What are you reading now?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Night Fall By Nelson Demille who is an excpetional stroy teller IMO. Most famous book is probably The Generals Daughter. Im at page 320 in this one and am really liking it!

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still find myself thinking about "Replay."

I tried to tell my wife what it was about and realized how tightly written it was. My synopsis was a mess--I can only imagine what it took to tell that story so well.

Here's something else, though. Towards the end when they were looking for other "replayers," one of the letters that came to them was from some organization called the ...crap, I'm forgetting what it was called now...The Outlook Group? Anyway, they made mention of this group more than once in a couple of pages and I thought for sure it was going somewhere; then, nothing. I wonder if there was a whole direction/chapter that was edited out.

Guess we'll never know.

I plan on re-reading Replay soon. Went looking for info on Grimwood and found this:

http://www.engel-cox.org/2003/06/remembering_ken_grimwood.html

Here's his wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Grimwood

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been reading Without Fear: Hockey's Greatest Goaltenders. I'm so learned.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Night Fall By Nelson Demille who is an excpetional stroy teller IMO.
Night Fall is his best, IMO.

But, his writing has one fatal flaw for me. The main character in all of his books (John Corey in NF and a couple others...including his most recent, I believe), is too "quipy." Nobody talks like that ALL the time. Plus, I think Demille is living an exciting sex-life through his characters. Too much soap-opera romances in his books.

But, overall, I agree with Shane. He's an exceptional writer and his books are good yarns. I'd also highly recommend "Charm School."

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS--I went and saw Demille when he was on his book tour in Denver. He talked about all the research he did for Night Fall. Interesting guy. I got an autograpghed copy for my dad, who's a big Demille fan. I stopped and talked to Demille a little bit about my dad and his expericences in Nam (Demille is also a VN vet). Good guy.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Night Fall is his best, IMO.

But, his writing has one fatal flaw for me. The main character in all of his books (John Corey in NF and a couple others...including his most recent, I believe), is too "quipy." Nobody talks like that ALL the time. Plus, I think Demille is living an exciting sex-life through his characters. Too much soap-opera romances in his books.

But, overall, I agree with Shane. He's an exceptional writer and his books are good yarns. I'd also highly recommend "Charm School."

I agree with you. He is def to quippy! But overall his books are really good. The romance dont bother me.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS--I went and saw Demille when he was on his book tour in Denver. He talked about all the research he did for Night Fall. Interesting guy. I got an autograpghed copy for my dad, who's a big Demille fan. I stopped and talked to Demille a little bit about my dad and his expericences in Nam (Demille is also a VN vet). Good guy.

His book Up Country is really good too! Its about one of his characters who goes back to Vietnam 30 years later to solve a homicide that occured during the war. Same character as the guy in The Generals Daughter. I have Plum Island in wait.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane, I'm done with the Tucker Max book now and will be mailing it out to you. I got kind of bored with it after a point...S.O.S. after awhile and some of the funny got unfunny.

Now reading Replay and it is really good so far...sometimes the sex scenes are a little stupidly worded, IMO, and stick out too much (which is funny considering I just read Tucker Max where it is all sex and such, but it fit in there). Storywise, I am really digging Replay...it is very interesting.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I'm wondering, is why hasn't it been made into a movie, yet? (and no smart alec links to Groundhog Day, okay?)

I'm only a third of the way through it and I agree completely. Perhaps it's too grand in scope to do in movie format? It does span a tremendous number of years.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished "Replay" last night (started it yesterday morning). It was really good. I'm still thinking about it today.

One thing I'm wondering, is why hasn't it been made into a movie, yet? (and no smart alec links to Groundhog Day, okay?)

It was in talks at one time with Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts...

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/313213

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane, I'm done with the Tucker Max book now and will be mailing it out to you. I got kind of bored with it after a point...S.O.S. after awhile and some of the funny got unfunny.

Now reading Replay and it is really good so far...sometimes the sex scenes are a little stupidly worded, IMO, and stick out too much (which is funny considering I just read Tucker Max where it is all sex and such, but it fit in there). Storywise, I am really digging Replay...it is very interesting.

Cool. I just started a new book that is a series caled Left Behind So far I am 100 pages into it and I am hoooooked! I will have to read the other one in between. Nightfall by Nelson Demille was VERY GOOD!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. I just started a new book that is a series caled Left Behind So far I am 100 pages into it and I am hoooooked!
:biglaugh:

You're going to go from Left Behind (a religious novel) to Tucker Max? Oh, man!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

You're going to go from Left Behind (a religious novel) to Tucker Max? Oh, man!

I wouldnt really consider it religious. Its based off revelations yea. But religious per se? I just dont know.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt really consider it religious. Its based off revelations yea. But religious per se? I just dont know.
It is, trust me. The series is a fictional account of the End Days from a Christian point of view, written by ministers.

It's a good yarn, I agree. but make no mistake, it IS religious in nature. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Tucker Max...isn't.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is, trust me. The series is a fictional account of the End Days from a Christian point of view, written by ministers.

It's a good yarn, I agree. but make no mistake, it IS religious in nature. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Tucker Max...isn't.

Ok. Have you read all 13? WHat did you think if you did?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the first two. I liked 'em okay.

I forget why I stopped. I probably picked up a different book and just never went back for the third.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I read 6 or 7 of these...good characters and interesting stories.

You can't get further from Tucker Max, however, than those books. Unless I guess, if you were reading the Bible in between.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes it is totally religious. Story of how God raptures his church and leaves the others "left behind".

It is a good book. I read the first one and it is entertaining. Never read any more.

But yeah, if you read this and then the Tucker Max book, you are going to have to go to confession. :)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting to pick up a friend at the airport, I stopped in at borders and read the first quarter of "The Tipping Point". Picked it up for $14 and hope to bang it out in a day or two.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also think that the plot of "Starsea" in the book is complete crap. But I'm almost done with this book (1/4 to go) and can't wait to finish.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also think that the plot of "Starsea" in the book is complete crap.
Yeah, but it's very inconsequential to the overall story.

If the plot in Starsea was as good as it was supposed to be within the story of Replay, why wouldn;t he just write Starsea instead? ;)