Warner To Start Against Seattle

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
McCown back to the bench

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 2, 2005

Kurt Warner will start at quarterback for the Cardinals on Sunday, returning Josh McCown to the backup role in which he started the season.

The Cardinals’ only wins, against San Francisco and Tennessee, came with McCown as the starter. He replaced Warner after Warner suffered a torn groin muscle in Week 3 at Seattle, the Cardinals’ opponent this week at Sun Devil Stadium.

McCown threw for 787.yards in his first two starts of the season, a Cardinals record for consecutive games, and also led the Cardinals to their 20-10 win over Tennessee on Oct. 23, which had been Warner’s projected return date.

Although Warner practiced and said he felt healthy the week before the Titans game, coach Dennis Green kept his starter a secret from everyone but his team until just before the game and elected to go with McCown.

Green also named McCown the starter for the next week at Dallas, saying McCown’s mobility gave the Cardinals the best chance against the Cowboys’ pass rush.

McCown was sacked three times Sunday, and the Cardinals struggled to move the ball, netting 213 yards of offense.

Warner, signed in the off-season to be the team’s No. 1 quarterback, completed 63.4 percent of his attempts in the first three games and threw one touchdown and two interceptions.

The Cardinals (2-5) trailed Seattle 10-6 when Warner was hurt in the second quarter Sept..25. They went on to lose 37-12.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This shouldnt be that much of a surprise. We are paying him 4 mil a year. I actually hope that we go winless the rest of the year, after having so much hope. We need a Leinart/Bush/Furguson type player this draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I can't complain, I would have stayed with Josh a bit longer because I think we need to see him against good teams like Seattle to judge his long term potential. But it's clear that Green is searching for a spark on offense.

Let's see if Warner can last the full game this time around, hope he's really healthy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump start the offense(if Boldin can play) but I can't shake the feeling that he'll get hurt again.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Good. Josh ain't it. He showed a spark, but the spark was short-lived. He's been in the league too long to get chance after chance after chance after bloody chance.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Good. Josh ain't it. He showed a spark, but the spark was short-lived. He's been in the league too long to get chance after chance after chance after bloody chance.

I am not suprised Kurt is the starter, but I think Josh will be a #2 somewhere else next year. With the state of NFL QBs these days, he will be in the league for a while.

A-Bomb

seesred

Reaction score
I'm a Josh supporter and I'm happy that we made the change. The team needs a spark. Warner is still a great leader and showed signs in the games he played with the exception of 1 play that would have won us a game early.

GBR

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stout said:

Yeah because Kurt sure hasn't had his chances :rolleyes: ...

coyotesareback

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lets just hope if Kurt comes out he his healthy and stays that way. Behind this line I have serious concerns if he can even make it through a game.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wonder what Warner did to make Green mad this week. :shrug:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:
Lets just hope if Kurt comes out he his healthy and stays that way. Behind this line I have serious concerns if he can even make it through a game.
Me too. If healthy and somewhat protected I think that he is a better option than Josh.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
So... what will be the excuse next week when we lose 30-13??

Is Warner going to magically make our line better at run blocking? Will Warner be playing MLB and actually making a tackle on a running back?

We can't run and we can't stop the run. Searching for excuses isn't a problem when the reasons for losses are obvious.

The Shark

coyotesareback

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah agreed shark but I think he is referring to all the Josh bashers that will not bash Kurt for probally having the same kind of game if not worse. Will they bash Kurt? Probally not just find something else to blame it on...neverending debate

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
clif said:
Yeah because Kurt sure hasn't had his chances :rolleyes: ...

Lets see...

Kurt NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP.

Josh...beat Minny to screw us out of drafting Manning.

I am pretty sure Kurt has done more with his chances... :sarcasm:

I would have been extremely happy if either one of these guys was the answer at QB for the next 2-3 years...but they are not
:soapbox:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
Is Warner going to magically make our line better at run blocking? Will Warner be playing MLB and actually making a tackle on a running back?

We can't run and we can't stop the run. Searching for excuses isn't a problem when the reasons for losses are obvious.

The Shark

That's my point. It will be interesting to see what excuses will be made for Kurt that were not made for Josh. Next week this time... I guarantee there won't be a thread titled "Kurt had his chance ... start ________"

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
Lets see...

Kurt NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP.

I am pretty sure Kurt has done more with his chances... :sarcasm:

I would have been extremely happy if either one of these guys was the answer at QB for the next 2-3 years...but they are not
:soapbox:
What have you done for me lately..... since we can't use the arguement of past success for DG's resume ... we can't use it for Kurt...

I personally can't wait until the offseason so we can be rid of both QB's (hopefully) and more importantly we can fix some of the other problems with this team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
That's my point. It will be interesting to see what excuses will be made for Kurt that were not made for Josh. Next week this time... I guarantee there won't be a thread titled "Kurt had his chance ... start ________"

Disagree when Kurt was starting there were people saying Josh should, and when Josh was starting there were people saying Josh should continue starting.

I have no doubt Kurt is a better QB than Josh is, the problem is he has no future and that injury untouched against Seattle just convinced me he has very little present. I don't think he can last the last 9 games without getting hurt again, behind any OL, especially not this one.

But I do think he'll see things Josh doesn't see and probably never will see, the problem is Warner is just too far gone physically to take this team anywhere.

Wouldn't shock me to see him pull off a win Sunday(if Boldin plays), but it also wouldn't shock me to see him fumble 5 times and have to limp off the field again.

how's that for non committal? :D

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
I support this move and I want Kurt to do well but that crap is just what it is - crap. Get over it. We could have had Big Ben, we passed. Highest QB rating in the NFL. We passed.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Disagree when Kurt was starting there were people saying Josh should, and when Josh was starting there were people saying Josh should continue starting.

I have no doubt Kurt is a better QB than Josh is, the problem is he has no future and that injury untouched against Seattle just convinced me he has very little present. I don't think he can last the last 9 games without getting hurt again, behind any OL, especially not this one.

But I do think he'll see things Josh doesn't see and probably never will see, the problem is Warner is just too far gone physically to take this team anywhere.

Wouldn't shock me to see him pull off a win Sunday(if Boldin plays), but it also wouldn't shock me to see him fumble 5 times and have to limp off the field again.

how's that for non committal? :D

That is more my line of thinking. I want some damn consistency at the QB position. I am tired of the QB carousel. Start someone and let them play it out. Of course I would prefer that to be Josh because he has the potential to be here for the long haul and it is IMO important to see if the kid can rebound and right the ship. We aren't going to the playoffs, so playing Warner is futile