What is wrong with Mallet?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Honestly, I think Mallet has a TON on talent, but everytime I see him I feel like he is the next Todd Marinovich....

No that was Jimmy Clausen, from overbearing parent, to being groomed at a young age...I could see Mallett being compared to Jeff George though.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I have seen the guy play football every game for two years. I have seen him on interviews on TV for two years. I have heard the coach talk about him. Mallet can play football at a high level. The experts agree he has the best arm of the QBs in the draft. He was highly successful in the SEC. He is not dumb. He is a young man doing crazy things that many young men do. He will make it in the NFL based on his football ability not all the soap opera stuff being broadcast by reporters. In his interview with Gruden he did slouch in the chair and not sit at attention. That was interpreted to mean he did not care and put all over the net. Every thing he says and everything he does is being blown out of proportion. Teams are not dumb and some will see him as a quality QB in the NFL. He may not go in the first round but I would be all over him in round 2 because of what I saw of him personally and what I have heard from him personally. I think in 2-3 years he will be a starter in the NFL. He is one of those guys who some people find it easy to dislike.

Compared to Michael Vick he is saint but Michael Vick can still play football at a high level. The NFL will look past a lot of issues if you can play NFL football. The book is yet to be written on Ryan Mallet and his career. I see him going late in round 1 or early in round 2 regardless of all the garbage being released on the net. Maybe you guys were all smart and did all the right things when you were 20. I did neither and looking back I would be qualified to call my self a wild and crazy guy like Matt Leinart without the money or size or looks.

I do not understand why all the talk and press about Mallet anyway. Even before the recent events people had him as around the 4th best QB so he hardly deserves any press at all. He played two years of solid football in the SEC. He can play football when the bell rings. As with any QB we will know in a couple of years just who and what Ryan Mallet is. He will not be in prison nor will he be a drug addict. That is just not who Ryan Mallet is.

As well as Mallet throws the pigskin, he seems to always make that critical mistake at the end of a close game. Given that & his off the field issues I wouldn't touch the kid until Rd 4.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard Kiper and McShay say that they've heard he couls slip as far as the 4th round. I'd love to take Mallett in the 3rd.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard Kiper and McShay say that they've heard he couls slip as far as the 4th round. I'd love to take Mallett in the 3rd.
Yes, when I started the thread about drafting Mallett, I meant in the 4th round. for sure.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

That'd be something but I'd be surprised if he made it very far in round 2...unless there is something HUGE in his background that hasn't come to light yet.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd not blink at taking him in the 2nd round...heck, I'd rush to the podium with that pick. I'd kill a baby to get him in the 3rd. I'd instigate Armageddon to get him in the 4th!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd not blink at taking him in the 2nd round...heck, I'd rush to the podium with that pick. I'd kill a baby to get him in the 3rd. I'd instigate Armageddon to get him in the 4th!

:lmao:

You won't have to, Mallet has those things on his to do list. :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Big Ben part Deux. Make it happen Cards.

Ben Roethlisberger? Do you even watch NFL football? Is this comparison based on date raping co-eds? Because it certainly doesn't have to do with style of play or physical ability.

Good lord, what an idiotic statement.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
:lmao:

You won't have to, Mallet has those things on his to do list. :D

:D

A few more for you. I'd rape Sunday to get him in the 3rd. I'd elect Lady Gaga president to get him in the 4th.

I'd kiss Roseanne Bar to get him in the 3rd. I'd go down on her to get him in the 4th. (ugh, just puked on my keypad).

I'd atomic wedgie myself off a two-story building to get him in the 3rd. I'd take the Cowboys on as my 2nd-favorite team to get him in the 4th. Okay, so that last one isn't true. I mean, we all have to draw a line somewhere ;)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ben Roethlisberger? Do you even watch NFL football? Is this comparison based on date raping co-eds? Because it certainly doesn't have to do with style of play or physical ability.

Somebody in a bad mood today?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually in a really good mood today. It's the poster who drives me crazy.

so you have to call him an idiot because his opinion is different than yours? seems reasonable.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
so you have to call him an idiot because his opinion is different than yours? seems reasonable.

I didn't call him and idiot; I called the post idiotic. And there's no basis for comparison between Ben Roethlisberger (a Top 11 pick in an NFL draft) and Ryan Mallett (A guy who will count himself fortunate to be drafted in the second around of the NFL draft), except that both guys are football players and taller than average.

There are a handful of players that you can compare Ryan Mallett to that would be informative, but comparing him to Ben Roethlisberger only highlights the lack of knowledge by the poster. If ASUChris hadn't been obnoxious on other threads, I wouldn't have had to run this particular nugget of nonsense down.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If ASUChris hadn't been obnoxious on other threads, I wouldn't have had to run this particular nugget of nonsense down.

LOL, hilarious coming from the guy who has been banned multiple times, and is constantly getting into pissing matches with everyone.

"I wouldn't have had to run this particular nugget of nonsense down."

Wow, I haven't had that good a laugh from here in a long time... Glad you're staying vigilant chief!

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
And there's no basis for comparison between Ben Roethlisberger (a Top 11 pick in an NFL draft) and Ryan Mallett (A guy who will count himself fortunate to be drafted in the second around of the NFL draft), except that both guys are football players and taller than average.
There are a handful of players that you can compare Ryan Mallett to that would be informative, but comparing him to Ben Roethlisberger only highlights the lack of knowledge by the poster.

Hmm...no basis for comparison other than:

1. they're both about the same size
2. they're both known for their arm strength
3. they both have an ability to get out of pressure
4. they both have a checkered past

Oh, and this isn't just my opinion, google both names, and many people have made the comparison between the two. Other than that, they have nothing in common.

Your arrogance in this post is only matched by your apparent testiness towards me, which is a bit of a revelation. What is most funny is that this is the point that you decided to attack, as your point is so stupid. Idiotic would be comparing him to Max Hall, or your decision to get pissy and go off like a child.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm...no basis for comparison other than:

1. they're both about the same size
2. they're both known for their arm strength
3. they both have an ability to get out of pressure
4. they both have a checkered past

Oh, and this isn't just my opinion, google both names, and many people have made the comparison between the two. Other than that, they have nothing in common.

Your arrogance in this post is only matched by your apparent testiness towards me, which is a bit of a revelation. What is most funny is that this is the point that you decided to attack, as your point is so stupid. Idiotic would be comparing him to Max Hall, or your decision to get pissy and go off like a child.

While I don't support K9s response to you I also don't think the two compare very well. Mallet can't take 3 steps without falling down so NO he does not have the ability to get away from pressure. That is Big Bens best attribute and Mallets worst.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is really an unacceptable comment Kerouac. Please apologize because I would hate to ban you right before the draft.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is really an unacceptable comment Kerouac. Please apologize because I would hate to ban you right before the draft.

No need for that Mr.Sanders. As you can see the ASFN Brother/Sister Hood has already taken care of it.

Now about that guy ShaneH.... :D

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Ryan Mallett sexually assault women like Ben? Maybe that is the off field issue. :shrug: :D ( not that Ben's perverted form of foreplay is at all acceptable ).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sorry, Chris. But you really should watch Ryan Mallett and Roethlisberger play sometime.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sorry, Chris. But you really should watch Ryan Mallett and Roethlisberger play sometime.

Ha, thanks for the half assed apology! I knew your maturity would shine through in the end.

To say they're the same may not be true, but to say they don't compare at all and to consider the comparison idiotic may speak to your football acumen. Guess these people should start watching them as well, since they don't compare at all...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/625448-nfl-scouting-combine-is-ryan-mallett-the-next-ben-roethlisberger

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2386

http://thecabin.net/interact/opinion/columns/2011-04-19/enigma-mystery-mallett-and-draft

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=2456

Oh, and the icing on the cake, KC Joyner, someone the "genius" community holds in high regard...

"Mallett, on the other hand, has shown that he is capable of operating a vertical-based NFL offense right out of the gate. His combination of size, long pass ability and a willingness to take chances in the vertical game are very reminiscent of Ben Roethlisberger."

http://nflmocks.com/2011/03/19/k-c-joyner-prefers-mallet-to-gabbert/

Maybe he should start watching some football.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
While I don't support K9s response to you I also don't think the two compare very well. Mallet can't take 3 steps without falling down so NO he does not have the ability to get away from pressure. That is Big Bens best attribute and Mallets worst.

While Mallett may not be effective at combine agility drills, you underestimate his ability to avoid sacks. Statistically, Mallett ended up getting sacked about half as often as Cam Newton, known for his athleticism and ability to escape pressure. Doesn't sound like a guy who " can't take 3 steps without falling down so NO he does not have the ability to get away from pressure.".

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
Ryan Mallet is starting to remind of what happened to Dan Marino, they over
critiqued Marino being to slow with bad knees.