What are you reading now?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike I am in book 4 Soul Harvest of the Left Behind series.

I dont get what you mean by saying poorly written? They are an easy read that is for sure but I certainly wouldnt say poorly written. I so far am really enjoying them. It seems as though that everything big always occurs at the end of each book. Really keeps me hooked. Sorry you didnt care for them!

They are easy...I think it felt a bit too easy at times.

Maybe the later ones get harder for me. I dunno. I enjoyed them too, but I always felt like the writing was a bit juvenile...my wife agreed with me.

I liked them, like I said, but i think towards the end it started seeming a bit weird...they got too detailed about one event, instead of telling more of what was happening.

*shrugs*

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it so much, I'm sticking with the James Morrow theme and reading "Towing Jehovah."
Just finished this last night. It was good, but not great. I do very much like James Morrow as an author.

I went to Borders over lunch thinking I'd pick up DDogg's pseudo-suggestion, "The Strange Life of Ivan Osokin: A Novel," but they didn'thave it. So, I went looking for another James Morrow, and they were out (which is odd, because when I bought these other books there were at least a half-dozen of them).

Anyway, I ended up picking up "Little Children" by Tom Perrotta (the same guy who wrote "Election").

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
=

Anyway, I ended up picking up "Little Children" by Tom Perrotta (the same guy who wrote "Election").
I'm very much enjoying this book, but it's not what I thought it would be. I was thinking it'd be "quirky" because of what the film-adaption of Election was.

This is way more "grown up." Most of the central characters are young parents of toddlers and in each case their life is different from what they thought it'd be. So, I relate to them on a lot of levels (not that I'm that young, and not that I relate to them on EVERY level...they do some unsavory things).

Anyway, it's a pleasent read and interesting. Judging from the cover, it looks like it's going to be a Judd Law and Kate Winslet movie (if it isn't already).

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's already been made into a movie and released last year. Kate Winslet, but not Judd Law. Some other guy who looks like him on the book cover (not in any other photo, though).

...I wonder if BadaBing has seen it....

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I been trying to read Sun Tzu The Art Of War but then I get busy.. Havent gotten around to it yet..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's already been made into a movie and released last year. Kate Winslet, but not Judd Law. Some other guy who looks like him on the book cover (not in any other photo, though).

Winslet is nominated for an Oscar for her role in that.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Haha, not yet. Waiting for the DVD.

I picked up Life of Pi today from the library based on your glowing recommendations in this thread. It sounds interesting.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, not yet. Waiting for the DVD.

I picked up Life of Pi today from the library based on your glowing recommendations in this thread. It sounds interesting.

I have it from the library as well, but I'm still struggling though Klosterman's book. I have a backlog of books to read.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just finished Unveiling Islam, it was educational, it was written by Evangelical Christians (who were raised Muslim) and seemed more intent to educate those who would convert others to Christianity but it still was informative.

I've moved on to In The Belly of the Green Bird; the Triumph of the Martyrs in Iraq, about an Arabic speaking American journalist who was able to get inside the insurgency. It gives a unique perspective that I hadn't seen presented anywhere else.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up Joe College by Tom Perrotta. He wrote the book I just finished and enjoyed, Little Children.

I'm also listening to an audio book on my commute called "The Science of Super Heroes." It's very fun so far, and I'm surprised at the depth it goes into in physics and chemistry.

It's funny, I just took a moment to read some of the Amazon reviews and a lot of people are shocked that the book didn't SUPPORT the scientific possibilities of superheroes. Huh, wha? What, did they think that the book was going to tell them that they should go expose themselves to gamma radiation if they wanted to be the Hulk for halloween? Anyway, it's a fun "debunking" of the fictional basis of popular superheroes existing in reality.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just finished :07 Seconds or Less.

I liked the way it jumped around However, I think the author spent too much time on the actual game recaps. I watched every second of every game, so I wasn’t getting anything new here. I thought the descriptions of the pre and post game meetings were much more interesting.

My favorite aspect was probably the insight on the coaching staff and their relationships with each of the players. It’s interesting to read about how these guys interact behind the scenes.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
I just finished :07 Seconds or Less.

I liked the way it jumped around However, I think the author spent too much time on the actual game recaps. I watched every second of every game, so I wasn’t getting anything new here. I thought the descriptions of the pre and post game meetings were much more interesting.

My favorite aspect was probably the insight on the coaching staff and their relationships with each of the players. It’s interesting to read about how these guys interact behind the scenes.

i'm about 2/3 finished with this right now. i agree, although i don't mind the game recaps. i like thinking about the games with the insider knowledge.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm about 2/3 finished with this right now. i agree, although i don't mind the game recaps. i like thinking about the games with the insider knowledge.

The Suns lose to the Mavs in the WCF. :(

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find myself without a book today. I'm headed to the bookstore over lunch...I'm going to start by seeing if they've restocked the shelves with any more James Morrow (City of Truth, Towing Jehovah), then I might look at getting another Tom Perrotta (Joe College, Little Children).

But, I might also browse the scifi section...I'm kinda in the mood for a quick scifi read. Any suggestions?

Also, is the movie "Children of Men" an adaption of a novel?

jenna2891

Reaction score
BTW, did you ever finish Owen Meany? Can I assume you weren't as taken by it as I was?

meh... i got about 200 pages in. it was ok, but nothing great. sitting down to read it felt like more of a chore than a pleasure. i stopped reading and picked up the suns book instead. i wanted to get into, but i just never did. i'll prolly finish it at some time, but right now i'm just not that into it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
meh... i got about 200 pages in. it was ok, but nothing great. sitting down to read it felt like more of a chore than a pleasure. i stopped reading and picked up the suns book instead. i wanted to get into, but i just never did. i'll prolly finish it at some time, but right now i'm just not that into it.
Huh. I guess it was just over your head.

;)

jenna2891

Reaction score
from the "your top five books" thread:

1. catch 22 - joseph heller
  2. the princess bride - william goldman
  3. franny and zooey - j.d. salinger
  4. one flew over the cuckoo's nest - ken kesey
  5. to kill a mockingbird - harper lee
honorable mention:
  • fahrenheit 451 - ray bradbury
  • anything else by salinger
  • a confederacy of dunces - john kennedy toole
  • a heartbreaking work of staggering genius - dave eggers

i think i'm going to hit up this list next. it's been awhile since i've read some of these books.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from the "your top five books" thread:

1. catch 22 - joseph heller
  2. the princess bride - william goldman
  3. franny and zooey - j.d. salinger
  4. one flew over the cuckoo's nest - ken kesey
  5. to kill a mockingbird - harper lee

i think i'm going to hit up this list next. it's been awhile since i've read some of these books.

Geez....I feel old now...I read all those my sophomore/junior years in high school...a million (or 18, whatever) years ago...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05