Who Played the Greatest Game you ever saw.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
#1) Mine would be Super Bowl III. Joe Namath picking the Colts apart. The Guarantee.

#2) In another Playoff game a long time ago, like the late 70's. Ed Podolak a RB for the Chiefs ran roughshod over a good Miami defence for well over 200 yards and the Chiefs beat them in OT. One of the best games I ever saw. It was during Miami's heyday. He kept breaking big runs and scoring and got better as the game wore on.

#3) Best Defensive effort - individually is a hard one. Probobly Lawrence Taylor. I've yet to see anyone dominate like he could. He probobly beat the 49ers in the Playoffs a couple times, almost single handedly.

Best Defensive Team - That 85 Bears Team was Tough.
The 1973 Undefeated "No Name" Dolphins Defense. They defeated the Redskins 14-7 in the SB to complete the only undefeated season (17-0). The only TD surrendered - the Garo Yepremian (kickers) ill attempted pass.

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1998 Playoffs, Cardinals at Cowboys

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
(1) Mid 80s Vikings team backed into the playoffs went to SF at the height of their dynasty and they were the best team that year and they blew them out.

(2) The Ahmad Rashad Hail Mary Catch vs CLE to get the Vikes into the playoffs (late 70s early 80s).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nov. 16th 1975 Overtime win vs redskins 20-17. Mel Gray catches TD pass with 25 seconds left in regulation.

2. 16-13 win over SD in 1998 (watched in a sports bar in Alb. NM)
3. 20-7 win over Dallas in 1998 playoffs
4. 24-23 win over SF in 1988 after being down 23-0
5. 25-22 win over Dallas in 1997 in OT at the old "Cards Corner" get together. Ends Dallas 13 game win streak.

Not involving the Cards -- for me would be the San Diego-Miami Kellen Winslow Sr. game.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Not involving the Cards -- for me would be the San Diego-Miami Kellen Winslow Sr. game.
greatest game ever played not involving the Cards, IMO.

Miami had that hook and lateral for a TD as the 1st half expired.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
**On TV**
Buffalo Bills comeback vs Houston Oilers
Oakland Raiders vs New England Patriots (Snow Game)
2003 Fiesta Bowl: Ohio State defeats Miami

**Live** (haven't seen much live football)
Week 17 2003: Arizona Cardinals defeat Minnesota Vikings
Northern Arizona University vs Weber State in 1996, NAU RB Archie Amerson scores 7 TDs for 42 points.

A-Bomb

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
**On TV**
Buffalo Bills comeback vs Houston Oilers

A-Bomb
worst freaking game of my life. Thanks for the memory!

bad times....bad times

:mad: :hammer: :moon: :bang: :computer:

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Nov. 16th 1975 Overtime win vs redskins 20-17. Mel Gray catches TD pass with 25 seconds left in regulation.

2. 16-13 win over SD in 1998 (watched in a sports bar in Alb. NM)
3. 20-7 win over Dallas in 1998 playoffs
5. 25-22 win over Dallas in 1997 in OT at the old "Cards Corner" get together. Ends Dallas 13 game win streak.

I believe #5 was when we rushed the field, tore the goal post down and marched it around the stadium, THAT WAS THE MOST EXCITING SPORTS MOMENT OF MY LIFE and the game didn't even mean anything.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The Question Reads (or should read), Who (What Player) Played The Greatest Game You Ever Saw?

If you want, after that you can put the best game you have seen in your lifetime. :thumbup:

Last edited:

seesred

Reaction score
In football it was Niel Lomax in 1988 against the 49rs. Down by three touchdowns late in the fourth quarter at Sun Devil he brought our Cards all the way back for the victory. Second best I was at our win in 1998 against the Cowboys. What agreat week end!

In Baseball it was Johnny Podres in the 7th game of the 1955 world series betweenm the Dodgers and Yanks. The Brooklyn Dodgers had never won a world series all though they had been there many, many times. Podres shut out the hated Yanks 2 -0 a complete game victory.

In Basketball it was the sixtrh game of the championship series betwee MJ bulls and Barkleys Suns.It came down to a heartbreaking final shot and that was that.

GBR

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
1998 Playoffs, Cardinals at Cowboys

Excellent game. I remember the night before the game I had a terrible dream that the Cards came and got blown out. Thank God that didn't happen. From the shovel pass for the touchdown to Frank Sanders amazing catch across the middle, that was a textbook performance. God that year was fun, from that game, to the New Orleans game, and finally the San Diego game...

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All were in person!

*In football saw Gayle Sayers score 6 tds against my(at that time) San Francisco 49ers.

* In basketball saw Wilt Chamberlein help win the NBA championship for the 76ers against the San Francisco Warriors. (Also saw Jordan beat the Suns in the finals)

* In baseball saw Kirk Gibson (L.A. Dodgers) hit the historic home run to win game one against the Oakland A's in the world series.

You can tell that I am an old timer!
:wave:

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Four of my friends and I had a marathon game of Axis and Allies a few years back. The Allies started strong and had the Axis very weakened (I was playing Japan), but eventually we came back and conquered the world. The game lasted about 6 hours. It was truely a great game.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
98 win to make the playoffs, 98 win in play offs over Dallas, 84 last game of the year in RFK if Big Red won they won the East if they lost they did not make the playoffs. It was exciting high offense game. Back and forth. I believe that game was Cardinal record for passing yds for Lomax. Record since passed by Boomer. It was awesome edge of the seat game but had bad ending. Lomax was a Football God in that game. My life would not have been complete had I not seen that game. Unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Lomax come back in AZ against SF was awesome too.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Two other games stand out as well. In mid 70's Cardinals were on Monday Night Football (Cosell, Meredith, and Gifford) playing the Redskins in RFK on a night where it had rained nonstop all day. Cards were wearing the all road white. Cards lost and they and Redskins set record for fumbles but it was THE mud game. Also in mid 70s I was a kid and it was Halloween but I stayed home because the Big Red was on Monday Night Football in Dallas. The Cardinals smoked the favored Cowboys 38-0. It was awesome. Best Halloween ever.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
az jam said:
All were in person!

*In football saw Gayle Sayers score 6 tds against my(at that time) San Francisco 49ers.

* In basketball saw Wilt Chamberlein help win the NBA championship for the 76ers against the San Francisco Warriors. (Also saw Jordan beat the Suns in the finals)

* In baseball saw Kirk Gibson (L.A. Dodgers) hit the historic home run to win game one against the Oakland A's in the world series.

You can tell that I am an old timer!
:wave:

Awsome. I saw footage of Sayers' game against SF. It was raining that day too. His cuts were something of legend. He was unstopable.

Sayers also returned kickoffs, something the backs don't do nowadays.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
[

Not involving the Cards -- for me would be the San Diego-Miami Kellen Winslow Sr. game.[/QUOTE]
I forgot about those two. The SF game was especially sweet, as I was there with a SF fan.

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
Christmas Day 1971 Kansas City vs. Miami and the performance of Chief halfback Ed Podolak. His work in the running game, return game, and passing game was first ballot "hall of fame" material that day. I always watch this game on NFL Films when it's replayed just to see the work of Podolak in that particular game.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ameche scores winning TD to power Colts over Giants in Championship game (in person)

Oakland beats Colts in triple OT off Casper's catch (in person)

Oakland - Miami thriller (with Kellen Winslow literally crawling off the field more than a few times) (on TV)

Cards beat team sack record against Colts (in person)

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey, BIG RED

I remember the "blow-out" of Dallas 38-0. SWEET!! ...And in 77' we came back from (14-3 ) down to Dallas & won (24-17). I had that clipping on my wall for years. Nice memories. But I have a feelin' these "NEW" Cards are going to provide some more in the days ahead. :thumbup:

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Re: the 84' loss to the Redskins

We got TOTALLY screwed on the roughing the passer penalty on Theisman when it was 3rd & 17 on the drive near the end that led to Mosley's FG. I remember Madden going beserk because it was such a pansy-call. Also, that day, WE had (10) penalities!! The Redskins?? (0)!! Can we say, "FIX"?? Let's be honest here. The "zebras" can thrown a flag ANY time they feel like it, and I've seen a number of "questionable" calls go AGAINST the Cards over the years. I remember one game against the Giants where we didn't get the call on a R. Green catch where he dragged his toe in-bounds. After the game, Neil Lomax said, "Losers don't get calls". Makes you wonder. So, my view is DON'T put yourself in a position where a call can determine the game. GO CARDS!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember the "blow-out" of Dallas 38-0. SWEET!!
I totally forgot about that one!

Best part of that it was on Monday Night Football, and (as legend has it) the further ahead we got, the more alcohol the late Howard Cosell (who many of us felt shilled shamelessly for "America's Team") apparently put away. (The entire contents of his stomach were said to have wound up on the stadium floor during halftime).

"The Gif" opened up the second half by saying: "Howard is a little under the weather and will be unable to join us for the remainder of the game."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05