Who will the Suns draft at #13?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw it looks like there is a very real possibility of Andre Drummond dropping as far as #9.

If Drummond is still on the board at #5, #6, #7 and #8 the Suns better make every call they can to get that pick.

Drummond is the only other potential franchise changer in this draft and really should be the #2 pick. The question about his motor are just silly. He is simply a good kid and well the 2nd youngest player in the draft.

Imo Markieff + #13 should be able to get us up a few spots. Or Dudley and #13 or Gortat.

Would Toronto trade #8 for Gortat? Detroit #9? Portland #6? I would think there is a chance. Maybe even Golden State.. they have a need for a player like Dudley as does Sacramento.

Gortat, Dudley # 13 for Evans and #5? Evans has very low value I think.

I think the Suns best chance to move up in the draft is to deal with Toronto. They have made it clear they would be willing to move the #8 pick.

Also it might bode well being able to do a sign and trade with them for Steve Nash in free agency.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is absolutely scared of the team slinslin would put together if he were in charge? ;)

If I were GM I would have him working in scouting. :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you watch PJ3 try and play man? Really any of the Baylor players actually?

Edit: Also, Jackson was a pretty good distributor. PJ3 just doesn't post up.

Honestly, I did not watch Baylor at all. I have watched highlights and PJ3 athleticism and skill level is obvious. But I just do not know enough to make a real evaluation. That's why I posted this link.

He's sort of reminding me of Michael Finley. Remember how he slid because of a bad situation is last year in college.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baylors system was a disaster that is why I was shocked that PJIII did not come out last year.

It was that bad and did not get better without Lacedarius.

I do not understand why top 5 type players do not come out. If they are already well off like Andrew Luck, it might make sense, but otherwise there are just too many things that can go wrong.

They can always go back and finish their degree in the off-season. PJ3 threw away several million potentially by that decision.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think the Suns best chance to move up in the draft is to deal with Toronto. They have made it clear they would be willing to move the #8 pick.

Also it might bode well being able to do a sign and trade with them for Steve Nash in free agency.

If they knew they were getting Nash it would certainly make a ton of sense to offer #8 and Calderon for Gortat or something like that. They get a working combo.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they knew they were getting Nash it would certainly make a ton of sense to offer #8 and Calderon for Gortat or something like that. They get a working combo.

Since Nash is a FA it would have to be two separate trades unless Nash signs with Toronto as a FA. I'm not liking trading Gortat for Calderon and #8. There would have to be a tremendous player there at #8 since Toronto would want to move Calderon's contract anyway if they signed Nash. The Suns can sign a FA PG without the strings. The trade would essentially be trading Gortat for #8 which is likely not a good deal for the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the present green room invites (14) per DraftExpress.com. This is usually fairly accurate.

UNC F Harrison Barnes
Florida G Bradley Beal
Kentucky F/C Anthony Davis
UConn C Andre Drummond
UNC F John Henson
Kentucky F Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
UConn G Jeremy Lamb
Illinois C Meyers Leonard
Weber State G Damian Lillard
Duke G Austin Rivers
Kansas F Thomas Robinson
Washington F Terrence Ross
Syracuse G Dion Waiters
UNC C Tyler Zeller

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...-players-invited-to-2012-nba-draft-green-room

Per Paul Coro on twitter, Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro:

Of the 14 who @DraftExpress reported got Green Room invites, the #13-picking #Suns had Henson, Lamb, Leonard & Zeller in PHX for workouts.

So does this say something about who the Suns select at #13. Is it among Henson, Lamb, Leonard and Zeller?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here are the present green room invites (14) per DraftExpress.com. This is usually fairly accurate.

UNC F Harrison Barnes
Florida G Bradley Beal
Kentucky F/C Anthony Davis
UConn C Andre Drummond
UNC F John Henson
Kentucky F Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
UConn G Jeremy Lamb
Illinois C Meyers Leonard
Weber State G Damian Lillard
Duke G Austin Rivers
Kansas F Thomas Robinson
Washington F Terrence Ross
Syracuse G Dion Waiters
UNC C Tyler Zeller

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...-players-invited-to-2012-nba-draft-green-room

Per Paul Coro on twitter, Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro:

So does this say something about who the Suns select at #13. Is it among Henson, Lamb, Leonard and Zeller?

Here is what is sure, one or more of those players will be available. I am not sure the Suns will draft any of them. I think they like Moultrie. If anything, we have seen in past years that the name that keeps popping up prior to the draft is the one they pick. I think they are also interested in Marshall.

My vote for the last one in the green room will be John Henson.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you watch PJ3 try and play man? Really any of the Baylor players actually?

Edit: Also, Jackson was a pretty good distributor. PJ3 just doesn't post up.

Agreed he's just soft. If there's a kid in the draft IMHO who was hurt by the system it was Beal, not that Florida's system isn't sound, but they had no PG they had 2 SG's who stopped the ball and jacked up a ton of 3's in Walker and Boynton. Beal is a born scorer but you gotta get the ball to score.

Jones, he's athletic and talented, but he just seems soft, doesn't want to work to get open.

Warriors were VERY unimpressed with his workout from what I read.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not understand why top 5 type players do not come out. If they are already well off like Andrew Luck, it might make sense, but otherwise there are just too many things that can go wrong.

They can always go back and finish their degree in the off-season. PJ3 threw away several million potentially by that decision.

My guess with him is he felt obligated to come back because Baylor stuck with him when the NCAA suspended him?

Basically Baylor went out of their way to help defend a kid they assumed was going pro anyways.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't have a problem with Marshall or Moultrie. When Marshall is on the floor, he owns it. He takes command, directs players, sets them up, and plays with a confidence that you just cannot teach. I don't think his shooting is that bad and it is one of the things that can improve in the NBA (Majerle did a great job of improving).

As I research Moultrie, the motor problem seems to be an inability to pace himself. He plays all-out, then runs out of gas, and then takes a play off. That's not the same thing as disappearing through disinterest like Earl Clark did.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Simmons on the Suns Pick -

"Did you notice we totally screwed over Phoenix with the 13th pick? They wanted a perimeter scorer — suddenly, only Jeremy Lamb is on the board, someone described by my dad yesterday as "Jeremy Lamb … is that the Lamb who always disappeared in big moments for UConn, or is that the other Lamb?" Sounds perfect for the Suns — they're not going to have any big moments for years to come. I'm picking Jeremy Lamb."

Good times!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what I know on who will be available, the Suns need to suck it up and go with a big man like Moultrie. As in football, the Suns need to take what the defense gives you. Big men can always be traded for smalls.

One of the other centers might be possibilities.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on what I know on who will be available, the Suns need to suck it up and go with a big man like Moultrie. As in football, the Suns need to take what the defense gives you. Big men can always be traded for smalls.

One of the other centers might be possibilities.

If we want a perimeter scorer, we can always resign Brooks. He might not be the answer at pg, but the kid can score in bunches and change the pace of a game. Not a bad option off the bench.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would like to see the Suns maybe pick up one of Portland's 2nd rounders and give Acy from Baylor a try.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am still going with Perry Jones III, I am just worried he might be Earl Clark 2.0

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we want a perimeter scorer, we can always resign Brooks. He might not be the answer at pg, but the kid can score in bunches and change the pace of a game. Not a bad option off the bench.

If Brooks would be willing to play off the bench or compete for the starting position if Nash leaves, I would be open to it. Naturally Nash wants to start wherever he plays. Too bad Brooks cannot be used in a sign and trade. Perhaps he could after enough time passes under the new CBA.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If Brooks would be willing to play off the bench or compete for the starting position if Nash leaves, I would be open to it. Naturally Nash wants to start wherever he plays. Too bad Brooks cannot be used in a sign and trade. Perhaps he could after enough time passes under the new CBA.

He still can be in a sign and trade since the Suns held his rights from last year.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No he can't because he didn't finish last season on the Suns payroll.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He still can be in a sign and trade since the Suns held his rights from last year.

Not from what I have read. He is not eligible for a sign and trade because he was not on the Suns roster last season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he can't because he didn't finish last season on the Suns payroll.

Sorry sunsfan88, I didn't mean to be an echo. Somehow I must have skipped over your post.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Today, under the steady leadership of NBPA Executive Director G. William Hunter, union members enjoy the highest salaries and most expansive benefits of any labor organization in the world, with the average NBA player's salary at $5.5 million.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05