What are you reading now?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's very inconsequential to the overall story.

If the plot in Starsea was as good as it was supposed to be within the story of Replay, why wouldn;t he just write Starsea instead? ;)

This is true, but I always hate when a book is really good and then fictional fiction inside of it sucks. Especially in a book that has my total attention like this one does...I don't like being jarred back into reality. :shrug:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:07 Seconds or Less

:)

What do you think of this book?

I am 1/2 way thru it and I am really disappointed with it.

First off, I hate the chronology that starts with the playoffs and flashbacks to camp. I was expecting a true diary of watching the Suns in chronological order, from after they traded JJ to Amare's going down to a team that had no chance on paper putting something together.

Second, the game recaps are nothing more than something you could get from Yahoo sports. Very boring.

Third, at least so far there is nothing "revealing" about the player's personalities that we haven't heard already. It is not really an expose, but rather just like reading the sports page or listening to sports talk radio.

Maybe I will change my mind when I finish it, but I have to give it thumbs down for now.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think of this book?

I am 1/2 way thru it and I am really disappointed with it.

First off, I hate the chronology that starts with the playoffs and flashbacks to camp. I was expecting a true diary of watching the Suns in chronological order, from after they traded JJ to Amare's going down to a team that had no chance on paper putting something together.

Second, the game recaps are nothing more than something you could get from Yahoo sports. Very boring.

Third, at least so far there is nothing "revealing" about the player's personalities that we haven't heard already. It is not really an expose, but rather just like reading the sports page or listening to sports talk radio.

Maybe I will change my mind when I finish it, but I have to give it thumbs down for now.

I just read it and I liked it a lot.

Yeah, it didn't get too into details, but I think you find out some things you didn't really know before.

I didn't mind the bouncing back and forth, it was kind of cool.

And for me, last season's playoff run was one to remember, so I enjoyed the recaps on the games.

I bought it for my dad and my friend cause I thought it was so good :)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
finally started it. so far, not bad.
I'll be interested to hear what you think. When I read it I had no expectations; I suspect since you're reading it on a recommendation (even though it's just mine) you might have higher expectations.

I'm going to the bookstore over lunch. I might pick up the new Irving.

Or, the new Haddon.

Or, whatever else catches my eye.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Have you read all 13? WHat did you think if you did?

I read the first 6 or so, they get steadily worse in my opinion and they aren't the best written books, but they are pretty addicting anyways.

I never finished the series.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up, "City of Truth" by James Morrow.

Here's the Amazon link and summary:
Morrow's nearly perfect satiric novella takes place in the dystopia of Veritas, where everyone tells the truth or faces harsh punishment--which Jack Sperry risks when he learns that his son Toby has a fatal disease and that by lying to him he may enable Toby's cure.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am now 30 pages into 2nd book of teh left behind series. I think they are pretty darn goos so far. That ending to the first one was WOW!!!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am now 30 pages into 2nd book of teh left behind series. I think they are pretty darn goos so far. That ending to the first one was WOW!!!

I'll be interested in seeing how you think about them as you get into book 5 or 6...

I didn't really think the writing was that great...and for some reason, both my wife and I thought the characters names in the books were really lame...Raymond Steele?

Buck Williams?

I dunno...seemed...weird.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raymond Steele?

Buck Williams?

:confused:

Rayford Steele: I actually though this name was unique. Do you know anyone named Rayford?

Cameron "Buck" Williams: Buck gets his nickname from his willingness to "buck" journalistic traditions.

Wife and I liked the series. Somewhere around book 3 or 4 it dragged a bit, but it was a good series, in our opinion.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:confused:

Rayford Steele: I actually though this name was unique. Do you know anyone named Rayford?

Cameron "Buck" Williams: Buck gets his nickname from his willingness to "buck" journalistic traditions.

Wife and I liked the series. Somewhere around book 3 or 4 it dragged a bit, but it was a good series, in our opinion.

Yeah, Rayford, Raymond...still...I just thought the names were too obvious for the characters they represented, that's all. Just a quirk I guess.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting to pick up a friend at the airport, I stopped in at borders and read the first quarter of "The Tipping Point".
I'm almost done--about halfway through the afterword, which, IMO, is the best part. Seems like that's where the more real-world and less "perfect condition" examples are.

abomb said:
Picked it up for $14 and hope to bang it out in a day or two.
that'swhatshesaid

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up, "City of Truth" by James Morrow.

Here's the Amazon link and summary:
Morrow's nearly perfect satiric novella takes place in the dystopia of Veritas, where everyone tells the truth or faces harsh punishment--which Jack Sperry risks when he learns that his son Toby has a fatal disease and that by lying to him he may enable Toby's cure.
I'm about halfway through this and it just got really good. The people in this "eutopian" city are basically painfully lobotomized around the age of ten in a manner that causes their body physical pain and revoltion at even the meer thought of lying.

This guy's kid is bitten by an animal that gives him a fatal disease while away at summer camp. The kid doesn't know he's sick yet, and the dad wants to give him hope. But hope is a lie. He's in a real bind.

It's very twilight zone.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replay was really, really good. I loved the way it ended...

I was glad it didn't try to tie everything up and explain why it happened, and that he has an open world ahead of him (not able to manipulate money markets/bets, etc) and loves it. I also like that another replayer starts up at the same time frame...it leaves the whole thing open to your own interpretation of why, how, who else, etc. Left it mysterious just as life and death is anyway. Really liked that ending....

I had told my wife earlier in the day before I finished it that it could end a lot of different ways, but I was hoping it would end open and not tie it all together. I was pleasantly suprised.

I think if they made a movie of this, it would likely suck...just wouldn't translate to screen very well, I don't think.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finished "The City of Truth" last night. I recommend it. For those of you with the attention span of a gnat, it was very short.

I liked it so much, I'm sticking with the James Morrow theme and reading "Towing Jehovah."

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm reading Unveiling Islam by Caner & Caner.

I find the beliefs of Muslims fascinating and I only have a general knowledge of their religion, I'm trying to learn more.

Of course before I picked up this book I didn't realize it was on that freak Ann Coulters list.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm reading Unveiling Islam by Caner & Caner.

I find the beliefs of Muslims fascinating and I only have a general knowledge of their religion, I'm trying to learn more.

Of course before I picked up this book I didn't realize it was on that freak Ann Coulters list.

Did you ask anyone's advice before you started reading it?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike I am in book 4 Soul Harvest of the Left Behind series.

I dont get what you mean by saying poorly written? They are an easy read that is for sure but I certainly wouldnt say poorly written. I so far am really enjoying them. It seems as though that everything big always occurs at the end of each book. Really keeps me hooked. Sorry you didnt care for them!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Desperate Networks" was a very good read. Interesting to see all the backstories of Lost, DH, etc, getting on the air and NBC eating it once Friends left.

I am still halfway through "The Tipping Point" and started "The Education of a Coach".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05