Where are all the pro shaq fans and marion bashers now?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Marion isn't exactly putting up gaudy numbers with the Heat, and Shaq is putting up nice ones here.

I'm still for the trade, personally.

It's funny: before the trade everyone said the Suns' record against the West Playoff teams was a problem and that they wouldn't go anywhere because of it. Now, they're losing to the same teams with Shaq, and it was a bad trade? Not like they were any better before the trade, right?

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
no point in starting thread like this now

wait until it's set in stone that disaster has struck. it's not over YET

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They are here. Andrew and BeeBeard. talk to them.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Does anyone realize that Shaq is averaging a true double-double with a good FG% to go with it? Marion was close to a double double, but not actually there.

Also, the rebounding is significantly better with Shaq, despite all of Marin's "outstanding rebounding abilities."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's one thing for fans from opposing teams to be ignorant of the fact, but how can Suns fans conveniently forget that Shawn Marion was an awful playoff performer?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Every once in a while there's a post that makes me think, "Wait a minute, why in the hell do I not yet have that person on Ignore"?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
It's one thing for fans from opposing teams to be ignorant of the fact, but how can Suns fans conveniently forget that Shawn Marion was an awful playoff performer?

"That's just not true, the stats will back it up"- Chris Sanders

:)

Personally, I think that Marion is a fantastic stats-guy, but his impact on the game is less then the stats would have you believe.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

How can you forget that he wasn't awful? I don't want to put up stats for you, Chris likes doing that.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
"That's just not true, the stats will back it up"- Chris Sanders

:)

Personally, I think that Marion is a fantastic stats-guy, but his impact on the game is less then the stats would have you believe.
Agreed.

Plus, I just didn't see us winning it all before the trade. We may not after the trade either. But I'd rather have a GM who takes a risk than one is too scared to make a move.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My only concern with the trade or trades in general with the Suns, is that we seem to be responding to the market, not being the market leader in trades. Boston made big moves and retooled their whole team. LA went out and got Gasol ahead of other moves in the WC, imho, and everyone is playing catch up after that. If Gasol was available, why didn't the Suns pull the trigger? We backed out of the KG race, which I really can't blame us with his knee issues. Even trading for Shaq, we should have got involved and got him before he went to Miami, imho. I still think he's a great player, but he's only playing at about 60% of his ability two years ago. I'm hoping our doctors will remedy that over the summer. I just think the Suns don't have the vision to look ahead of the rest of the NBA. We aren't even the top scoring team in the NBA anymore. Everyone has seemingly caught up to the style we created.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Come playoff team we will forget Marions name, because of Shaq, even though Marion always was a choke job, in the playoffs

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How can you forget that he wasn't awful? I don't want to put up stats for you, Chris likes doing that.

Huh? Give me one playoff series where Marion was out of this world and won multiple games for us.

Shawn isn't an awful player, but he was NOT GOOD in the playoffs. Have you been sleeping for 9 years?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still very much for the trade, even with the struggles we are having right now.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Give me one playoff series where Marion was out of this world and won multiple games for us.

Shawn isn't an awful player, but he was NOT GOOD in the playoffs. Have you been sleeping for 9 years?

I submit to you the entire 05-06 playoff numbers for Marion. Not just one series, 3 series.

20.4 PPG, 11.7 RPG, 1.9 SPG 1.1 BPG, 49% shooting.

He had 1 bad year and wasn't great against the Spurs (though his struggles are drastically overstated).

He averaged 1 less point in the playoffs and 1 more rebound. Outside of that his game is virtually identical now from regular season to playoffs.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I submit to you the entire 05-06 playoff numbers for Marion. Not just one series, 3 series.

He had 1 bad year and wasn't great against the Spurs (though his struggles are drastically overstated).

He averaged 1 less point in the playoffs and 1 more rebound. Outside of that his game is virtually identical now from regular season to playoffs.

Reminds me of this post.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still very much for the trade, even with the struggles we are having right now.

The trade was and is terrible. We were taken to the cleaners like every trade that Steve Kerr has bungled. For as overpaid as Marion was (probably 4-5 million), Shaq is twice as much for twice as long.

We are the only team that trades away large expiring contracts and has to toss in draft picks, but then takes on stupid long term contracts and gets nothing in return.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are the only team that trades away large expiring contracts and has to toss in draft picks, but then takes on stupid long term contracts and gets nothing in return.

We did neither on this trade. :confused: I think getting Shaq is getting something in return.

I agree with what you mentioned, but neither of those apply here.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
To answer the original post, I am still a believer of the trade. It was clear we couldn't win it with Marion we had HUGE problems on the boards and interior defense. This trade could help with those issues. Now, we see that our front line defense is worse than what any of us would have guessed without Marion. Seriously, did anyone think Nash and Bell were that bad?!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq is a large long term negative contract that we got no additional assets in return for. Not even second round picks. It is a joke.

Reminds me of when we sold our pick for cash this last draft and I said "We should have gotten a second as well"

Some four draft picks later a team sold it's draft pick for cash and a second round pick. So our earlier pick was worth less than a later one. Nice job Kerr.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Marion was an OK performer in the playoffs, fans just wanted a go to guy like kobe or DWade for the max contract, thats not shawn. I still am for the shaq trade simply because the suns have too many big teams to beat in the west. The Jazz, spurs and lakers are all too big for the hill, marion, stat frontline. I would rather have had KT(or PJ) + marion than shaq, but that apparently wasnt the choice. Last years team plus grant hill would have been nice. As it is, the suns will need a big guy to even compete, let alone win a series out west. Shaqs impact will be known in about ten more games. The west is awful tough this year, there will be no easy series.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer the original post, I am still a believer of the trade. It was clear we couldn't win it with Marion we had HUGE problems on the boards and interior defense. This trade could help with those issues. Now, we see that our front line defense is worse than what any of us would have guessed without Marion. Seriously, did anyone think Nash and Bell were that bad?!

Yes I had been saying all year they were that bad. It was obvious if you watched the game. Amare is a big turd on defense as well.

Marion made everyone better defensively. It isn't disputable. He covered up a ton of our flaws.