What is wrong with Mallet?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ha, thanks for the half assed apology! I knew your maturity would shine through in the end.

To say they're the same may not be true, but to say they don't compare at all and to consider the comparison idiotic may speak to your football acumen. Guess these people should start watching them as well, since they don't compare at all...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/625448-nfl-scouting-combine-is-ryan-mallett-the-next-ben-roethlisberger

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2386

http://thecabin.net/interact/opinion/columns/2011-04-19/enigma-mystery-mallett-and-draft

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=2456

Oh, and the icing on the cake, KC Joyner, someone the "genius" community holds in high regard...

"Mallett, on the other hand, has shown that he is capable of operating a vertical-based NFL offense right out of the gate. His combination of size, long pass ability and a willingness to take chances in the vertical game are very reminiscent of Ben Roethlisberger."

http://nflmocks.com/2011/03/19/k-c-joyner-prefers-mallet-to-gabbert/

Maybe he should start watching some football.

Did you really just post a link to the website for "Log Cabin Democrats" as part of your justification for a foolish comparison? LOL.

KC Joyner is a tool; I'm not sure who in the "genius" community holds him in high regard, as you assert. He comes up with some interesting statistical analyses, but they're so colored by his own opinion of certain variables that they can't be trusted in the same way that FootballOutsiders.com's metrics can be.

I'm not even going to talk about TheBleacherReport or CDSDraft.com. That this is the first time I'm hearing about that site speaks to its relevance and acumen.

As I said, the comparison with Roethlisberger begins and ends with size and the fact that neither seems to be liked by his teammates. Roethlisberger has a good arm, but it doesn't compare to Mallett's.

To the final point about comparing sack numbers with Newton's; they're totally different animals. Newton is a spread-option quarterback; Mallett plays in a gimmick offense but not as much as the spread-option or pistol. When you operate out of the pocket exclusively (because Mallett couldn't get out of the pocket if he tried--not in the NFL), you're going to take fewer sacks than a guy who is going to run around and let his WRs get open.

Mallett has first-round physical ability, but his leadership qualities and off-the-field issues are comperable to Newton's. While Newton (and Roethlisberger for that matter) tend to rise to the occasion, Mallett has shrunk from the limelight and choked whenever the pressure came on.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As I said, the comparison with Roethlisberger begins and ends with size and the fact that neither seems to be liked by his teammates.

And it's perfectly fine to have that opinion. There are plenty of people out there who would say you're completely wrong, and you seem to completely ignore all the other factors that lead them to make the comparison. It certainly doesn't add to the discussion or debate, nor does your puerile and pathetic ad hominems, but you're the expert, and everyone else is idiotic and doesn't watch football.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And it's perfectly fine to have that opinion. There are plenty of people out there who would say you're completely wrong, and you seem to completely ignore all the other factors that lead them to make the comparison. It certainly doesn't add to the discussion or debate, nor does your puerile and pathetic ad hominems, but you're the expert, and everyone else is idiotic and doesn't watch football.

Somebody in a bad mood today?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ha, nope. Enjoying a lil Real/Barca while working. What's good in Texas?

Finally cooled off a little today. 95 degrees yesterday. Spring here in Austin lasted about 13 hours.

Getting me ready for the September tailgates in Glendale a little early this year. :)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Finally cooled off a little today. 95 degrees yesterday. Spring here in Austin lasted about 13 hours.

Hail, rain, 50 mph winds & tornados here yesterday, 70 2day in Big D Duck, but the heat & humidity are right around the corner. :bang:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hail, rain, 50 mph winds & tornados here yesterday, 70 2day in Big D Duck, but the heat & humidity are right around the corner. :bang:

No humidity today. Felt wonderful. What are you guys doing up there trying to be like St.Louis?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's been a horrible spring here as well. Rain and wind everyday. I've only played 27 holes of golf all year because of the weather :sad:. Actaully, I've only played about 4 holes. I don't know what you call what I did on the other 23.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I've only played 27 holes of golf all year because of the weather :sad:. Actaully, I've only played about 4 holes. I don't know what you call what I did on the other 23.

Your golf game is being punished for all the cheating going on with OSU football :D

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Your golf game is being punished for all the cheating going on with OSU football :D
I could just go the Tressell route and lie about my game. Btw, do you access to Gosselin's mock today?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's been a horrible spring here as well. Rain and wind everyday. I've only played 27 holes of golf all year because of the weather :sad:. Actaully, I've only played about 4 holes. I don't know what you call what I did on the other 23.

I'm probably the only one on the eastern seaboard that has absolutely loved this spring :)

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There are some character concerns, though I don't know what those supposed concerns are. Some question his intelligence and ability to make proper reads and go through his progressions.

We often mention character concerns. Are there any character concerns with Michael Vick? Does character really matter if you play big time football at a high level. Some of the best players in the NFL have been big bad guys with character issues. When you get to the bottom line it is can you play football.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There are some character concerns, though I don't know what those supposed concerns are. Some question his intelligence and ability to make proper reads and go through his progressions.

Mallet will be off the board by early in round 2 or late round 1. A lot of nonsense is floating around and getting a lot more press than it deserves. Most teams in need of a QB will pay little attention to what we read. They make their own judgements in the interviews and investigations which are like an FBI background check.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buzz coming out of Miami is that the Dolph brass has visited with Mallett 4 times this offseason - the inference being that, if they weren't that interested, they wouldn't have devoted that much time on him.

My latest mock (which flies in the face of conventional logic) has him going to Miami at #15.

"All it takes is one GM who loves him..."

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah but Petrino is a system coach where Tedford is a technique coach. Cal plays a pro set, people don't like how he teaches his QB's to hold the ball up high like that they think it makes them robotic and susceptible to fumbling when hit.

Petrino has sure done wonders for our Arkansas football team since he arrived. He was just given a 7 year extension to keep some other team from stealing him. He has become a local hero. He took us to one of the major bowls this year (sugar) and we look even better next year. The guy is flat out smart when it comes to football and he does run a pro set football game. Maybe he has not produced any NFL QB's but who has? He will have produced one after this year.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just like most of you I am all for doing what ever is necessary to get Luck, but we all know that is not going to happen.. so I want to know exactly what the heck is wrong with Mallet. Where is this bad wrap coming from. From everything I've seen he only had one ok to bad game and that was against Alabama? What the dilly yo?

Mallet Stats Are Better Than Gabbert in nearly every catagory. He also played in a tougher SEC conference who have won 6 out of 6 of the last national championships I think:

Stats Overview Passing
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP%YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2007 61 141 892 43.3 6.33 97 7 5 12 105.69
2009 225 403 3627 55.8 9.00 83 30 7 24 152.52
2010 266 411 3869 64.7 9.41 89 32 12 25 163.65

Gabbert Stats:

Stats Overview Passing
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP%YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2008 5 13 43 38.5 3.31 14 0 0 1 66.25
2009 262 445 3593 58.9 8.07 84 24 9 19 140.45
2010 301 475 3186 63.4 6.71 68 16 9 23 127.03

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well if the character issues have to do with his leaving Michigan, then we need to give him a medal for getting off that train wreck! I have been searching and all I could find is the same line about "I know stuff... blah, blah" Hey... It might be true, but there isn't anything to go on except the same quote working it's way around the net.

As for his footwork.. I can buy that argument. Prior to this year I would have said no problem, but judging by how Leinart and DA struggled with footwork the past few years I have zero confidence in our coaches ability to fix this particular issue.

Mallet left Michigan primarily because of the new coach. He did not like his style of play/coaching and was not sure he would be a starter. He knew he would become the starter at Arkansas, his home state, and where he was widely known from his high school days. If you look at Mallet strictly from his ability to play QB he clearly should be drafted in round one or two. His numbers are excellent, He has great size, very big arm, a lot success in the SEC. He has had some poblems as I suspect many of us may have had in college. Cam stole a computer, supposedly cheated on some exams, and surely had to know his father was trying to extract some money for having him to go to a college. That thing with his father worries me the most but are any of these things life altering events. The teams will have to make up their minds on these young men as to how they will mature. Can they be leaders? Some GM is going to like Ryan Mallet as he has all the tools and shown it on the field of play. GMs can get over some kid smoking a reefer or getting drunk. I sure got drunk on occasion in college. Fortunately I had no car. I hate smoke of any kind so no way I smoke dope. I still would like for us to draft Mallet in round 2 but do not think he will be there. To much talent. I think it very important we draft a QB in round 1 or round 2. After that the chances drop significantly for finding a keeper.

I remain stuck on Hasselback as a FA QB but have no idea about his health. He has been an excellent QB in past years so we know he has the possibility of having a few good years left. Palmer will cost to much, including draft choices. Kolb is basically a rookie who also wants a lot of money and will also cost draft choices. If we gave our #1 next year for Kolb we might actually be giving away Luck. Would that be ironic or what? I think the possibility exist we could end up one the three worst teams in the NFL next year and one of the odds on favorite to finish dead last. It all depends on our QB play not on who we draft but who we sign if we sign a FA QB.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Lombardi compared Mallet to a "better Bledsoe."

He stole that one from me.

and Mallett left Michigan because of Rich Rodriguez, who, BTW, got fired. That makes Mallet look like a good decision maker.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Mallett left Michigan because of Rich Rodriguez, who, BTW, got fired. That makes Mallet look like a good decision maker.
Not true. He left Michigan after he got a good look at Cam Heyward. Even going to Arkansas, Cam still found him :D.