Antonio Cromartie - 62 (100%)
Rashad Johnson - 62 (100%)
Deone Bucannon - 44 (71%)
Jerraud Powers - 49 (79%)
Tyrann Mathieu - 44 (71%)
Tony Jefferson - 13 (21%)
Justin Bethel - 16 (25.8%)

Trends

1-I will start with Alex Okafor. For the 5th straight game, OAK has played over 75% of the defensive snaps. He also got home for a sack yesterday, but as you watch the game, he does a very good job of getting pressure on the QB consistently throughout the game. He played DE in nickel which is why he got 19 more snaps than Acho.

2-Staying on defense, Kareem Martin stands out in playing 22 more snaps than the previous week. That is nice to see. Stinson saw his snaps decrease by 21. Rucker continued to play his 50% of defensive snaps, and Campbell had his snaps reduced but also had his most dominant game fo the season. I look for a nice rotation across the front to continue going forward.

3-Ellington played 80% of snaps again, and Marion Grice showed why. Taylor can't get back soon enough, especially if you watch Hughes pass block. I'm not sure we will see the run game pick up over the rest of the season either. The Rams whipped the Cards up fron this game, and I imagine that will be a theme over the rest of the schedule as we play the Rams again, two vs Seattle, San Fran, and Detroit next week. KC isn't too shabby either.

4-Rotation is the word of the day in the secondary as well. Cardinals are playing Peterson, Cro, and R Johnson almost every snap, and then rotate Powers, Mathieu and Bucannon in various capacities.They sprinkled in a little Jefferson and Bethel as well, but if I watched correctly, that was because the Cards moved Cro over Cook.

Thoughts

1-Nice to see the defense take over vs. a sub par offense. I think this defense lacks a bit of focus at times which is not uncommon for young teams. They are fiery and excited which is why fundamentals go sideways sometimes. That fourth quarter was one of the most dominant I have seen in a while. Pressure on the QB. Solid coverage. Making turnovers. scoring points. Very impressive stretch.

2-Calais Campbell is a beast, especially when he is well rested. The Rams don't have a great offensive line, but Campbell was a monster at times.

3-John Brown makes a bunch of big plays, and is becoming very clutch with it. When the ball in the air on those vertical routes, I'm assuming Brown is coming down with it.

4-"Interior OL is a glaring issue every week, and isn't something that gets solved with keeping more guys into block. We will struggle with the Rams interior defensive line." That was from last week, and it isn't changing folks. We will struggle with the Lions interior defensive line.

5-Fitzgerald seems to be thriving in his role which I wonder if it is because he is more comfortable or if Floyd is struggling to get seperation. I tally it as a bit of both. The most amusing part is that as Fitz continues his success, it may lead to him staying in Arizona. Somewhere in the midst of Fitzgerald and his contract is a sweet spot. I totally believe Fitz is willing to take a pay cut to stay in AZ. However, I don't believe Fitz will do so if he is not getting used. Now, Fitz is getting his numbers, we are winning, and Fitz sees a future. I don't think he will take as much of a cut as the team would like, but I do believe he will take a cut.

6-Here comes the meat grinder. Combined record of 36-27. Detroit will be our playoff test IMO. Good QB/Offense, good defense/pass rush. Can we protect the ball and score enough to win? Stafford isn't Rodgers, Romo or Manning, but he is better than Wilson, Kaep, and Davis. Not too many top QBs so I believe we will continue to win games. Seattle could be tough because of how they can take over a game defensively vs passing dependant teams which we are.

###

That is all I have this week. If you have other questions, let me know.

Reaction score
Another great write up Chopper. Thanks again. I did see that the "Ghost" got a little more playing time this week. What are your thoughts on that?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you break down what happened on the Rams TE long touchdown, please?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you break down what happened on the Rams TE long touchdown, please?

If I remember correctly, Johnson played him straight up like it were a bump and run coverage, except he didn't bump him. He is slower than Cook and didn't have a chance. He didn't have any over the top help as well.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought it was Bucannon, not Johnson that had him at the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Niklas caught his first pass in the NFL!!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Excellent notes this week, Chopper. Someone mentioned in another thread last week that Floyd is nursing some kind of upper-body injury. I think that's part of it. Another part of it is that I think that Fitz just decided to stop fighting. It's worth remembering that he's been playing that same outside receiver role since high school, and maybe we should forgive him for being far too slow to adapt.

Good to see Niklas making an absolute textbook outlet route keeping his body to the QB the entire way.

Matt Hasselback was awesome in the booth. Good on FOX for putting him on. Ronde Barber is an utter zero.

I think Bucannon was surprised at how big and fast Jered Cook is. I'd like to do my breakdown of that play, but I'm figuring out this new Mac and I don't know what the OS version of Paint is (which is what I used on my PC to export PowerPoint slides to jpeg).

I'm mystified as to why Robert Hughes remains on this team. He's AWFUL.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The thing I'm nervous about Fitz production is that will come down now that Stanton will start. The games Stanton played, Fitz didn't get alot of yards. Hope that's not the case as I want to see Fitz with 100 yard games.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Robert Hughes is on the team because Bruce Arains' offense doesn't need a fullback, only it does. lol

What really sucks is that Arians inherited a very good fullback in Anthony Sherman who was dealt to the Chiefs for college stud, pro dud Javier Arenas.

Jonathan Dwyer being an idiot has left big hole on this team.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Excellent notes this week, Chopper. Someone mentioned in another thread last week that Floyd is nursing some kind of upper-body injury. I think that's part of it. Another part of it is that I think that Fitz just decided to stop fighting. It's worth remembering that he's been playing that same outside receiver role since high school, and maybe we should forgive him for being far too slow to adapt.

Good to see Niklas making an absolute textbook outlet route keeping his body to the QB the entire way.

Matt Hasselback was awesome in the booth. Good on FOX for putting him on. Ronde Barber is an utter zero.

I think Bucannon was surprised at how big and fast Jered Cook is. I'd like to do my breakdown of that play, but I'm figuring out this new Mac and I don't know what the OS version of Paint is (which is what I used on my PC to export PowerPoint slides to jpeg).

I'm mystified as to why Robert Hughes remains on this team. He's AWFUL.

So, I liked Hasselbeck as well. You can tell why he has been in the league forever, and that he understands how to apply real NFL concepts to a broadcast. Barber is just not good.

I think we will hear in the offseason/playoffs how Floyd has battled through a lingering injury, but sucked it up for the team. That is my guess.

I look forward to your write up on the Cook TD. From what I saw, Bucannon was playing stack coverage, failed to get his jam to reroute Cook, and then Cook ran past him because Bucannon lunged with his jam. A breakdown will be nice to see where the help was, and if Bucannon allowed Cook to break the wrong way in relation to his help.

To me, it looked like a rookie S with a rookie mistake against a TE who is fast enough to make him pay. That is a risk/reward with man coverage.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Robert Hughes is on the team because Bruce Arains' offense doesn't need a fullback, only it does. lol

What really sucks is that Arians inherited a very good fullback in Anthony Sherman who was dealt to the Chiefs for college stud, pro dud Javier Arenas.

Jonathan Dwyer being an idiot has left big hole on this team.

Yeah. Dwyer really has hurt in our pass pro, and depth. Stepfan Taylor as your 3rd RB is ok, but as your #2, depth is a concern. Grice showed his inexperience, and with Ellington's stature, I'm not sure we will get the running game we want going forward. Hopefully, enough to make the play action passing game a threat.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Niklas caught his first pass in the NFL!!!

And it was a really nice play. You can see he isn't very explosive right now, but an ability to contribute when dinged up is a nice trait to develop in players. I hope we see more of the same from him. His development (any TE development) will be big for this team in 2015 and beyond.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Another great write up Chopper. Thanks again. I did see that the "Ghost" got a little more playing time this week. What are your thoughts on that?

The Ghost is named such because he makes appearances out of the corner of your eye, or after a play is over. You never actually see The Ghost do anything. That held true this game as well.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The thing I'm nervous about Fitz production is that will come down now that Stanton will start. The games Stanton played, Fitz didn't get alot of yards. Hope that's not the case as I want to see Fitz with 100 yard games.

None of the statistical production under Stanton was good, it wasn't just Fitz. Our offense will be even more inconsistent going forward.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Massie? I know Palmer buckled his knee towards his side but that was noncontact and I think Massie held up well considering the defense we faced. Any thoughts on the big guy...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So, I liked Hasselbeck as well. You can tell why he has been in the league forever, and that he understands how to apply real NFL concepts to a broadcast. Barber is just not good.

I think we will hear in the offseason/playoffs how Floyd has battled through a lingering injury, but sucked it up for the team. That is my guess.

I look forward to your write up on the Cook TD. From what I saw, Bucannon was playing stack coverage, failed to get his jam to reroute Cook, and then Cook ran past him because Bucannon lunged with his jam. A breakdown will be nice to see where the help was, and if Bucannon allowed Cook to break the wrong way in relation to his help.

To me, it looked like a rookie S with a rookie mistake against a TE who is fast enough to make him pay. That is a risk/reward with man coverage.

Peterson intimated that he's been less than healthy and that he "finally felt 100% out there." The NFL is such an interesting league.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Peterson intimated that he's been less than healthy and that he "finally felt 100% out there." The NFL is such an interesting league.

I think people really fail to understand how beat up players get throughout the season, and how much they play the game at less than 100%. Facts are that some players are better at playing dinged up than others (not saying anything about Peterson or Floyd), and it is not really a toughness thing.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Massie? I know Palmer buckled his knee towards his side but that was noncontact and I think Massie held up well considering the defense we faced. Any thoughts on the big guy...

I think Massie has been good, and would be even better if he had better help inside.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
And it was a really nice play. You can see he isn't very explosive right now, but an ability to contribute when dinged up is a nice trait to develop in players. I hope we see more of the same from him. His development (any TE development) will be big for this team in 2015 and beyond.

Actually it was Nicklas 2nd reception of the season.He had a 16 yard catch earlier this season.:)

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on the Oline even missed a snap this year? Can't be many if they have. Seems pretty remarkable regardless of how they've been vilified.