whiz on ktar right now

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
Whiz on adding a RB......"eh I really don't think so"

he praises every other back on the roster (except Chris Vincent if you count him)

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pope is definetely on the bubble. Likely will only carry 3 TE's

Whiz likes Long and hopes he shows consistency.

Really likes LSH. He keeps making plays and showed well in blitz pickup last night.

Not concerned about Beanie at this point.

Alan Branch is having a good camp and is fighting for playing time.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Leinart may not play this weekend if Warner plays most of the first half. He wants to give BSC a fair chance to play like he did with Leinart last week. Palko will play the 4th quarter. Considers Brian and Matt to be equal at this point.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pope is definetely on the bubble. Likely will only carry 3 TE's

I think Pope finally gave the straw that broke the coaches backs with his missing the catch in the red zone in the preseason then missing one again last night in the live goal line stuff. Shows how fast things change becuase Pope was clearly the #1 when training camp started.

OP
OP
Linderbee

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Missed the beginning; not really much to add to the previous posts, but I'll give ya my notes anyway:

Q - Concerned about Beanie & do you think you may need to scour waiver wire.

A - Not concerned yet. If we get to the 3rd preseason game & he's still not getting touches, then he becomes more concerned, but does not feel we will need to scour waiver wire at all because we have enough depth.

Q - 4 Tight Ends?

A - It's coming down to our WR & RB situation. He really likes Lance Long. The chance of having 4 TEs is slim but not impossible. Some good players are going to be let go and that's a good position to be in. If Pope doesn't pick up his game he won't make the club.

Q - Battle for back-up QB? Is Leinart playing Sat?

A - It is planned that ML will play the 3rd and Palko in the 4th but if KW is in for most of the 1st half, then ML might not play. Competition is still close & both have done well in camp.

Q - Alan Branch on the bubble?

A - He knew it coming into camp; they've been very clear with him. He came into camp in good shape, weight down, and ready to go. His mentality is that he is fighting for playing time, not a roster spot, which is the right mentality to have.

Q - Are you expecting great things from the defense this year?

A- Based off 1 qtr of preseason play, yes. The secondary is stronger and the line is playing together better.

Q - What was the end of the year run like for you?

A - I knew what to expect and do when we made the playoffs. Expectations are to do that every year and get players on the same page. We know we can do it if we go at it as a TEAM.

Q - Did you enjoy calling the plays?

A - Yes; it's fun & I didn't realize how much I missed it. Really gets the juices pumping.

Q - Do we need to run more?

A - We'd like a more balanced attack, but only so that we can run when we WANT to, not because we HAVE to. When we are in situation that we want to run (burning time at the end of the 4th, etc) we want to be able to do that effectively.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Pope finally gave the straw that broke the coaches backs with his missing the catch in the red zone in the preseason then missing one again last night in the live goal line stuff. Shows how fast things change becuase Pope was clearly the #1 when training camp started.

Pope has got to go.. He can't catch, can't run, poor blocker... might as well have a guy that can at least catch and that is Byrd.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
So basically Matt could be punished for doing well? Not giving him the opportunity to play while letting BSP redeem himself? How can the two be equal at this point? BSP is a waste of roster space and Whis' love for him is getting old.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? BSP hate? That's very odd. Not many better third-string QBs than BSP IMO. He's been here, he knows the system, he's competent, and he's not a locker room problem. I imagine him being a good guy to have in the film room.

Why the BSP hate?

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Really? BSP hate? That's very odd. Not many better third-string QBs than BSP IMO. He's been here, he knows the system, he's competent, and he's not a locker room problem. I imagine him being a good guy to have in the film room.

Why the BSP hate?

He is now and always should be a 3rd QB. I wouldn't hate him if Whis wouldn't prop him up as a possible 2nd QB. He stunk out loud. Maybe saying he is a waste of roster space is a little dramatic.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the fill-in folks. I just got back from the Dr. office and missed all this. Glad to hear about Whiz being satisfied with our RB roster at this time.

I'm also happy he is only looking to keep 3 TE's at this time. I'm convinced that we WILL need to cut some talent at the end of pre-season, but I am also sold on the approach that Whiz has taken with the competition for jobs route, and feel totally confiident that this is actually a good thing, (though it will be hard to do). I trust this staff like NO other staff we have had, and I believe that they will continue to work together for the common good.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Leinart possibly not playing part seems odd to me. If you want to give BSP and Leinart an equal shot, why play Palko at all?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope BSP fails miserably on Saturday. Whiz isn't as smart as everyone thinks. Don't let the 9-7 and subsequent Super Bowl fool you. His arrogance was an issue in Pittsburgh and it is an issue here.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I hope BSP fails miserably on Saturday. Whiz isn't as smart as everyone thinks. Don't let the 9-7 and subsequent Super Bowl fool you. His arrogance was an issue in Pittsburgh and it is an issue here.
i've never heard that before. I don't want BSP to fail miserably. I just don't think he's all that good and Whiz is giving him a fair shot. It's hard to say "don't let Super Bowl fool you", we're talking about the Cardinals here. I don't care if Whiz is the most arrogant SOB on the planet if it gets us a SB win.

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

What!!!!!!!!!

BigOX

Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Leinart may not play this weekend if Warner plays most of the first half. He wants to give BSC a fair chance to play like he did with Leinart last week. Palko will play the 4th quarter. Considers Brian and Matt to be equal at this point.

Good! If Matt isn't going to see the field until the scrubs are in, better that he doesn't even play! That way, he won't get destroyed behind Oliver 'Turnstile' Ross.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Surely Whiz is saying their equal to keep both guys amped up as much as possible. Its a little disconcerting, but I'm pretty confident he'll make the right call.

Pretty funny that the main issue this year is who is the number two qb. I guess looking at Warner's age, it's not too trivial an issue.

Have to like our chances this year. I think we might be a better team than we were last year.

bleedingred

Registered
Reaction score
Defense will be solid this year. Matty sits as 2, Whis told BSP that he would be competing for the job. Whis held his word, Matty won...plain as that. There are other issues that are more relevant than this.

I'm not buying into this.

bleedingred

Registered
Reaction score
Whis brought a nice touch today. When asked if this team is better suited for a playoff run than last years team...Whis responded with the fact that last years team had to be taught that they could win...this years team knows they can win. Great interview!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not getting too hyped up on Whisenhunt just yet. Vince Tobin took over a team in total disarray and within 3 seasons had them in the 2nd round of the playoffs with half the talent the current team has.

Within a year the team was again in disarray and we witnessed 7 years of some of the worst football any NFL team has ever seen.

Whisenhunt won with Denny's guys and Whiz' draft picks and some of the personnel moves have me really concerned and covering over potential problems with "he took us to the super bowl" just doesn't work for me. So I'm going to wait awhile before I anoint him a genius in the personnel department.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
we witnessed 7 years of some of the worst football any NFL team has ever seen.

Can we just pretend those 7 years never happened? That Dave McGinnis was never our coach? Everytime you bring it up its like picking at a scab

Can a football team give you PTSD?

;)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Can we just pretend those 7 years never happened? That Dave McGinnis was never our coach? Everytime you bring it up its like picking at a scab

Can a football team give you PTSD?

;)

Yes. My therapist will validate that.