Warner re-signed.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Let me go on record as saying the following: I have no bloody idea if Navarre is any good, whether he's horrible, whether he has any potential, etc. etc.......and truthfully, I can't see how anyone else can.

If you can make this distinction based on BRIEF (a total of two quarters in two games over the last two years) appearances, then you should change whatever your profession is and apply for a job as a QB coach with an NFL team, because it appears you know more than Dennis Green does.

I'm not trying to single you out.......I'm just fed up with how people make these kind of judgments with so little to go on.

I do not think any of us have seen enough of Navarre to make any credible judgments. We have seen him for a couple of quarters and that is it. Only the coaches have a real clue. If he is really bad they would just cut him I would think.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good sign. For two reasons: It's a good signing and a good sign of things to come.

I know everyone complains about him not going to be healthy, but name me one QB that would have not been knocked from that knee injury. He was lucky he didn't tear anything.

As for the groin, look at how many non contact injuries there are in the NFL. His hand injuries came from the constant battering from D lineman because of poor O-lines. And don't tell me that a more mobile QB would be better. Look at Culpepper or even Vick who is constantly injured.

Some players are just more lucky than others that they haven't been injured badly. It's an amazement guys like Favre and Elway lasted as long as they did.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rats said:
Well we overpaid but the bottem line is that the Cardinals realized they had a Marquee player in Kurt Warner that has Worldwide appeal. Going into a new stadium he is the Face they want everyone to see. I just hope he stays healthy and can actually win us games unlike this last season. To do that he is going to have to have a top OLINE and a better running game. And as always the D will have to do better stopping the run. STAY Healthy KURT!!! (Or our season is in the crapper)

Whether we overpaid or not will be determined after the season is over. It could be we got a steal.
The fat lady has not even come on the stage yet.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
2. And, by frontloading the deal, and backloading with incentives, the Cardinals could cut him next year and clear cap space!

You are correct and hit it right on the head.

And if he does reach those incentives it will be worth it anyways.

Also what some may need to realize. the CBA "may" get done soon if rumors are correct from another thread. So the cap space will go up A LOT. And if not this year then next. Which in turn wil make this contract go from looking like to much to just plain old average. I think we are going to have to start to get used to seeing bigger contracts for players who we dont think deserve that much, and gigantic contracts for those who do deserve them, at least compared to contracts of the past that is.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
You are correct and hit it right on the head.

And if he does reach those incentives it will be worth it anyways.

Also what some may need to realize. the CBA "may" get done soon if rumors are correct from another thread. So the cap space will go up A LOT. And if not this year then next. Which in turn wil make this contract go from looking like to much to just plain old average. I think we are going to have to start to get used to seeing bigger contracts for players who we dont think deserve that much, and gigantic contracts for those who do deserve them, at least compared to contracts of the past that is.

Back in the days of Plummer's deal, the cap was in the 60's. Now, it's for sure going to be in the 90's at least. It's really not that much of a cap space eater.

Besides, I'd like to point out, again, that Davis' deal is just begging to be restructed to clear cap space. That could easily absorb Kurt getting 7 mil instead of 5mil this season.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Besides, I'd like to point out, again, that Davis' deal is just begging to be restructed to clear cap space. That could easily absorb Kurt getting 7 mil instead of 5mil this season.

Concerning the L. Davis deal. I think it is going to get done sometime in training camp or preseason. I think we spend close to the cap limit, then use the money saved from the Davis extension for our usual injury and mid season extension funds which should be about maybe 4 mill. That is just my speculation based on what managament has done in the past along with a few news things they seem to be leaning towards.

Also look for the anouncements of who is going to be tendered with an RFA tender and for how much very soon, along with any other EFA's that may be left. I also think we will see something about a Russel Davis deal in sometime next week. those are the only key issues concerning our own team. Which will give management a full week to concentrate fully on an outside FA giving us the ability to come out with fully loaded guns ablazing come March 3rd, when all other teams are worrying about their own FA's at the same time.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Warner signing is such a good sign. To me, a long time complainer about how the cap is managed, it says "The Cards are serious about winning in 2006".

How nice to start the FA period beliving that the Cards are actually spending to win for a change.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I remember hearing a story a couple years ago that Dick Vermeil promised one of his players an expensive bottle/case of wine from DV's vineyard if he passed some milestone. The NFL got word of it and threatened to take away a draft choice if the "extra bonus" was actually given. Tough luck for the player, but the salary cap is that strict.

Didn't Lomas Brown have some issue where his valet company was contracted (or promised in his contract with the Browns) to work the valet for the stadium and the league said that was a value to him and either had to be removed or counted towards his dollar value of his cap hit since he would be receiving monetary benefit from the agreement??

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
daytripper said:
IMHO the Cards have never spent to the cap because the revenue stream was weak. Wouldnt it be great to be in cap trouble because we have to many good players to resign?

This is untrue from the start. They do usually spend their cap money

What we haven't done hsitoricly until RG took over as 'GM' is borrow money from future years. The reason for that is the Card's coudln't afford the large signing bonuses.

That takes real cash not cap money. It's like putting a downpayment o a house. Sure you can afford the payments but you have to come up with an itiail wad of cash.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
nidan said:
This is untrue from the start. They do usually spend their cap money

What we haven't done hsitoricly until RG took over as 'GM' is borrow money from future years. The reason for that is the Card's coudln't afford the large signing bonuses.

That takes real cash not cap money. It's like putting a downpayment o a house. Sure you can afford the payments but you have to come up with an itiail wad of cash.

Exactly. And this year we'll see if the front office is actually going to put that wad of cash where their mouth is, or whether they've just been paying lip service. If we continue to offer simple contracts where most of the money is done away with in year one, therefore limiting our spending ability throughout free agency, we'll know it hasn't changed. If we get more and more creative, and construct contracts that will maximize the cap this year while still keeping us from going into a strict 'cap hell' in years to come, we'll know our front office has 'arrived', per se.

spanky1

Reaction score
daytripper said:
IMHO the Cards have never spent to the cap because the revenue stream was weak. Wouldnt it be great to be in cap trouble because we have to many good players to resign?

If a team is in cap trouble, it is because of mismanagement....pure and simple. And that is never a good thing.

I would guess from this comment you are a fan of trillion dollar deficits.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Great signing and it's exactly what I thought we would spend on him. I think we will bring in a couple offensive linemen and maybe a runningback and the offense will be set.

Tony W

Ride it like u stole it!!!!!!!
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Let me go on record as saying the following: I have no bloody idea if Navarre is any good, whether he's horrible, whether he has any potential, etc. etc.......and truthfully, I can't see how anyone else can.

If you can make this distinction based on BRIEF (a total of two quarters in two games over the last two years) appearances, then you should change whatever your profession is and apply for a job as a QB coach with an NFL team, because it appears you know more than Dennis Green does.

I'm not trying to single you out.......I'm just fed up with how people make these kind of judgements with so little to go on.

I Concur spank, I've never seen the kid play a complete game, Heck he played a Michigan, so he can't be that Horrid at the position.........can he?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very pleased that Warner is signed. He is a class act and as many have stated will be the poster guy for the new stadium. His positive image on the Cards and Arizona will also be a plus on recuiting free agents.

I wonder if any of his contract includes a signing bonus?? It doesn't appear to but we really don't know the details. If so it would be pro-rated over the 3years and take less of a hit against this year's cap.

spanky1

Reaction score
This post will bring out cries of heresy from the draft Vince Young crowd.

Signing Warner is a sure indication that we will not be drafting him or Cutler in round 1.....even if he falls to #10. I'll go so far as to say, we won't draft a QB on day1 whatsoever.

We might look at a 1st rounder next year however.......for succession planning purposes, especially in that we should hopefully not have a pick in the upper two thirds of round 1 in '07. Next year is a strong QB class.

Gotta love our timing on players of need/BPA in the draft over the last few years.......we picked the best of the WR crop in Fitzgerald in '04 (which was an alltime stellar group) and we picked the cream of the crop last year at CB in another strong class of CB's.

Who is our pick in '06.....my guess it will be Ngata if he falls to #10 (stranger things have happened) or we will use it on an athletic DB.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's nice that we did it very early!
Getting Warner (and also Tate) signed early should not be underrated.

I think that many draft day mistakes are made when teams enter the draft uncertain about certain roster positions and tempted to reach for the wrong players at the wrong levels.

Last year, we were taught the lesson that you can never have too many backup corners. After at least a couple of decades where we were nervous about one of our two starters even being on the field, Tate had to come in off the street, step up and start. Yet I know I never felt nervous that he'd embarrass us when he was out there opposite Macklin. So here too, he removes a tiny bit of uncertainty from the CB position.

The re-signing of KW means that we can focus on (a) bringing in a backup QB who can step in and win without missing a beat and (b) adding a QBOF. (i.e. McCown is 85% likely to be gone and I have doubts that Navarre down the road will even stick as a backup).

His early signing should, therefore, clarify what we still need to do at QB.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout, since RG took over we have slowly but surely getting far more creative in our contracts

Faithful

Registered
Reaction score
Cap question

az jam said:
Very pleased that Warner is signed. He is a class act and as many have stated will be the poster guy for the new stadium. His positive image on the Cards and Arizona will also be a plus on recuiting free agents.

I wonder if any of his contract includes a signing bonus?? It doesn't appear to but we really don't know the details. If so it would be pro-rated over the 3years and take less of a hit against this year's cap.

I learn alot from you guys and I have what may be a dumb question to some of you. If no signing bonus, is the cap hit for this year his 7 mil salary? If there is a signing bonus, does only the bonus go against our cap? Also since we were under the cap last year is that 'additional spending money' for 2006?

Thanks guys for keeping me an informed fan!!

GO CARDINALS!!! :newcards:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Faithful said:
I learn alot from you guys and I have what may be a dumb question to some of you. If no signing bonus, is the cap hit for this year his 7 mil salary? If there is a signing bonus, does only the bonus go against our cap? Also since we were under the cap last year is that 'additional spending money' for 2006?

First you cannot roll over unused cap space from a previous year. Second we didnt have any extra money from the previous year in the first place. We spent it all on Rackers Extension mid season.

Any bonus(prorated) and the base salary counts against the cap.

The reports say his cap hit this year will be 7 Mill., that includes his base and bonus. Not sure what the ratio is of the 2 yet.

spanky1

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
First you cannot roll over unused cap space from a previous year. Second we didnt have any extra money from the previous year in the first place. We spent it all on Rackers Extension mid season.

The reports say his cap hit this year will be 7 Mill., that includes his base and bonus. Not sure what the ratio is of the 2 yet.

As well as incentives realized, but not yet booked.

Faithful

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Thanks Joe!! So a bonus is counted against the cap over the span of the contract, right? what about that first year's salary, is it also counted? I honestly want to make sure I have this right...example: 3 yr deal, 3 million signed bonus w/1 million per yr salary. The first year's cap hit would be 2 mil?

And I totally don't know how all 7 mil could count against this year.

Again, thanks for your time and your answers. :thumbup:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely huge signing!

It was so important to get this done before the FA period started. Going into FA without a starting QB would have changed everything. Now we can concentrate on our other pressing needs like the O-Line.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
I'm throwing a :thumbup: in there too. Now we just gotta fix the O-line and this offense will be very good.

Go :newcards: