Warner To Start Against Seattle

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:
Yeah agreed shark but I think he is referring to all the Josh bashers that will not bash Kurt for probally having the same kind of game if not worse. Will they bash Kurt? Probally not just find something else to blame it on...neverending debate

My stance on the Josh vs. Warner debate is that they are both are wrong for the team, but that neither are the root cause of the problems we currently have.

The root of our problem is Kelly Stouffer. Because he was such a disaster, the Cardinal ownership has refused to draft a QB in the first round for close to 16 years. While we avoided the pain of a Ryan Leaf, we have missed out on the talents of a Leftwich or Rivers.

The Shark

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No surprise but without Boldin can't see us scoring many points regarless of who the qb is.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Disagree when Kurt was starting there were people saying Josh should, and when Josh was starting there were people saying Josh should continue starting.

I have no doubt Kurt is a better QB than Josh is, the problem is he has no future and that injury untouched against Seattle just convinced me he has very little present. I don't think he can last the last 9 games without getting hurt again, behind any OL, especially not this one.

But I do think he'll see things Josh doesn't see and probably never will see, the problem is Warner is just too far gone physically to take this team anywhere.

Wouldn't shock me to see him pull off a win Sunday(if Boldin plays), but it also wouldn't shock me to see him fumble 5 times and have to limp off the field again.

how's that for non committal? :D

Where's Dr. Frankenstein when you need him? Too bad we can't put Kurt's brain in Josh's head...

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I think this is a good move as we have two road games after this week. If we can win against Seattle and have continuity at the Qb position it is the best thing. Josh hasn't got it done the last two weeks. I have doubts that the Oline will block any better but lets wait and see. Hopefully things will work out and we win or this is going to be a real mess. Kurt is a quality starter if he has weapons and an Oline to throw behind he can help us win. I feel the same about Josh. Lets see what happens...it is the right move to try and get a spark against a tough team.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:
Lets just hope if Kurt comes out he his healthy and stays that way. Behind this line I have serious concerns if he can even make it through a game.

Why because of the no hit injury he got? He survived behind a WORSE oline the first 3 weeks without getting injured on a hit.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
SunCityCarl said:
McCown back to the bench

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 2, 2005

McCown...also led the Cardinals to their 20-10 win over Tennessee on Oct. 23.

Carl:

I'm disappointed in Somers and/or his editor for not catching the blatant error quoted above. This sentence should read:

"McCown... also took snaps from center in the Cardinals' 20-10 win over Tennessee on Oct.23, during which his own play was mediocre at best."

Josh McCown didn't lead his team to anything in that game. And now that the Cards are 1-2 in McCown's last three starts, maybe we can finally put the "he's a winner" thing to bed.

If Kurt Warner can run the offense for four quarters on Sunday the way he did the first half in Seattle, and the defense can somehow keep Shaun Alexander in check, the Cards have a chance to pull off their biggest win of the season. Cross your fingers.

WC

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rats said:
I think this is a good move as we have two road games after this week. If we can win against Seattle and have continuity at the Qb position it is the best thing. Josh hasn't got it done the last two weeks. I have doubts that the Oline will block any better but lets wait and see. Hopefully things will work out and we win or this is going to be a real mess. Kurt is a quality starter if he has weapons and an Oline to throw behind he can help us win. I feel the same about Josh. Lets see what happens...it is the right move to try and get a spark against a tough team.

This will make it 4-3 Kurt right Rats? Going to be a close race. lol

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Yup Kurt has. And won superbowls with those chance. Although that pales in comparison to josh McCown's career.

6 years 3 teams multiple injuries later you still want to talk about that Superbowl win?

Look Kurt WAS a good QB, but we need someone to lead this team not only for this year, but years to come.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
we need someone to lead this team not only for this year, but years to come.
I agree. But that guy is not on this year's roster.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
clif said:
Of course I would prefer that to be Josh because he has the potential to be here for the long haul and it is IMO important to see if the kid can rebound and right the ship.

Hehas had his chance to right the shipp and he failed. Not just this year but last year as well. You people amaze me. You act as if Josh has had zero chances. Has it ever occurred to you that he would be starting if he showed some consitency? If he showed that he can actually read a defense?

Hell if he was as good as some of you think he is some other team would have come in and signed him away from the RFA contract he received this off season.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
abomb said:
I am not suprised Kurt is the starter, but I think Josh will be a #2 somewhere else next year. With the state of NFL QBs these days, he will be in the league for a while.

A-Bomb

Oh, I agree he'll be a backup somewhere in the league next year. I'm just tired of all the chances he gets to be the starter. He's shown he doesn't have it, really, to be a full-time starter. Enough is enough.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Stout said:
Oh, I agree he'll be a backup somewhere in the league next year. I'm just tired of all the chances he gets to be the starter. He's shown he doesn't have it, really, to be a full-time starter. Enough is enough.

YEA! Damn you Warner for getting injured! :shakesfist:

;)

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:

Best laugh I've had all week!

Seriously, given equal protection I think Kurt gives us a better chance to win. We will lose out on a few plays where McCown's legs would have saved the play. We will win out on a few plays where Kurt makes a wise throwing decision. Also, Kurt showed better chemistry with Johnson in the preseason, and he's had a chance to see that you can throw it up and trust Fitz to make (or break up) the play, even against triple coverage. Advantage: Warner.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The unanswered question, I think, is does this change REALLY make a difference in the end product?

No. Denny will just have a death on his hands when SEA kills Kurt and McCown will come off the bench, look like crap and a thread will be started touting the concept of starting Navarre to "see what he has".

Sadly, this is a non-issue to the team winning because I fear this will make absoultely no difference.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best news I've heard all week.

:thumbup:

Only one thing I want to see from Kurt....throw the ball in the Red Zone!!!!

And all you thinking he's going to get killed...uhm, the WORST oline blocking of the season happened in the first two games and he survived that. You don't have to run like a brainless jackalope in order to evade the rush. Statues like Drew Bledsoe, Payton Manning and Dan Marino have done pretty well despite their inability to run a 9.4 40. Stepping up into the pocket to evade the rush and find an open receiver is something that Josh just can't do.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

And all you thinking he's going to get killed...uhm, the WORST oline blocking of the season happened in the first two games and he survived that. You don't have to run like a brainless jackalope in order to evade the rush. Statues like Drew Bledsoe, Payton Manning and Dan Marino have done pretty well despite their inability to run a 9.4 40. Stepping up into the pocket to evade the rush and find an open receiver is something that Josh just can't do.

The problem isn't he is statuesque in the pocket but Kurt hasn't proven the last couple years he isn't as durable as you would like him to be. Josh, for all his shortcomings, has at least shown he can take hits without bones crumbling and I worry that Kurt will get beaten around and get hurt again and then the Cards are back to McCown and Navarre. Maybe he won't but recent history shows it is likely Kurt will not last out the rest of this season.

For the actual QB change, I am not surprised nor do I really care who starts at QB any longer. I don't think it will matter enough to turn this season around.

Are people going to be pissed at Kurt if he leads the Cards to 2-3 more wins and pushes the Cards away from Reggie Bush or Leinart...as mad as some were at Josh for beating MIN?

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Pariah said:
McCown is a very good backup. I'd like to keep him around as such.

Pariah:

Kurt Warner's the player you want as your backup QB. Great attitude, coach on the sidelines, fresh arm when he has to go in, and experienced enough to be a quick study in limited reps with the first string. And while he may not have been content with that role in New York in 2004, he may have a different mindset in 2006. No one plays forever, and only the elite QBs are good enough to remain starters until the day they hang it up.

You couldn't ask for a better guy to play Jon Kitna to whoever the Cardinals draft as their version of Carson Palmer. I just hope that the Cards front office can make it happen.

WC

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

There is NO POCKET to step up to with the present day CARDS!

I'm certainly not oppossed to bringing KURT back, again. But, if he has to take some of the hits that Josh did in the last few weeks, he'll be on IR in short order.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
That is more my line of thinking. I want some damn consistency at the QB position. I am tired of the QB carousel.

This is an awesome stance. I too would prefer someone to put up 2 TDs, 2 Ints and 240 yards per game, even if we lost every one. Oh wait, I guess we had that guy...Jake Plummer. ;)

A-Bomb

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
This will make it 4-3 Kurt right Rats? Going to be a close race. lol
No...we are 2-5 chief....4-4.. Josh started Sf, Car, Tenn,Cowgirls...Kurt got the first 3....pay attention.... :D