Werhli ...a HOF'er

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Monk gets shafted again..

The Class is Irvin, Thurman, Bruce Matthews and Charlie Sanders along with Roger Wherli.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
as much as I hate the Cryboys, tell me that Irvin should be in before Bob
Hayes and Drew Pearson. The voters have it all wrong. Hayes changed the
game(zone defense) and Pearson was second to only Swann in big time
playoff games.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Long time overdue for Roger. I remember that fake FG for a TD against the Giants as one of my all time fav plays.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Charlie Sanders ??????????????????:doi: :barf: . He must've hired a good PR guys to sell his case. The NFL HOF has the worst formula for induction. It's basically a PR spiel to a commitee and i guess you get in if you bring donuts.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
All right. Another guy for the Rams to add to their ring of honor.

Congrats to Mr. Werhli.

;)

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
Congrats Roger, I watched Wehrli as I grew up. Now I have to see if I am going to follow my word, and go to Canton when a Cardinal gets inducted. Shouldn't be too far from Missouri.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how does a guy like merriman get in the pro bowl and art monk cant get in the HoF?

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Sanders and Werhli are in the same boat. A pair of guys who were consistently good but never great. Both made 7 Pro Bowls, both are on the all-decade team of the 1970s.

Sometimes the Hall makes guys like that wait in purgatory for a few years, and this year I guess they decided to reward them both.

Since Sanders made 7 Pro Bowls in only 9 seasons (whereas Werhli played 14) if anything he deserved it more. And I can guarantee you that every other team's message board is saying "Roger Werhli?????" right now.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Long time overdue for Roger. I remember that fake FG for a TD against the Giants as one of my all time fav plays.

Ooooh man that was awesome!!!! IIRC that was his last game as a Card. I remember in 1974 he intercepted a pass from Sonny Juregenson at St Lou against the Redskins and I think he returned it for a TD. The 'skins were toast after that play!!!!!

DaCards

I Heart the Cardinals!!
Reaction score
Irvin!!.....Irvin!! Im so angry, I'm pretty much speechless. Voting for the HOF has become a joke.:lame:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Never thought he would get it. I'm thrilled he did. Monk should be in. I don't know what the problem is. It's almost like a conspiracy to keep him out. I wonder if he pissed somebody off, or what?

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Add #22 to the Cardinals Hall of Famers wall:

You must be registered for see images

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wehrli absolutely deserves it. He was a great corner. QB's just wouldn't throw his way.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Monk should be in. I don't know what the problem is. It's almost like a conspiracy to keep him out. I wonder if he pissed somebody off, or what?

Art Monk was a good WR, but he is no HOF'r, IMO. The only reason Monk's career stats are up there is because he played for so long. He basically had 4-5 good years. He NEVER scored double digit TD's in a season. He only had 100+ receptions once.

The best stat Monk has going for him is that he is in the top 5 in receptions all time, but that is simply because he played for so long, not because he was great.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
Just another HOF from the U University of Missouri that is. Great to see Roger make it.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sanders and Werhli are in the same boat. A pair of guys who were consistently good but never great. Both made 7 Pro Bowls, both are on the all-decade team of the 1970s.

Sometimes the Hall makes guys like that wait in purgatory for a few years, and this year I guess they decided to reward them both.

Since Sanders made 7 Pro Bowls in only 9 seasons (whereas Werhli played 14) if anything he deserved it more. And I can guarantee you that every other team's message board is saying "Roger Werhli?????" right now.

Of course the other side of the coin is that Wehrli was signifigantly smaller than Sanders and took more punishment in routinely beiing required to tackle RB's at full throttle. Not to mention covering speed burning WR's like Bob Hayes at the same time. I would argue that Wehrli took much more of a pounding than Sanders did and yet held up for 14 years. Also Werhli played 14 yrs on the worst artificial fields in the NFL and held up. Sanders was a really good TE but Wehrli is much more deserving than he is.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We locals don't discuss it much but there is a huge disconnect between us and the Cards ring of honor. None of those guys except Pat Tillman hold any interest for us. And Pat should not be in the ring of honor because he wasn't anything special as a football player, in my opinion.

The Cards current ring of honor is just another item of proof that ownership lives in the past and has not fully embraced Arizona as "home."

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We locals don't discuss it much but there is a huge disconnect between us and the Cards ring of honor. None of those guys except Pat Tillman hold any interest for us. And Pat should not be in the ring of honor because he wasn't anything special as a football player, in my opinion.

The Cards current ring of honor is just another item of proof that ownership lives in the past and has not fully embraced Arizona as "home."

I can definitely understand that Jim. It is past time for the Cards to get with it and start winning some games and begin to build a tradition in Arizona.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the sentiment, but who else from the AZ-era should be on the ring? Anneas? Centers? Plummer?

Most of the greats were from the Chicago or St. Louis eras. That's why most of the players on the ring are from them. I don't see it as ownership living in the past, but rather just being reasonable as to who's on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05