Who will the Suns draft at #13?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Waiter's numbers are actually quite good. He only averaged 24 minutes a game. His scoring average for last year were 12.6, assists - 2.6, rebounds - 2.3, steals 1.8, turnovers 1.3. If you take those numbers out to 48 minutes his averages:

Points - 25.2 Per Game
Assists - 5.2 Per Game
Rebounds - 4.6 Per Game
Steals - 3.6 Per Game
Turnovers - 2.6 Per Game

Not too shabby!

You must be registered for see images attach

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Moultrie and all, but really, picking him at #13 a year after you pick Morris at #13 and are soo hihgh on him is the exact lack of vision and direction that has made the Suns the laughing stock of the league..

Drafting a PF when they could use a PG/SG/SF is exactly what I have come to expect from this FO.. So Moultrie will be the pick...

And again for the record, our biggest need is a scoring guard, the deepest position in this draft is scoring SGs, Memo to our FO, DRAFT A SG and secure another pick to get Moultrie...

Rivers/Ross/Lamb/Waiters get your favorite from who is left on draft day and then buy another pick (trade?) and grab Moultrie..

I think that must be way too much to ask, but it is worth dreaming about

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think we will draft Ross at #13 unless Rivers or Waiters drop.

Then we will look to get another pick to draft Marshall or Moultrie or even both. That would be fantastic obviously to end up fir Marshall, Ross and Moultrie.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Moultrie and all, but really, picking him at #13 a year after you pick Morris at #13 and are soo hihgh on him is the exact lack of vision and direction that has made the Suns the laughing stock of the league..

Drafting a PF when they could use a PG/SG/SF is exactly what I have come to expect from this FO.. So Moultrie will be the pick...

And again for the record, our biggest need is a scoring guard, the deepest position in this draft is scoring SGs, Memo to our FO, DRAFT A SG and secure another pick to get Moultrie...

Rivers/Ross/Lamb/Waiters get your favorite from who is left on draft day and then buy another pick (trade?) and grab Moultrie..

I think that must be way too much to ask, but it is worth dreaming about

I could not disagree with this more. I need to go watch some video on Moultrie, but if they really like him they should take him. He has great size and athleticism. His standing vertical leap was 12 '1". Passing on somebody you really like just because they don't play the position of greatest need is a huge mistake. As somebody else pointed out earlier, Morris is a backup forward. I think he can be a good backup forward, but he is not a starter on a really good team unless he is surrounded by All-Stars. I'm still happy with the Morris pick last year in that terrible draft.

Joe

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I could not disagree with this more. I need to go watch some video on Moultrie, but if they really like him they should take him. He has great size and athleticism. His standing vertical leap was 12 '1". Passing on somebody you really like just because they don't play the position of greatest need is a huge mistake. As somebody else pointed out earlier, Morris is a backup forward. I think he can be a good backup forward, but he is not a starter on a really good team unless he is surrounded by All-Stars. I'm still happy with the Morris pick last year in that terrible draft.

Joe

There are situations (ALA Minnesota) where when you spend two lottery picks on the exact same position in the same draft or consecitive drafts you really screwed up.. I have not been a Morris fan from the very beginning, but even I think it seems a bit premature to give up on him becoming a decent starter in the league...

ESPN Insider has a great point and insight into this situation

"...Suns general manager Lance Blanks indicated on Monday that team's current depth at big man would not prevent the Suns from drafting another one in Thursday night's draft. Nothing against Mr. Blanks or the Suns, but could all this be a smokescreen? After all, this is the time of year to use one. And, along those lines, this isn't the time to tip your hand.

We understand Blanks' philosophy of avoiding the trap of drafting for need over talent, but with the Suns at No. 13 in what's regarded as the deepest draft in years, impact guys at other positions would seem to be available for Phoenix. Whether it be cerebral floor general Kendall Marshall, regarded as the second-best point guard in the draft, or a wing like Washington's Terrence Ross or UConn's Jeremy Lamb, the Suns could fill a much bigger need for a player regarded as just as safe of a bet to become a NBA regular.

Marcin Gortat, Channing Frye, Hakim Warrick and last year's first-round pick Markieff Morris are all under contract, and Coro reports that the Suns have stated that they will match any offer sheet for restricted free agent Robin Lopez. Adding Moultrie would give the Suns six bigs, and would force the team to address their backcourt via free agency."

It is one thing to draft talent over need, it is another thing to draft a similar talent for a luxury position over a significant need, that is all I am saying..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Joe

bingo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are situations (ALA Minnesota) where when you spend two lottery picks on the exact same position in the same draft or consecitive drafts you really screwed up.. I have not been a Morris fan from the very beginning, but even I think it seems a bit premature to give up on him becoming a decent starter in the league...

ESPN Insider has a great point and insight into this situation

"...Suns general manager Lance Blanks indicated on Monday that team's current depth at big man would not prevent the Suns from drafting another one in Thursday night's draft. Nothing against Mr. Blanks or the Suns, but could all this be a smokescreen? After all, this is the time of year to use one. And, along those lines, this isn't the time to tip your hand.

We understand Blanks' philosophy of avoiding the trap of drafting for need over talent, but with the Suns at No. 13 in what's regarded as the deepest draft in years, impact guys at other positions would seem to be available for Phoenix. Whether it be cerebral floor general Kendall Marshall, regarded as the second-best point guard in the draft, or a wing like Washington's Terrence Ross or UConn's Jeremy Lamb, the Suns could fill a much bigger need for a player regarded as just as safe of a bet to become a NBA regular.

Marcin Gortat, Channing Frye, Hakim Warrick and last year's first-round pick Markieff Morris are all under contract, and Coro reports that the Suns have stated that they will match any offer sheet for restricted free agent Robin Lopez. Adding Moultrie would give the Suns six bigs, and would force the team to address their backcourt via free agency."

It is one thing to draft talent over need, it is another thing to draft a similar talent for a luxury position over a significant need, that is all I am saying..

dude, the Suns aren't in a luxury position at any position on the floor. They're looking at a major rebuild from the ground up and in that situation, you take the BPA. Moultrie might give the Suns six bigs, but only 1 of them has actually proven any ability to play in the league. the idea that we have "depth" as the article above states assumes quantity = quality. it doesn't. Just because we have a bunch of complete scrubs at the 4 position and one first year guy who showed very little doesn't mean that position should be ignored if the Suns think Moultrie has the goods to be an impact player.

we're not gonna rebuild this sucker with one draft, especially where we have the 13th pick. You get the best player you can, regardless of position and start the slow excruciating rebuilding process with your best foot forward. at least that's what I hope they do. doing anything would be insanity... thus, they'll probably do the exact opposite of what I want, just like they have been for the last couple years.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
dude, the Suns aren't in a luxury position at any position on the floor. They're looking at a major rebuild from the ground up and in that situation, you take the BPA. Moultrie might give the Suns six bigs, but only 1 of them has actually proven any ability to play in the league. the idea that we have "depth" as the article above states assumes quantity = quality. it doesn't. Just because we have a bunch of complete scrubs at the 4 position and one first year guy who showed very little doesn't mean that position should be ignored if the Suns think Moultrie has the goods to be an impact player.

we're not gonna rebuild this sucker with one draft, especially where we have the 13th pick. You get the best player you can, regardless of position and start the slow excruciating rebuilding process with your best foot forward. at least that's what I hope they do. doing anything would be insanity... thus, they'll probably do the exact opposite of what I want, just like they have been for the last couple years.

Exactly. It's laughable to say the Suns have a specific need. They need EVERYTHING.

A starting PG, SG, SF, PF. 4 of our 5 starting positions we need starting quality players for the future.

We don't need a position, we need young talent, far worse than any team in the league.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
dude, the Suns aren't in a luxury position at any position on the floor. They're looking at a major rebuild from the ground up and in that situation, you take the BPA.

There's really no argument to this. BPA is a no-brainer.

I still cant believe the Suns decided last summer to position themselves to be an old, bad team... and now we're drafting where the mediocre teams are drafting.

This teams execution and transition from being a quality playoff team('05 thru '09) to being relevant again has been as poorly managed as one could imagine.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's really no argument to this. BPA is a no-brainer.

I still cant believe the Suns decided last summer to position themselves to be an old, bad team... and now we're drafting where the mediocre teams are drafting.

This teams execution and transition from being a quality playoff team('05 thru '09) to being relevant again has been as poorly managed as one could imagine.

I think this may be the reason the Suns draft Moultrie, he is BPA. Also it really helps he can play both PF and center and he is very athletic. General rule bigs over smalls when everything is equal.

In regards to Marshall, the conversation got caught up up about his shooting only. He may be a good floor general but he cannot defend. Unless one thinks he is going to be another Steve Nash, the Suns need to pass on him at #13 unless they can get him later in the draft. I'd just as soon sign Felton.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Also it really helps he (Moultrie)can play both PF and center and he is very athletic.

2.3 rebounds averaging 24 minutes per game equates to neither a PF nor Center. Especially at Center weighing 233 lbs.

ASUCHRIS said:
Why would you need to trade Frye? He can also play backup center.
SOFT backup Center.

Ah, the legacy of the Suns. Soft or small at the power positions.

How to wear out Gortat. Play him as the only legitimate Big. Just as they did to Amar'e.

Small ball
Until
Next
Season

Then small ball again.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
2.3 rebounds averaging 24 minutes per game equates to neither a PF nor Center. Especially at Center weighing 233 lbs.

SOFT backup Center.

Ah, the legacy of the Suns. Soft or small at the power positions.

How to wear out Gortat. Play him as the only legitimate Big. Just as they did to Amar'e.

Small ball
Until
Next
Season

Then small ball again.

The 2.3 rebounds in 24 min. are Dion Waiter's numbers, not Moultrie.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moultrie averaged 10.5 rebounds last year in 38.5 minutes per game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moultrie averaged 10.5 rebounds last year in 38.5 minutes per game.

Exactly, as said before, he lead the SEC in rebounding. Rebounding usually carries over to the NBA.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a kick out of a article written by Paul Coro dated 6-26-12 at azcentral. It exemplifies the need for drafting BPA.

In 1984, Bobby Knight had just finished coaching Michael Jordan in the Olympic trials when he told a friend, Portland General Manager Stu Inman, that Jordan was the best player available in the NBA draft. Inman told Knight that he needed a center with the No. 2 pick.

"So play him at center," Knight said of Jordan to Inman, who drafted Sam Bowie.

No draft tale better exemplifies overemphasizing need in the draft, where ignoring a need now could mean a better asset down the road and addressing the need another way.

Well the Suns won't be in position to draft a Michael Jordan but they will be in position to draft BPA at #13. Let's hope they get it right.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/20120626phoenix-suns-looking-improve-talent-level.html

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. It's laughable to say the Suns have a specific need. They need EVERYTHING.

A starting PG, SG, SF, PF. 4 of our 5 starting positions we need starting quality players for the future.

We don't need a position, we need young talent, far worse than any team in the league.

I have no problem with the Suns drafting the bpa. The question is whether Moultrie is the bpa. Big men are almost always overvalued in the draft and when teams draft for need over bpa it is almost always a big over a small.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Moultrie seems interesting. Been watching some of his videos and his relentlessness reminds me of Amare when he came into the league.

Obviously that's not to say he'll ever be as good as Amare. But he definitely doesn't look soft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drYl3P4omzw

Last edited:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here is the issue.. If Moultrie was this sure fire BPA that had few red flags and was without question the BPA then I absolutely agree you take him..

Here is the issue.. He has SERIOUS red flags about him. He doesn't have a motor, scouts question his true dedication (Earl Clark anyone), he is 6'11 and athletic, yet he averaged LESS THAN A BLOCK A GAME.... And his rotation defense is as bad he it comes for someone that big and athletic, it goes back to lack of a motor/desire, which are two of the biggest red flags you can have as a high NBA Draft pick..

He has some good things about him too, but when you hear time and time again he may not get much better than he already is at the moment, it is a scary propitstion. The bottom line is athletic 6'11 PFs dont last outside the top 5 unless there are serious issues, and Moultrie has them. Will he turn out to be great? Maybe, but he is a high risk pick, when there are other options with just as high of ceiling and arguably higher floor than Moultrie.. That is all I am saying..

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Some of that stuff is overblown.

Moultrie played on a dysfunctional team alongside Renardo Sidney.

Watched the Bucks workout video and their guy said Moultrie's biggest plus he has shown was his defense and blocking shots in their workout. Who knows..

Still hope our plan is to get someone at #13 and then trade to acquire 1 or 2 of the later prospects such as Moultrie, Marshall, Sullinger, QMiller, Wroten..

Although there is some talk Moultrie could go as high as #9 to the Pistons and that he is a top candidate for the Sixers at #15.

I like Moultrie better than Markieff as a prospect. I also like Jason Thompson for the right price as a free agent. That would give the Suns 2 legit 6'11 Power Forwards on the roster and allow them to possibly package Markieff and Frye to rebuild.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Btw it looks like there is a very real possibility of Andre Drummond dropping as far as #9.

If Drummond is still on the board at #5, #6, #7 and #8 the Suns better make every call they can to get that pick.

Drummond is the only other potential franchise changer in this draft and really should be the #2 pick. The question about his motor are just silly. He is simply a good kid and well the 2nd youngest player in the draft.

Imo Markieff + #13 should be able to get us up a few spots. Or Dudley and #13 or Gortat.

Would Toronto trade #8 for Gortat? Detroit #9? Portland #6? I would think there is a chance. Maybe even Golden State.. they have a need for a player like Dudley as does Sacramento.

Gortat, Dudley # 13 for Evans and #5? Evans has very low value I think.

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is absolutely scared of the team slinslin would put together if he were in charge? ;)

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Baylors system was a disaster that is why I was shocked that PJIII did not come out last year.

It was that bad and did not get better without Lacedarius.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05