Warner Signs!!!!!!!!!

LACardsJoe

Reaction score
11.5 Million a year is right on IMO. Kurt wanted 14.5 to 16 million. I say good job lets go back to the SB.

Yes, I am sick to death of Warner threads, he's signed now, he deserved what he got, I'm happy too, let's move on to the other business at hand. But, I guess today will be a Warner day regarding the terms and money, what else can one expect after 2 weeks of the same stuff!

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/03/04/20090304warnerdeal-CR.html

The contract includes a $15 million signing bonus and salaries of $4 million in each year, giving Warner $19 million in the first year of the deal, according to his agent, Mark Bartelstein.

“That was a critical element,” said Bartelstein of the guaranteed money. He credited Cardinals team president Michael Bidwill, general manager Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt for making the deal happen.
“They listened to our concerns and addressed them,” he said. “Sometimes, it’s not easy to change a stance.”
Negotiations took longer than either side expected, but the contract should carry Warner through to the end of his career.
The Cardinals were offering a two-year deal worth $20 million, $10 million of which was guaranteed.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
11.5 Million a year is right on IMO. Kurt wanted 14.5 to 16 million. I say good job lets go back to the SB.
it sounds like he's getting 19 mill this year :sad:. Is his cap hit 19mill ? :(

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they upped that guaranteed money to put it all on the first year?

I mean, they wanted a clean second year, and Warner wanted money guaranteed that year for security. The total guarantee went up, which could point to them getting their clean (or cleanish) second year and giving him a boatload of cash in the first year.

Thank the Lord this is done.

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
Kurt will retire next year now he has 19 mill in his pocket, just hope we have one more good year out of him then none of us will remember all the drama

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/03/04/20090304warnerdeal-CR.html

The contract includes a $15 million signing bonus and salaries of $4 million in each year, giving Warner $19 million in the first year of the deal, according to his agent, Mark Bartelstein.

“That was a critical element,” said Bartelstein of the guaranteed money. He credited Cardinals team president Michael Bidwill, general manager Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt for making the deal happen.
“They listened to our concerns and addressed them,” he said. “Sometimes, it’s not easy to change a stance.”
Negotiations took longer than either side expected, but the contract should carry Warner through to the end of his career.
The Cardinals were offering a two-year deal worth $20 million, $10 million of which was guaranteed.

So Joe, based on this is the cap hit in 2009 $11 million?

:shrug:

LACardsJoe

Reaction score
Kurt will retire next year now he has 19 mill in his pocket, just hope we have one more good year out of him then none of us will remember all the drama

I think that hinges upon this year. If we get back to the playoffs and he's playing at a Pro-Bowl level, he'll be back. If he has a 2002-2003 type Rams year, with booing, inefficiencies, and the like, he'll take his 19 million and run. Let's hope, now that he is the QB of the foreseeable future, he stays put for 2 more years with at least one Superbowl victory!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

If he retires we can take him to arbitration for the remaninder of his bonus paid back to us. 9 times out of 10 the team usually wins in this case.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys dont go bonkers over this 19 mill gauranteed info. They are counting the first years base salary as already in his pockett. 15 mill signing bonus(which is the real true gauranteed amount) + 5 mill in base salary = 19 Mill. he will pockett the first season.

Thats if those amounts are real. The media and especially agents like to play very loosely with the word "gauranteed". It makes me made becuase what they say is gauranteed is not actually gauranteed but it sounds good to possible future players for the agent to try and sign.

It breaks down like this in its simplest form. If he can still play at a high level in year two this contract is perfect. If he cant play in year 2 we have 7.5 mill in dead cap space in 2010.

Isn't 2010 most likely going to be an uncapped year?

JTS

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Guys dont go bonkers over this 19 mill gauranteed info. They are counting the first years base salary as already in his pockett. 15 mill signing bonus(which is the real true gauranteed amount) + 5 mill in base salary = 19 Mill. he will pockett the first season.

Thats if those amounts are real. The media and especially agents like to play very loosely with the word "gauranteed". It makes me made becuase what they say is gauranteed is not actually gauranteed but it sounds good to possible future players for the agent to try and sign.

With the cap, and contracts.....in joeschmo I trust.

And unless I am mistaken, some of that money can be used to extend Boldin's current deal.

I wonder if they upped that guaranteed money to put it all on the first year?

The total guarantee went up, which could point to them getting their clean (or cleanish) second year and giving him a boatload of cash in the first year.

That would make sense since the Cardinals don't seem to be spending too much money this year.

I am happy the deal is done, and happy to have Warner back on the Cardinals. With Dansby not going anywhere and Warner signed we are in pretty good shape.

These were the two guys I said at the beginning of the offseason the Cardinals NEEDED to sign.

Now let's extend Adrian Wilson.

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So Joe, based on this is the cap hit in 2009 $11 million?

:shrug:

Someone may know but I always thought signing bonuses where spread out over the length of the deal for cap hit. If so it would be 7.5 million 2009 and 2010 and 4 million base so 11.5 cap hit in 2009 and 2010. But that is just what I "Think"

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Sounds like a cap hit of 11.5M. 4M (salary) + 15M/2 = 4M + 7.5M. joeshmo will straighten it out.

Correct. 11.5 for both seasons.

Also the Cards only caved in the extra 3 mill(when they went from 20 to 23 on Monday). The Cards offered that extra 3 mill in incentives, where as this changes the incentives into a bonus instead. Not that big of a cave.

LACardsJoe

Reaction score
Someone may know but I always thought signing bonuses where spread out over the length of the deal for cap hit. If so it would be 7.5 million 2009 and 2010 and 4 million base so 11.5 cap hit in 2009 and 2010. But that is just what I "Think"

On the money Saxon.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same old cheap Cardinals, huh?

As I have always stated, I don't care how much billionaire owners pay millionaire players. I support the move because it's now clear Whisenhunt wanted Warner over Leinart to start for 2009 and maybe 2010.

Leinart's future as a Cardinal is now in doubt. Whisenhunt inherited him and was not invested in choosing him.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
And unless I am mistaken, some of that money can be used to extend Boldin's current deal.

No it cant. Is not allowed in the current CBA agreement. But they could have a hand shake deal where Warner will "restructure" his 2010 salary from 4 mill to 2 mill if they ever get a deal done with Boldin. But hand shake deals are dicey in their execution or if they ever get executed.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

As I have always stated, I don't care how much billionaire owners pay millionaire players. I support the move because it's now clear Whisenhunt wanted Warner over Leinart to start for 2009 and maybe 2010.

Leinart's future as a Cardinal is now in doubt. Whisenhunt inherited him and was not invested in choosing him.

Yup!

:thumbup:

zuchini

Rookie
Reaction score

Double yup!!

i'm sure glad Warner is coming back.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man, Kurt better put up a hell of a season next year. He's played the last couple years as the disrespected underdog, but that all changes with this contract.

I'm glad the deal's done. I still think it's too much money, but I'm glad it's done. Time to move on and add some new pieces.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score

I'm not sure that the Cards could get much for Leinart on the open market. He has potential no doubt but, so far, unable to hang onto the starting slot. IMO, he just doesn't seem to have that aggressiveness/passion you like to see in your starting QB

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's really a signing bonus and not a roster bonus -or- really a two year deal and not a one year with a team option for the second, I don't understand what the negotiations were about. They ended up giving MORE than Warner had asked for in the latest "offer" from his agent. I'm interested in the particulars of the deal. I find it odd that they took all that negotiating time last night to get more money in warner's pocket than what he was asking for.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Worth every penny. Ever since the Ravens game when he came in for Leinart to run the "no-huddle" offense, I knew Warner was our man.

Fruedian slip

Last edited: