Who will the Suns draft at #13?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He still can be in a sign and trade since the Suns held his rights from last year.

Here is the item about Aaron Brooks that was in question explained from a Paul Coro blog at azcentral dated 6-25-12.

* The Suns will put in the required tender offers on Robin Lopez and Aaron Brooks this week to make them restricted free agents. Any team will be able to recruit Lopez and Brooks. When either or both signs an offer sheet, the Suns will have the ability to match the contract to keep Lopez or bring back Brooks. The Suns can’t execute a sign-and-trade deal on Brooks because he was not on the team’s payroll last season.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/165158

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't get the sudden intrigue of Moultrie from this board and the Sun's. If we do get an extra first round pick, I would rather gamble on talents like Perry Jones III, Jared Sullinger, and Royce White.

I agree and here is the reason why. Moutrie is an offensive machine who can rebound and has great measurables the big flaw is despite his height, wingspan, explosiveness and leaping ability the guy averaged less than a block a game, that is insane in a bad way. Defense is his flaw and it shouldn't be.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree and here is the reason why. Moutrie is an offensive machine who can rebound and has great measurables the big flaw is despite his height, wingspan, explosiveness and leaping ability the guy averaged less than a block a game, that is insane in a bad way. Defense is his flaw and it shouldn't be.

Rebounding is defense. Blocks are only one aspect of defense. Curious how he does with man defense.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Aran Smith: We're hearing Bryan Colangelo and the Raptors are leaning towards Austin Rivers over Dion Waiters at 8. Twitter

Good news for us but Waiters would likely never make it past Portland at #11, Houston at #12.

Detroit #9 or New Orleans #10 look like unlikely destinations for Waiters.

Now there are rumors Waiters could go as high as #4.

If the Suns really want him they better make sure they get him it seems..

But if they moved up that high I would be upset if they passed on Drummond for instance.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Aran Smith: We're hearing Bryan Colangelo and the Raptors are leaning towards Austin Rivers over Dion Waiters at 8. Twitter

Good news for us but Waiters would likely never make it past Portland at #11, Houston at #12.

Detroit #9 or New Orleans #10 look like unlikely destinations for Waiters.

Now there are rumors Waiters could go as high as #4.

If the Suns really want him they better make sure they get him it seems..

But if they moved up that high I would be upset if they passed on Drummond for instance.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns don't usually draft players they didn't personally work out. Both Ross and Rivers refused to come to Phoenix for a workout. Rivers will likely go top-10, but Ross will likely still be available, so his decision not to work out for the Suns is rather curious.

Lottery prospects the Suns worked out:

• John Henson
  • Perry Jones
  • Meyers Leonard
  • Arnett Moultrie (2)
  • Tyler Zeller
  • Kendall Marshall (2)
  • Dion Waiters
  • Jeremy Lamb
Other likely 1st rounders worked out:

• Jeffrey Taylor
  • Fab Melo
  • Andrew Nicholson

Did not work out:

• Andre Drummond (not expected to drop that far)
  • Damian Lillard (very likely gone)
  • Austin Rivers (refused to come, likely top-10)
  • Terrence Ross (refused to come)
  • Jared Sullinger

I see several mock drafts predicting the Suns drafting Ross, but I just don't see it. Even if Rivers, Weiters and Lamb are off the board, the Suns will still have Moultrie or Marshall to choose from, both of whom they have worked out twice. I see the Suns passing on Ross.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Both Moultrie and Marshall are HUGE reaches at #13 that's why most mock drafts have the Suns passing on them.

But of course Phoenix FO is stupid, so they may do it.

And when did Dion Waiters work out for the Suns? I thought he cancelled all his workouts at the draft combine itself...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Because the Suns do not just workout the players that come to Phoenix..

There are things like private workouts and team workouts and the Suns watched Waiters workout in Las Vegas in May.

Moultrie and Marshall are not reaches at #13. They are likely to go between #9 and #17.

Moultrie looks like a good possibility at #9 and Marshall looks like a serious candidate for #10.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see several mock drafts predicting the Suns drafting Ross, but I just don't see it. Even if Rivers, Weiters and Lamb are off the board, the Suns will still have Moultrie or Marshall to choose from, both of whom they have worked out twice. I see the Suns passing on Ross.

I agree about the Suns likely passing on Ross. If Marshall were more athletic I could see him being the Suns pick. His lateral quickness and inability to defend worry me. Down deep I hope the Suns are not thinking Steve Nash when they look at Marshall. Lamb or Moultrie are what I am thinking right now or even another big if one slides.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about the Suns likely passing on Ross. If Marshall were more athletic I could see him being the Suns pick. His lateral quickness and inability to defend worry me. Down deep I hope the Suns are not thinking Steve Nash when they look at Marshall. Lamb or Moultrie are what I am thinking right now or even another big if one slides.

I think they are making a mistake if they pass on Ross if he is there. I like both him and Jeremy Lamb. If they were both there I would flip a coin and hoping just a little that it landed on Ross's side.

Joe

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just noticed that Jeremy Lamb has been compared to Reggie Miller on nbadraft.net.

Wow!

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because the Suns do not just workout the players that come to Phoenix..

There are things like private workouts and team workouts and the Suns watched Waiters workout in Las Vegas in May.

Moultrie and Marshall are not reaches at #13. They are likely to go between #9 and #17.

Moultrie looks like a good possibility at #9 and Marshall looks like a serious candidate for #10.

Moultrie is not going 9, it will be either John Henson or Andre Drummond.. unless they are BOTH off the board, then who knows, but it is a pretty good lock that it will be one of those two at 9

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From Gambo's twitter:

Hearing Suns pick should come down to Kendall Marshall or Jeremy Lamb. And slight edge to Marshall right now.

Suns like Moultrie but not over Marshall or Lamb plus they took a power forward last year in Markieff Morris so I don't see that happening

actually they do see him as a major liability defensively which is why Lamb still in picture at 13.
Say what you want about his sources but he always calls the Suns pick before the draft.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well isn't Gambo BFFs with Sarver? It would make sense for his Suns predictions to be right. Anyhow, of those two I'm praying for Lamb, much more upside than the limited Marshall.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I think they are making a mistake if they pass on Ross if he is there. I like both him and Jeremy Lamb. If they were both there I would flip a coin and hoping just a little that it landed on Ross's side.

Joe

Ross would be ideal. I'd probably prefer Lamb over Kendall Marshall because I'd like a player like Goran Dragic, via Free Agency... but that's just me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Gambo's twitter:

Say what you want about his sources but he always calls the Suns pick before the draft.

Gambo or no Gambo, here is my opinion.

Lamb seems like he has star potential if he develops further physically. I think Marshall has a good future as a backup PG. I still think the Suns can do just as good in free agency at PG.

What I don't want to hear out of the Suns mouth is they selected Marshall as the "safe" pick. Yes, he is a safe pick but the upside is not Steve Nash if that is what they are hoping. The NBA is now a league of athletes. Also I'm not sold Morris should be the Suns starting PF. He has trouble getting up his shot in traffic due to lack of length.

I will try to make happy whoever the Suns draft but they desperately need more picks.

Also I wonder if the Suns can find a way to get Waiters from Toronto if they select him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo or no Gambo, here is my opinion.

Lamb seems like he has star potential if he develops further physically. I think Marshall has a good future as a backup PG. I still think the Suns can do just as good in free agency at PG.

What I don't want to hear out of the Suns mouth is they selected Marshall as the "safe" pick. Yes, he is a safe pick but the upside is not Steve Nash if that is what they are hoping. The NBA is now a league of athletes. Also I'm not sold Morris should be the Suns starting PF. He has trouble getting up his shot in traffic due to lack of length.

I will try to make happy whoever the Suns draft but they desperately need more picks.

Also I wonder if the Suns can find a way to get Waiters from Toronto if they select him.

Lamb is probably the one player of the top 15 or so that I would be most disappointed in getting. The criticism is that he just disappears in crunch time.

It should be pretty hard to screw this up. There are alot of good players with similar skill levels. Just pick the best one that falls to you and don't try to be too cute.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well isn't Gambo BFFs with Sarver? It would make sense for his Suns predictions to be right. Anyhow, of those two I'm praying for Lamb, much more upside than the limited Marshall.

Amusing that one of the criticisms of Moultrie is defense, yet they're still interested in Marshall, who NBA pg's will dust left and right.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amusing that one of the criticisms of Moultrie is defense, yet they're still interested in Marshall, who NBA pg's will dust left and right.

Yes. Moultrie can do one proven thing that translates to the NBA... rebound. Also he has tremendous upside in improving his game including defense because he is athletic. I'm not seeing the same upside with Marshall.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
watching some video of Marshall left me unimpresses, his lack of athleticism was shocking. BUT there are some good players in the NBA right now who have more talent than athleticism and are able to be productive and contribute.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lamb is everything the Suns did not want in a 2-guard..

Little creativity, can't create, plays off the ball, passive demeanor...

They wanted someone that could create offense for himself, take big shots in crunch time, an agressive scorer.. everything that Lamb is not.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lamb is everything the Suns did not want in a 2-guard..

Little creativity, can't create, plays off the ball, passive demeanor...

They wanted someone that could create offense for himself, take big shots in crunch time, an agressive scorer.. everything that Lamb is not.

Wow. I agree with you. I am shocked.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If the Suns take Lamb it shows how little direction or guts they have to trade up for someone that fit their description.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05