybe three games a season and not kill a team? Maybe. I think that's kind of what his ceiling is, though.

I wouldn't kill myself if he went into the season as the #2, but I feel like there isn't a team that's going to throw a bushel full of money at Josh McCown, and he might prefer to stay where he is where there's no pressure or scrutiny. I think that there's a 30% chance that McCown could return, and I'd be happier with him as the backup than any other free agent or draftee (this season).

Yeah me too. He could step in and keep the ship afloat if and when Warner goes down which is more likely when and not if. He is our best bet as backup QB because he knows the offense and has timing with our receivers. If we get a decent running game going this year there should be even less scrutiny and pressure on him. I hope he resigns. You probably don't agree but I think he improved under the tutelage of Warner this year as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
Yeah me too. He could step in and keep the ship afloat if and when Warner goes down which is more likely when and not if. He is our best bet as backup QB because he knows the offense and has timing with our receivers. If we get a decent running game going this year there should be even less scrutiny and pressure on him. I hope he resigns. You probably don't agree but I think he improved under the tutelage of Warner this year as well.

I agree with almost everything except for this. I think that Josh is Josh (like Jake was Jake), and he's not going to get significantly better than what we saw this season unless his responsiblities in an offense get drastically reduced (as they were for Jake in Denver).

Josh never showed "timing with our receivers" and it always seemed to me like the playbook was reduced when Josh McCown was in the lineup. Josh couldn't connect with anyone on deep patters, which are all about timing and knowing where your guy is going to be at a certain time. He doesn't really have leadership ability (no one seems to listen to him), either.

Josh will make a great backup for somebody, and I hope it's the Cardinals. I was surprised to discover that 43% of Josh's incompletions were attributable to poor throws. That's a greater percentage than Michael Vick (42.2), Kyle Boller (41.8') or J.P. Losman (36.5).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
nidan said:
Stout, since RG took over we have slowly but surely getting far more creative in our contracts

I very much agree, but this year we need to jump from slow and steady to completely and utterly modern and efficient in every way, shape, and form...immediately. We MUST be successful in this offseason, and we MUST maximize that success. Last year we could have and should have done more, but we weren't quite creative enough to do so (entering the season with, what, 10+mill in cap space?). We've been told that won't happen when we have the new stadium. Well, we'll have the stadium...will we see the changes?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
This post will bring out cries of heresy from the draft Vince Young crowd.

Signing Warner is a sure indication that we will not be drafting him or Cutler in round 1.....even if he falls to #10. I'll go so far as to say, we won't draft a QB on day1 whatsoever.

We might look at a 1st rounder next year however.......for succession planning purposes, especially in that we should hopefully not have a pick in the upper two thirds of round 1 in '07. Next year is a strong QB class.

Gotta love our timing on players of need/BPA in the draft over the last few years.......we picked the best of the WR crop in Fitzgerald in '04 (which was an alltime stellar group) and we picked the cream of the crop last year at CB in another strong class of CB's.

Who is our pick in '06.....my guess it will be Ngata if he falls to #10 (stranger things have happened) or we will use it on an athletic DB.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, because we may not indeed be looking for a 1st day QB, but you're reasoning is far, far off. Warner's deal is cap-friendly for getting rid of him after the first season. It's a 3-year deal. Would you rather pray and hope that only 1 season will be enough to groom a successor, or none if Warner is finished after this year, or would you like to hedge your bet and give a new QB a chance to be groomed? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that your reasoning is incorrect.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

Hey!

I was a part of the Parsons fan club...

He should have been given a chance to at least play in the first half of a preseason game.

;)

:raccoon:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Congrats Rod Graves!!!

Three solid deals in row with Anquan, Rackers and now Kurt.

As Denny Green said last off season, it's important to get wins in free agency and the draft. let's hope we have better luck with staying healthy next season.

Now Kurt, Q, and Fitz can lobby any free agents that visit and convince them the desert is the place to be :D

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FlagstaffDave said:
We?

Well gee it's nice that the Cardinals have fans that help support the payroll. You guys need to quit whining about paying to much, it's not your money. For once the Cardinals kept someone they needed to keep, and it's a reasonable contract.

I'm also sure Kurt will try to stay healthy just for you guys. :rolleyes:

You go, boy.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like the deal, how it is structured and even the price. We had no bargaining room and it shows, but we signed arguably the best QB on the free agent market who happens to already know the offense and has chemistry with our wide receivers. We overpaid, but that happens in a weak market which is what the QB market is these days. It is the same reason teams draft QB's higher than their ability warrants, Qb's are at a premium. Alex Smith, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, David Carr, and probably Jay Culter and Vince YOung are proof that teams will reach for QB's because they can't afford not to have them. Honestly Aaron Rodgers probably is the only QB in the last three years to go where he should have in the draft.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Totally_Red said:
Three solid deals in row with Anquan, Rackers and now Kurt.

As Denny Green said last off season, it's important to get wins in free agency and the draft. let's hope we have better luck with staying healthy next season.

Now Kurt, Q, and Fitz can lobby any free agents that visit and convince them the desert is the place to be :D

Don't forget A. Wilson too. I like they way we are doing business these days.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Now, if we sign a Rb like James or Lewis, a couple of lineman, say Bentley and Metcalf, maybe the best Dt and FS we can find, then we are set to make a serious run deep into the play-offs. Now if they do all that, could it be possible to draft KW's replacement this year by drafting Cutler, Whitehurst, Jacobs, or ?????????????

DKCards

Reaction score
Stout said:
Dare I do it...dare I do it? Dare I take the paper bag OFF of the Cardinal???
Wait until March 5th That is the day they will sign ............

#$^&#$%^#~~~$%$^

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

).

but that's because most of us never saw parsons play in college so we could imagine he was a steal. I'd wager 95% of us saw Navarre at michigan, if only in bowl games, so we all had a much better idea what he was like.

seesred

Reaction score
Imacafan I think you may be on to something. I wouldn't mind going QB in the first if the RB ande O-line is takin care of by draft day....

GBR

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tying incentive money to the team success is the most improtant item about this contract. I don't believe Warner would have agreed to this unless he was told what we intend to do about the running game. Must have made sense to Warner. Can't wait for FA.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One extra good thing about re-signing Warner..... no more Culpepper rumors