We didn't deserve to win

finleyfan

Reaction score
Undermanned, the Suns really impressed me tonight. We hit a few lucky 3's toward the end and the ball bounced the wrong way for you guys. I'm looking forward to a great game on Friday.

nbadan

Reaction score
If you asked me, the league has a vested interest in seeing this series go 7. I'm looking for Phoenix to get the benefit of the calls in game 6.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought the game was moderately well called but there were several charge or block calls that bothered me. However, TNT seemed very reluctant to show replays of some of the calls that went against the Suns.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was easily the best officiated game of the series.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was pretty fair for the most part. Every game you'll have calls that will be questioned by fans of both teams, and this was no different. A couple of bad calls did come at the worst moments though

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
If you asked me, the league has a vested interest in seeing this series go 7. I'm looking for Phoenix to get the benefit of the calls in game 6.

Without a doubt. I seriously think they do it to make more money. Just look at the other games, both east and west. Warriors-Jazz might head to 7 games, same with Nets-Cavs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt. I seriously think they do it to make more money. Just look at the other games, both east and west. Warriors-Jazz might head to 7 games, same with Nets-Cavs.

uh, the Warriors lost in 5.

that being said, we've seen both the Bulls and the Nets go into hostile territory, facing elimination and BOTH pulled out wins. Now, neither of them were playing the Spurs, but the Pistons are pretty damn good and WE ARE MUCH BETTER THAN THE BULLS AND NETS.

I just hope there's some gas left in the tank come Friday.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would attribute the suspensions to league stupidity rather than league conspiracy. They don't know that such an action would actually extend the series. If the Suns had been up 3-1, then the suspensions would have likely lengthened the series, but if the Spurs win in game 6 the series will be shorter than if there were no suspensions (if the suspensions caused this loss).

Nash Attack

Reaction score
The grab on Nash's right arm by Bowen as he went up to do a lay up really makes me question that statement.
Bowen is a master of deception which makes me cringe when he says he didn't mean to knee Nash or kick Amare. I actually thought this game was officiated slightly in the Suns favor, but all in all, it was well officiated. Probably the best game of the series.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The grab on Nash's right arm by Bowen as he went up to do a lay up really makes me question that statement.

That grab was very hard to see, and it was his offhand. That call will be missed most of the time.

If you are talking about one missed call questioning how well the entire game was officiated, then you didn't watch the handfuls of bad calls in the previous games.

suckerpunch

Reaction score
From a Spurs fan down in SA

First....this thing is going seven games. Actually, I'm hoping this goes seven. I wanted the Suns to win last night. I wanted all this Asterisk talk to be put to rest and play out the rest of the series as two great basketball games.

The Best Offense vs. the Best Defense...it was perfect. Now all this crap has overshadowed the series. The Suns played their hearts out last night and in my opinion was the better team.

So I'm hoping both fan bases can look past the suspensions and hope for a game seven where we can see the best team walk out to the next round.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First....this thing is going seven games. Actually, I'm hoping this goes seven. I wanted the Suns to win last night. I wanted all this Asterisk talk to be put to rest and play out the rest of the series as two great basketball games.

The Best Offense vs. the Best Defense...it was perfect. Now all this crap has overshadowed the series. The Suns played their hearts out last night and in my opinion was the better team.

So I'm hoping both fan bases can look past the suspensions and hope for a game seven where we can see the best team walk out to the next round.

In a perfect world, we would be able to look by it. This world is not perfect. There will be fans that are bitter about these suspensions for the rest of their life.

Part of my grief will be relieved if the NBA changes its "vicinity of the bench" rule, but that will only be part of it.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stern has said that the rule is fine and likely won't be changed.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

it wasn't really a grab.

it was more like jab at his ribs, it happened really quick.

and did you guys see the james jones foul on bowen? it happened during the third quater.

jj was setting a screen on bowen, but they called a fould on jj! it looks like bowen kicked jones' left leg/foot.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stern has said that the rule is fine and likely won't be changed.

He doesn't have that ability. If the owners want the rule changed, it will have to be done. It cannot be done until the offseason however.

All of the owners could get together and have him replaced if they so felt that it needed to be done. That won't happen for this issue, but you get the idea.

suckerpunch

Reaction score
I think everyone is a little quick to use the word "dirty" in this series because of Amare's initial comment on Bowen. It seems that everyone is overlooking the fact that the playoffs are hard played, physical games. Bowen is a tough defender...similar to Raja Bell. If you look how Raja defends and the little things he does...you would have to call him "dirty".

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone is a little quick to use the word "dirty" in this series because of Amare's initial comment on Bowen. It seems that everyone is overlooking the fact that the playoffs are hard played, physical games. Bowen is a tough defender...similar to Raja Bell. If you look how Raja defends and the little things he does...you would have to call him "dirty".

Quick? This series has been dirty 2 games before that comment.

The only thing that you could call "dirty" about Bell's defense is his flopping. His clothesline on Kobe was dirty, but that was an isolated incident. Tell me some of the little things that Bell does to intentionally hurt other players?

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Look at it this way--the Spurs should have won game 4 and the Suns should have won game 5. It all evens out and going into game 6 it's as it should be. That was a tough loss.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at it this way--the Spurs should have won game 4 and the Suns should have won game 5. It all evens out and going into game 6 it's as it should be. That was a tough loss.

That's how I am rationalizing it this morning as well.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Even being short handed, the Suns should have won this game. There is 2 plays that were major reasons why the Suns lost. Yes, they ran out of gas towards the end of the game, but 1 call and a no call in the last 4 minutes hurt the Suns. The 2 plays in question:
1st:
Ginobili's 3pt fg try where HE GRABBED NASH's arm and pulled him to the floor, and Nash picking up the foul. It should have been an offensive foul or a no call. Either way, it would have kept 3 pts off the board for the Spurs.

2nd:
The NO CALL on Bowen smacking Nash's off arm, making Nash's body contort and miss the wide open lay-up.

That right there is a 5 pt swing for the Spurs. Had those 2 plays had different endings, the game would have as well.

I'm proud of what the Suns did. Yes, D'Antoni should have gone a player or two deeper in the rotation last night. However, for most of the game, the guys playing were on a roll and keeping the Spurs on their toes defensively and making them work for everything they got offensively. No matter how tired some of the players were last night, I saw, specifically Nash, Marion, KT, and Bell pleading with D'Antoni to leave them in the game. So, if your star players and your best defensive guys are telling you to leave them in there and they're playing well, you're gonna leave them in the game.

Even though this was a loss for the Suns, they still won. Mentally, they know that a few key plays, calls and no calls, were the difference in this game and not just the fact they didn't have Amare and Diaw. This also helps D'Antoni with his line-ups at times for tomorrows game to get better production and the win. He can play similar to tonights line-ups at times to get the Spurs in foul trouble and tiring them out.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
To be fair, let's not overlook Bell's outrageous flop to draw a charge on Ginobili with about 3:00 (?) to play.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, let's not overlook Bell's outrageous flop to draw a charge on Ginobili with about 3:00 (?) to play.

Yep, but since we didn't score on that possession, it doesn't count?