What is the Suns culture?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Tyus Jones said the culture here was a good fit for him I'm curious what others think this teams culture is?

A few years ago things were abysmal and we brought in Monty for a cultural reset. We clearly aren't the same as when Monty was let go, having hired and fired Frank Vogel, and seeing massive roster turnover. All that remains from the 2021 finals team is Booker and James Jones. New ownership, new players, new staff.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I half heartedly joked the Suns culture is one of delusional optimism with a lack of patience and I think that shoe fits to a certain extent.

JJ said KD has never been used as effectively as he could, at 36 and a surgically repaired achilles. Back to KD, we went all in on him not recognizing how vital Mikal and Cam were to our success and previous run. The Suns rarely stick to a plan beyond a season before they tinker it too much it's unidentifiable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the new Suns culture is an absolute commitment to winning and being a top run organization.

If it's obtainable and needed to win, I think Mat Ishbia will do everything he can to provide it, no excuses. This pertains to the organization, players, salaries, facilities and the fan experience.

He wants everything top-notch. The word has spread throughout the NBA and the players know it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would say family oriented. Tyus himself said how he could see his kids running around the practice facility. Bartelstein and Ishbia's kids have been there. Supposedly Mat said he sold Tyus' wife on how family oriented the Suns organization is. Seems like they are trying for that vibe. I know the Mercury players were criticizing Sarver's era of Mercury basketball on lack of that. Maybe that's changing?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the new Suns culture is an absolute commitment to winning and being a top run organization.

If it's obtainable and needed to win, I think Mat Ishbia will do everything he can to provide it, no excuses. This pertains to the organization, players, salaries, facilities and the fan experience.

He wants everything top-notch. The word has spread throughout the NBA and the players know it.
100% this. To say otherwise is complete garbage. You may not like decisions they make but it is 100% this.