What is wrong with Mallet?

chickenhead

Reaction score
Again -- I don't know if #5 is the right spot for any QB not named "Luck"

I think I agree for us, though if Newton has a monster BCS championship game, I think the Broncos, Bills, and Bengals all look at him. If Orton is gone and the new regime doesn't see Tebow at QB, Newton might look like the most NFL-ready option (not named Luck). The Bills like Fitzpatrick but they have to consider a QB with a pick that high. If Palmer is moved, and both Owens and Ochocinco not long for Cincinnati, they may be looking for a franchise face as well.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mallet's completion percentage is 58%. That includes his stats at Michigan. His % has gone up each year.

That isn't good. I'm not jumping for joy that he can hit 58% against college DBs - his footwork and decision making and confidence in his arm is going to spell turnover machine in the NFL, IMO.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That isn't good. I'm not jumping for joy that he can hit 58% against college DBs - his footwork and decision making and confidence in his arm is going to spell turnover machine in the NFL, IMO.
Tom Brady had a 60% completion % in college. :) (not comparing the two). P. Manning was like 64%.

Mallet had a low % as a frosh. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Brady had a 60% completion % in college. :) (not comparing the two). P. Manning was like 64%.

Mallet had a low % as a frosh. :)

That's why numbers alone aren't such a solid argument. Manning in college at 63% wasn't an errant passer who overthrew open receivers. Mallett is.

He makes some great throws, for sure - the fades were gorgeous. He makes some REALLY bad ones too. Those aren't little misses...he overthrew a wide open guy by 15 yards last night. Sound familiar? He had a guy open at the pylon, but the ball was thrown 4 yards out of bounds. Sound familiar? Sure, his WRs had some drops. You know who else had some drops? The Ohio State defense...two sure picks thrown right at them that they bobbled and dropped. Sound familiar? He threw the game losing pick after a DE simply fell back in coverage and apparently turned invisible...sound familiar? His yards per pass last night was something like 5. Sound familiar?

BTW, Skelton also threw for 58% in college too. Would you take him with a top 5 pick?

I'd take Mallett in the 2nd round, but top 5 or top 15? No thanks. He most certainly isn't the best player available at that point. Accuracy wise he's a better QB than DA, yes (not saying much - da was 51% passer in college). But he displays very similar tendancies, especially with any amount of pressure. I don't want to take a flyer on a DA clone in the top 5 thinking he might be able to click in the NFL. I would take that flyer in the 2nd round.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why numbers alone aren't such a solid argument. Manning in college at 63% wasn't an errant passer who overthrew open receivers. Mallett is.

He makes some great throws, for sure - the fades were gorgeous. He makes some REALLY bad ones too. Those aren't little misses...he overthrew a wide open guy by 15 yards last night. Sound familiar? He had a guy open at the pylon, but the ball was thrown 4 yards out of bounds. Sound familiar? Sure, his WRs had some drops. You know who else had some drops? The Ohio State defense...two sure picks thrown right at them that they bobbled and dropped. Sound familiar? He threw the game losing pick after a DE simply fell back in coverage and apparently turned invisible...sound familiar? His yards per pass last night was something like 5. Sound familiar?

BTW, Skelton also threw for 58% in college too. Would you take him with a top 5 pick?

I'd take Mallett in the 2nd round, but top 5 or top 15? No thanks. He most certainly isn't the best player available at that point. Accuracy wise he's a better QB than DA, yes (not saying much - da was 51% passer in college). But he displays very similar tendancies, especially with any amount of pressure. I don't want to take a flyer on a DA clone in the top 5 thinking he might be able to click in the NFL. I would take that flyer in the 2nd round.
Agree, but I think comparing him to DA is unfair and a copout. :)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched Mallett with a lot of anticipation.

He looked very good, but roughly 85% the QB prospect Luck is - not as consistently accurate and not quite as field-aware.

What's intriguing me more and more is watching guys like Newton, Tyrod Taylor and Pryor. What they bring to the table is obvious, but with it, they bring a few challenges:

1. If a team decides to go in that direction, does it mean they should bring in one or two other equally athletic backup QB's in order to maintain the consistency of a mobile-QB offensive system should their lead-guy get injured?

2. Or is it OK to have more traditional (less mobile) QB's in backup roles "in order to provide variety?"

3. Is the "future" of offensive football moving more and more toward the dual-threat QB operating a shotgun or wildcat zone-read offense? And would NFL franchises be missing the boat if they don't change with the times?

My gut tells me that multi-talented QB's like Pryor and Newton are going to take over the game, and that we should seriously consider rolling the dice in that direction. (Heck! Practically all you see at the high school and college level are guys taking direct snaps in spread/pistol/zone-read setups. Trying to coach them up to operate under center means one or two years of extra development time). But if we're going to buy into Newton, Pryor etc. as our starting QB, we should only do it if we double-down with 2 or 3 slash types as our reserve QB's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i dont get the DA comparison at all. Say what you will about what you don't like about him, but he and DA are not alike. DA was a middle round prospect IIRC and ended up being taken in the 6th round. Mallet is in fact a 1st round talent like it or not. They both have great arms with Mallet having a bazooka back there. Mallet has some ability to be accurate but lives and dies by his arm strength so he gets inconsistent in his feet (a la Cutler) where DA is just bad in his decisions and accuracy.
Mallet has a world of upside and worthy of where ever he gets picked. Remember he is a college QB and not a pro at this point. We can't expect him to be lights out right now. He made a bad throw, but made more than enough plays for his team to win if they would have caught some.

DA has never been a good passer.

All in all I can understand the hesitation with taking him at #5, but at some point we have to seriously address the position and stop taking QB's off the scrap and hoping they pan out. Every successful team drafts a QB in the first round outside of New England. (i think it was Duckjake that really nailed that)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A thought just occurred to me, if the Cards stay in a 3-4, a rush LB may be even more of a need than QB. Or maybe not.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I don't think Mallett is DA bad.... He has his moments, but in the end, those moments are bi-polar.

His movement in the pocket is so awkward, and so clumsy. It's not a footwork thing, its a scatterbrain thing.

I think he will be a moderate to ok QB. I just hope it is for someone else.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Mallett is DA bad.... He has his moments, but in the end, those moments are bi-polar.

His movement in the pocket is so awkward, and so clumsy. It's not a footwork thing, its a scatterbrain thing.

I think he will be a moderate to ok QB. I just hope it is for someone else.

I think that is why I see him as DA. That and the big arm he trusts too much.

He'll likely be better than DA, but that's not saying much. However, watching him (like watching DA) it is like you are watching two different QBs playing - and not game to game. Series to series. Bi-polar is a great way to put it. DA would put out some great passes, then bomb it way past open guys. Mallett does the same (though not as often as DA, admittedly.)

Mulli, it's slightly unfair but it isn't a copout. When I watch Mallett play, I'm anticipating more what mistake he's going to make than what great play he's going to make. When I see a guy open wide, I'm wondering how badly he's going to miss him. Again, not to the extent that I feel that way with DA, but it is the same exact feeling.

Better player in quality, but same weaknesses almost to a T. Add in that Mallett's jerkiness is said to be on Phillip Rivers' level (you could see it a bit last night)

So, I'll admit to unfair. But it isn't a copout.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A thought just occurred to me, if the Cards stay in a 3-4, a rush LB may be even more of a need than QB. Or maybe not.

Maybe absolutely.

Reaching for a QB not named Luck would be horrible when our pass rush is horrific.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is why I see him as DA. That and the big arm he trusts too much.

He'll likely be better than DA, but that's not saying much. However, watching him (like watching DA) it is like you are watching two different QBs playing - and not game to game. Series to series. Bi-polar is a great way to put it. DA would put out some great passes, then bomb it way past open guys. Mallett does the same (though not as often as DA, admittedly.)

Mulli, it's slightly unfair but it isn't a copout. When I watch Mallett play, I'm anticipating more what mistake he's going to make than what great play he's going to make. When I see a guy open wide, I'm wondering how badly he's going to miss him. Again, not to the extent that I feel that way with DA, but it is the same exact feeling.

Better player in quality, but same weaknesses almost to a T. Add in that Mallett's jerkiness is said to be on Phillip Rivers' level (you could see it a bit last night)

So, I'll admit to unfair. But it isn't a copout.
Okay, I think I just wanted to use the word copout.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
SI.com had an interesting Mallett article...

Here are some highlights...
I had to laugh at recent stories downplaying Mallett's cockiness at Michigan. Of course he was cocky. Everybody around the program knew it. He was also immature, and he didn't seem to take criticism well, and he rubbed some of his older teammates the wrong way.

But on a scale of 1 to 10, his talent level was a 12. Michigan has had as much talent at quarterback as any other school in the country in the last 20 years. Mallett may have been the most physically talented quarterback in the school's history.

We have gotten to the point where people are inventing reasons not to like him. He isn't mobile enough. Oh, come on. How many 6-foot-7 pocket passers run a 4.5 40? If Mallett is so immobile, why didn't it show on the field? Cam Newton, who is an elite athlete, threw 280 passes last season and was sacked 23 times. Mallett threw 411 passes and was sacked 25 times.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/26/ryan.mallett/

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for him. There are better than 150 posts in a thread titled "What's Wrong with Mallett?"

Poor guy.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ya, Mallett is taking a pounding in this thread.

I have seen the guy play football every game for two years. I have seen him on interviews on TV for two years. I have heard the coach talk about him. Mallet can play football at a high level. The experts agree he has the best arm of the QBs in the draft. He was highly successful in the SEC. He is not dumb. He is a young man doing crazy things that many young men do. He will make it in the NFL based on his football ability not all the soap opera stuff being broadcast by reporters. In his interview with Gruden he did slouch in the chair and not sit at attention. That was interpreted to mean he did not care and put all over the net. Every thing he says and everything he does is being blown out of proportion. Teams are not dumb and some will see him as a quality QB in the NFL. He may not go in the first round but I would be all over him in round 2 because of what I saw of him personally and what I have heard from him personally. I think in 2-3 years he will be a starter in the NFL. He is one of those guys who some people find it easy to dislike.

Compared to Michael Vick he is saint but Michael Vick can still play football at a high level. The NFL will look past a lot of issues if you can play NFL football. The book is yet to be written on Ryan Mallet and his career. I see him going late in round 1 or early in round 2 regardless of all the garbage being released on the net. Maybe you guys were all smart and did all the right things when you were 20. I did neither and looking back I would be qualified to call my self a wild and crazy guy like Matt Leinart without the money or size or looks.

I do not understand why all the talk and press about Mallet anyway. Even before the recent events people had him as around the 4th best QB so he hardly deserves any press at all. He played two years of solid football in the SEC. He can play football when the bell rings. As with any QB we will know in a couple of years just who and what Ryan Mallet is. He will not be in prison nor will he be a drug addict. That is just not who Ryan Mallet is.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As outspoken as I am about Mallet, I would snatch him up in round 2.

I don't take him top 5, but the risk/reward in the second round would be fantastic.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Honestly, I think Mallet has a TON on talent, but everytime I see him I feel like he is the next Todd Marinovich...