Where will Finley end up?

If you had to bet your house on it, where will Finley play next season?

• Miami

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • San Antonio

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Phoenix

Votes: 40 58.0%
  • Minnesota

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its slow, and this seems like an obvious one.

If you had to bet your house on it, where do you think he will go?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
My heart says Phoenix, but my gut says Miami. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick, I'd say Miami.

I hope I'm wrong.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
If he wants a ring, San Antonio. He can remain in the same division and be on the best team. The annoyance factor to Cuban would be a bonus.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
reader said:
If he wants a ring, San Antonio. He can remain in the same division and be on the best team. The annoyance factor to Cuban would be a bonus.

We are assuming that Finley holds some sort of ill will towards Marc Cuban. I'm not sure that is necessarily the case. Surely he realizes that this was a move Cuban had to make.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miami can pay a lot more than the Suns - if they do a long term contract. If it's just a two year deal, the differential may not be enough to justify going to bad fit.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Miami can pay a lot more than the Suns - if they do a long term contract. If it's just a two year deal, the differential may not be enough to justify going to bad fit.

I don't think Miami and/or San Antonio are "bad fits". I just think that Michael Finley might be more comfortable playing here in the Phoenix Suns up-tempo style with his ex teammate Steve Nash. He would also be assured a starting position.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm guessing Phoenix. He won't play as much for the Spurs, plus he'll be seen as riding coat tails. In Miami, he'd have to play with Antoine Walker and Jason Williams. The problem in Phoenix now is that he has to wonder about playing time, but if he isn't confident that he can outplay the likes of Boris Diaw and James Jones for minutes, maybe the Suns don't want him anyway.

I wouldn't give any team better than a 50% chance, though, so I wouldn't bet my house unless you were giving me odds.

Edit: I just read on hoopshype a quote from Colangelo saying that "money will be a factor with" Finley and he isn't optimistic about the Suns' chances. So never mind, I take back what I just wrote. I guess it will be Miami. I wish him well; chemistry on that team is going to be a huge challenge.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Damn, I was leaning twords the Suns. But I never eveing factored in a long term contract...

Maimi is the winner if they offer him a 3-5 year deal.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I'm guessing Phoenix. He won't play as much for the Spurs, plus he'll be seen as riding coat tails. In Miami, he'd have to play with Antoine Walker and Jason Williams. The problem in Phoenix now is that he has to wonder about playing time, but if he isn't confident that he can outplay the likes of Boris Diaw and James Jones for minutes, maybe the Suns don't want him anyway.

I wouldn't give any team better than a 50% chance, though, so I wouldn't bet my house unless you were giving me odds.

Edit: I just read on hoopshype a quote from Colangelo saying that "money will be a factor with" Finley and he isn't optimistic about the Suns' chances. So never mind, I take back what I just wrote. I guess it will be Miami. I wish him well; chemistry on that team is going to be a huge challenge.

Yeah i just posted Bickleys article that contained that quote....Very sad news indeed

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Very sad news indeed

I guess. As Joe Mama has pointed out, getting Finley would create a major logjam for minutes. At this stage of his career, he's certainly better than the likes of Jones and Diaw, and probably Bell. But all three of those other players were acquired this summer by the Suns, to substantial fanfare, and all are hoping to part of the team's present, not just its future. Is Finely enough better to be worth that disruption? I'm not so sure.

Until this morning, I did think that Finley would come to Phoenix, so if it's turns out I was wrong, that's a bummer, since no one likes to be wrong. But in terms of the basketball product, I don't think it's a great loss. Let's see what the new guys can do.

Besides, if Finley doesn't come, that leaves a rotation spot available for a real backup PG, or even the ephereral young shot-blocking center with unrecognized potential whose name escapes me at the moment :p .

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Very sad news indeed

I guess. As Joe Mama has pointed out, getting Finley would create a major logjam for minutes. At this stage of his career, he's certainly better than the likes of Jones and Diaw, and probably Bell. But all three of those other players were acquired this summer by the Suns, to substantial fanfare, and all are hoping to part of the team's present, not just its future. Is Finely enough better to be worth that disruption? I'm not so sure.

Until this morning, I did think that Finley would come to Phoenix, so if it's turns out I was wrong, that's a bummer, since no one likes to be wrong. But in terms of the basketball product, I don't think it's a great loss. Let's see what the new guys can do.

Besides, if Finley doesn't come, that leaves a rotation spot available for a real backup PG, or even the ephereral young shot-blocking center with unrecognized potential whose name escapes me at the moment :p .

I think you are reffering to the indomitable Lonnie Jones........;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think you are reffering to the indomitable Lonnie Jones.......

Heh. I saw a little of Jones one or two summers ago, and I think he's more of a scorer than a shot blocker.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There's no choice for me to vote for. My choice would be Finley will end up in

HELL

if he doesn't come play for Phoenix! :mad:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
is the following a true statement???

While the Heat or spurs salary cap number may say that he is being paid 4.9 mil or 2.5 mil...he won't get that.

He has to pay 50% back of whatever he gets to dallas if it is over the vet minimum.

miami 4.9= 4.9-1.1=3.8/2=1.7, so fin's can get 4.9-1.7, or 3.2M from miami
sa 2.5=2.5-1.1=1.4/2=.7, so fin's can get 2.5-.7, or 1.8M from sa
phx = vet min=1,136,000

so the difference is package of miami and phoenix IS NOT about 4M/year, its actually about 2M/year. is this correct?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
playstation said:

While the Heat or spurs salary cap number may say that he is being paid 4.9 mil or 2.5 mil...he won't get that.

He has to pay 50% back of whatever he gets to dallas if it is over the vet minimum.

phx = vet min=1,136,000

so the difference is package of miami and phoenix IS NOT about 4M/year, its actually about 2M/year. is this correct?

That is how I understand it. The problem is that Miami can offer a multi-year deal.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:

phx = vet min=1,136,000

there's a problem with your calculations for what Miami can offer. 3.8/2 = 1.9 NOT 1.7. Therefore Michael Finley can get $3 million from Miami. However I thought the mid-level exception was $5.1 million.

Joe Mama

Errntknght

Reaction score
ArizonasFinest, "I think you are reffering to the indomitable Lonnie Jones........"

I don't know... I think we should refer to him as the ephemeral Lonnie Jones until there's, at least, as sighting...

Silverbullet

Reaction score
I still like our chances considering he has not decided yet. I still think he will be more comfortable with our style and starting at the 2 next to Nash. Money is always important but when your talking about less than 2m differance I just dont see it. We do have the MLE to work with next year and that could help. I know it is against the rules to discuss that at this point but I am pretty sure all partys are aware of that. I think it is between us and Miami with a slight edge to Phx.