What is Jerry Colangelo's Real Plan?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He says the he didn't feel we could move forward with the team we had and win a championship. If he is really looking at the Suns situation realisticly, if he wants to win a championship in the next five years he needs the Suns to get someone like TMac, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Garnett...maybe James in the future to get to that point... The only way I see us it winning it all is with either TMac or Kobe or some amazing phenom comes out of the draft someday because we won't be able to get the other guys I mentioned...

Now does he think we will be better without Marbury if we use Barbosa or get the rookie from Europe? Marbury is one of the top three point guards (probably top 2) in the NBA. The odds of that happening are remote. Is he hoping someone like Ginobli or Nash will take us over the top? I just don't see that happening. So what are his long term plans? Just to get under the Cap?! If he isn't making a play on TMac or Kobe that's all I can think of...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SunCardfan
He says the he didn't feel we could move forward with the team we had and win a championship. If he is really looking at the Suns situation realisticly, if he wants to win a championship in the next five years he needs the Suns to get someone like TMac, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Garnett...maybe James in the future to get to that point... The only way I see us it winning it all is with either TMac or Kobe or some amazing phenom comes out of the draft someday because we won't be able to get the other guys I mentioned...

Now does he think we will be better without Marbury if we use Barbosa or get the rookie from Europe? Marbury is one of the top three point guards (probably top 2) in the NBA. The odds of that happening are remote. Is he hoping someone like Ginobli or Nash will take us over the top? I just don't see that happening. So what are his long term plans? Just to get under the Cap?! If he isn't making a play on TMac or Kobe that's all I can think of...

Actually it isn't a plan but a process. They decided that they needed to get below the cap in order to have more options. They were paying $65 million a year with little hope in sight

Now they will be about $8 million below the cap even if they can't unload White or Eisley. If they sign guys to only one year contracts this summer, they should get to the $15 million under the cap level by the summer of 2005.

They will have at least two draft picks this summer, possibly two lottery picks. Going two for one might get them into the top two or three picks with a chance of an impact player.

Even if they do not sign a stud free agent, next year's team should be a playoff level team, and a pretty good one, if Barbosa continues his development and JJ becomes more consistent. Marion will score 20 to 24 a game, Stoudemire 18 to 20, JJ 15 to 18 and Barbosa should be in double digets. I would look for Carbakapa to give them 12 to 15 points and another 15 from the other players.

If they can get a center (Lampe?) who is a serious offensive threat, the Suns offer a balanced attack that does not need Kobe. But if a super stud is available, they would have the cash to make a run at him.

Something might happen this summer, but there are lot of things that have to come together for Kobe to be a Suns:

1. He's declared innocent and vindicated.
2. He does not patch things up with the other Lakers
3. The Suns unload someone like White or Eisley
4. The Suns do not get outbid by someone with more cap space or more persuasive power

If no Kobe, then they would be looking at trades or waiting until 2005. This is not so much a plan as a process to prepare for opportunties.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess so but I don't think we could win a Championship without Kobe... How many draft picks have been like Kobe in the last 10 yrs? They don't come around that often. These days it seems like the elite players are the only ones that can win championships ala Duncan, Kobe-Shaq. If we want to win the whole thing we need to get Kobe or TMac at least that's the way I see it.

I guess the other chance we have is if Lampe gains about 80 pounds can carry the weight and kicks butt but I don't think that will happen :)

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Brian or Jerry said at some point since the trade that they are trying to build a championship caliber team. I have to go to sleep since it's 2 in the morning where I am but maybe I'll look it up later :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess so but I don't think we could win a Championship without Kobe... How many draft picks have been like Kobe in the last 10 yrs? They don't come around that often. These days it seems like the elite players are the only ones that can win championships ala Duncan, Kobe-Shaq. If we want to win the whole thing we need to get Kobe or TMac at least that's the way I see it.

I guess the other chance we have is if Lampe gains about 80 pounds can carry the weight and kicks butt but I don't think that will happen :)

Mike D'Antoni was on the radio Thursday evening and he mentioned Lampe. He said they originally expected to put him on IR until he practiced with them and blew people away. They have a three day break coming up over the weekend and are going to take a really close look at him.

The other thing he said was stranger. He described Lampe as 7'0'" and 275 pounds. All the listings have him at 240, but my guess is that those numbers are from his early draft report figures. Did D'Antoni mis-speak, or is he bigger than we were told? Very interesting.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
The other thing he sad was stranger. He described Lampe as 7'0'" and 275 pounds. All the listings have him at 240, but my guess is that those numbers are from his early draft report figures. Did D'Antoni mis-speak, or is he bigger than we were told? Very interesting.

ESPN has him listed at 6'11" 275
I also recall him listed at 275 in a few of the trade stories. They say he is still growing!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there should be any doubt that this trade was probably as much or more about getting financially responsible as it was about posturing for the future. Actually part of posturing for the future is getting financially is getting financially responsible.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just hope they understand that the window for winning in this league is very small right now and only a few very, very, rare guys can get you a championship

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
We have one of those Elite Players already, his name is Amare.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by My3Suns
We have one of those Elite Players already, his name is Amare.

Maybe. I think Amare will be a premium player fairly soon. But will he be a super premium franchise player? That's putting a lot pressure on a kid who is not old enough to go into a bar.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think you need a couple premium players to beat Shaq and Duncan right now.... If Amare can become as dominate as one of them...we might have a chance, I doubt it though... I don't think Kobe alone could take our team to a championship, we would need good role players AND Amare and Kobe...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you need a couple premium players to beat Shaq and Duncan right now.... If Amare can become as dominate as one of them...we might have a chance, I doubt it though... I don't think Kobe alone could take our team to a championship, we would need good role players AND Amare and Kobe...

This seaon will provide an interesting experiment if the Kings should win it. Predrag Stojakovic is having a great year and is the closest thing to a super premium player on that team. (Great shooter and good but not great defender). What makes them tough is that they have very good players in the other positions as well as some debth. (They have the best record in the NBA so far without Weber).

The Kings lucked out when they signed Predrag and he is way under priced. Other than him, the rest of the team is very good but not super premium level. He did not become a star until his third year.

Without Weber, their payroll would be around $51 million. Next yaer they will drop to $54 (prior to some resignings) when Divac leaves. The point is that they are doing it without a major FA signings.

Three years from now, Carbakapa could be the Sun's Stojakovic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Re: Re: What is Jerry Colangelo's Real Plan?

Originally posted by George O'Brien

Even if they do not sign a stud free agent, next year's team should be a playoff level team, and a pretty good one, if Barbosa continues his development and JJ becomes more consistent. Marion will score 20 to 24 a game, Stoudemire 18 to 20, JJ 15 to 18 and Barbosa should be in double digets. I would look for Carbakapa to give them 12 to 15 points and another 15 from the other players.

If they can get a center (Lampe?) who is a serious offensive threat, the Suns offer a balanced attack that does not need Kobe.

this sounds an awful lot like that old cavs team that had all that balanced scoring. price, harper, ehlo, nance, and daugherty. not that that's a bad thing. they were a contender, but they could never get past the bulls. is that what we're hoping to become?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You know what we need? We need a superstar like that shooting guard that played for the Lakers a few years ago--you know, that one that started for all those championship teams.

:D