Who will win the west?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YOU keep bringing up Splitter! To be honest I can't understand why you are so obsessed with this guy, especially since you admitted you don't watch Euro ball. It's just strange. You decided to hate on a random player and had bad luck because he turned out to be good enough to come to the nba?

Ummmm... I remember you hyping the crap out of this guy. You saying how good he was going to be blah blah blah. He will never be a star in this league so who cares? Also, who gives a crap about Euro ball? Just because a guy can play in that league doesn't mean squat. We have had enough of those guys on our rosters over the years to prove that euro guys don't always translate into good NBA players. Does it happen? Yes but more often than not it fails.

I question your stance that because some guy from a euro club or NBA D League makes an NBA roster that it automatically means "good enough". I can name guys up and down almost every NBA roster that probably really are not NBA calibur players. They are bodies to fill out roster spots and help in practice.

I really find it hard to take most of your posts seriously. I think you do that on purpose to get a rise out of people because it would be too ridiculous for you to believe half the stuff you shovel here.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess when Fish hits a shot with .6 seconds left before he receives the pass it's a great play but when Dice makes a tip in in the last second it's a fluke? Take off your Faker-tinted glasses please.

uh... no. fisher's .4 shot was one of the greatest fluke plays in history. ain't no "faker-tinted glasses" here dude. I'm a DIE-HARD Suns fan who HATES the Lakers more than I hate the spurs. I'm just realistic... just as I was during the Suns Spurs days when i never thought we would win there either... except for last year when i thought we had our first legit shot.

The Spurs have beaten the Fakers in the POs in the past but of course not this particular Faker team since the POs hasn't started.

oh come on... you're not really gonna try to get away with this are you? they haven't beaten this core Laker team. they got blown off the court in 5 games in '08 and haven't played them otherwise.

Consequently the Fakers have never beaten this Spurs team in the POs either. Last time we met the Fakers in the POs was in 08 and after that we have brought in some young guys you might have heard of.

we're talking core versus core and if you don't get that, you're either blissfully naive or just avoiding. bringing up what the spurs did 9 years ago against a completely different Laker team has no bearing on jack squat. bringing it up is stupid... but trying to then justify it after you're called on it is ridiculous.

Did you notice how well Blair played against the Fakers in the december game? (15 rebounds and 17 p).

you mean when Bynum had just come back and was still a shell of himself? yeah, i noticed that. how did he play against the Lakers since they've been healthy?

It's not all about size you know.

you're right... but when a team has SOOOOO much size that is ALSO extremely talented... AND has the best closer in the game, going up against a team with basically zero size, it's too a steep a mountain to climb.

So you do think you can predict the future... Please use your supernatural abilities wisely mighty one.

ok... here's how i'll use my supernatural powers wisely. Let's make a bet: if the Lakers play in the Spurs playoffs,. i will refrain from EVER posting on this board (a board which hosts Cards/Suns fans, of which I'm a die hard fan of both) if the Lakers lose and you will do the same if the Spurs lose. that's how sure I am of what happens in that mismatch. you game?

it's not about predicting the future... it's about knowing basketball and having an objective opinion... which you don't. i have no dog in this fight. i live in la and LOATHE Laker fans and their team. have since 1988. I would be the happiest person in the world if the Spurs beat the Lakers because then i wouldn't have to hear my douchebag roommates celebrate. i just don't see anyway (barring a major injury) that happens.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its gotta be the Lakers. No one can stop this man once its playoff time.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its gotta be the Lakers. No one can stop this man once its playoff time.

You must be registered for see images attach

actually, no one can stop him plus the biggest, most athletic front line in NBA history. dude's an incredible baller but he's playing with a ridiculous amount of talent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually, no one can stop him plus the biggest, most athletic front line in NBA history. dude's an incredible baller but he's playing with a ridiculous amount of talent.

It's not as big or as athletic but I'd take the consistency and smarts of Bird, Mchale and Parish over Odom, Gasol and Bynum. Not that I wouldn't love to have the Lakers trio in Phoenix. I wonder if there's a Suns homer that would take Hill, Frye and Gortat over that group?

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not as big or as athletic but I'd take the consistency and smarts of Bird, Mchale and Parish over Odom, Gasol and Bynum.

agreed... that's the best front line in NBA history. but this one, when healthy, is probably second (or at least top 5) and first bar none in today's game.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's not as big or as athletic but I'd take the consistency and smarts of Bird, Mchale and Parish over Odom, Gasol and Bynum. Not that I wouldn't love to have the Lakers trio in Phoenix. I wonder if there's a Suns homer that would take Hill, Frye and Gortat over that group?

Steve
Hill is a SF...we are talkin about Odom, Gasol & Bynum are all PFs or Cs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Bird, McHale and Parish rule. IMO, no doubt about it. It's not even close.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
i live in la and LOATHE Laker fans and their team. have since 1988
Hey, pretty soon you'll have three NBA teams in the L.A./Orange County vicinity. Maybe the Staples Center Juniors and Anaheim Royals can combine their rosters into one better team.

AzStevenCal said:
It's not as big or as athletic but I'd take the consistency and smarts of Bird, McHale and Parish over Odom, Gasol and Bynum. Not that I wouldn't love to have the Lakers trio in Phoenix.

I wonder if there's a Suns homer that would take Hill, Frye and Gortat over that group?
Speaking as a frustrated Suns homer, um . . . no! :)

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
You've devolved into self-caricature. Someone could hack your account and make posts pretending to be an exaggerated version of you in order to make fun of you, and it would be impossible to tell the difference. Maybe it has already happened.

So why did you decide to hate on a player you didn't watch play?

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Duncan down, Spurs are done imo. i doubt they will make it out of the first round without Duncan.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Bad news for the Spurs but good news is that Duncan should be back in time for the POs. I heard he is expected to miss two weeks. Also the Spurs have a very deep team and it gives some other guys PT. Splitter and Novak (!) played very well the last two games (if you don't believe me please watch the games). Spurs have a tough schedule and will lose a couple of more games with Duncan out but should hold onto HCA.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
agreed... that's the best front line in NBA history. but this one, when healthy, is probably second (or at least top 5) and first bar none in today's game.

What about the Duncan/Robinson combo? I think you are overrating this Fakers team and especially Bynum. Duncan and Robinson were way better than any of the Lakers-big men.

As for your proposed bet, nice attempt of a step-back jumper :) Let's make a bet that actually reflects your statement that the Spurs have NO CHANCE of beating the Fakers.

If the Fakers win the series I will give you 10 dollars. If the Spurs win you will give me 100.000 dollars. Deal?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the Duncan/Robinson combo? I think you are overrating this Fakers team and especially Bynum. Duncan and Robinson were way better than any of the Lakers-big men.

As for your proposed bet, nice attempt of a step-back jumper :) Let's make a bet that actually reflects your statement that the Spurs have NO CHANCE of beating the Fakers.

If the Fakers win the series I will give you 10 dollars. If the Spurs win you will give me 100.000 dollars. Deal?

You should have him give you 100.0000 dollars or maybe even 100.00000 dollars. As long as you keep adding your zeroes to the right of the decimal point you shouldn't have any problems. Also, tossing in the major injuries caveat is pretty consistent with the way people on this planet talk when comparing teams. IF the Lakers have to play without Kobe, Bynum, Odom and Gasol (or even some combination of them) it is no longer the same team.

Duncan and Robinson were great together and for a brief moment in time (when Sean was still playing) they gave you a tremendous front line. I guess you could argue that for one season they were as good as anyone (other than the Celtics trio). I still consider the trio of Odom, Gasol and Bynum to be a stronger front line overall (yes, I know that Odom doesn't play as much SF any more) if your 3 best are paired against them.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You should have him give you 100.0000 dollars or maybe even 100.00000 dollars. As long as you keep adding your zeroes to the right of the decimal point you shouldn't have any problems.

He's from Europe (or perhaps South America?), where the functions of periods and commas in numbers are switched from how they are used in the United States.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's from Europe (or perhaps South America?), where the functions of periods and commas in numbers are switched from how they are used in the United States.

So you're saying he's really NOT from Mars???

Steve

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
You should have him give you 100.0000 dollars or maybe even 100.00000 dollars. As long as you keep adding your zeroes to the right of the decimal point you shouldn't have any problems. Also, tossing in the major injuries caveat is pretty consistent with the way people on this planet talk when comparing teams. IF the Lakers have to play without Kobe, Bynum, Odom and Gasol (or even some combination of them) it is no longer the same team.

Duncan and Robinson were great together and for a brief moment in time (when Sean was still playing) they gave you a tremendous front line. I guess you could argue that for one season they were as good as anyone (other than the Celtics trio). I still consider the trio of Odom, Gasol and Bynum to be a stronger front line overall (yes, I know that Odom doesn't play as much SF any more) if your 3 best are paired against them.

Steve

First part of your post I just found strange at first but thanks to elindholm for the clarification. In Europe 100.000 means one-hundred thousand and when we use decimals we write for example 99,9.

Second part of your post I found decent but still a bit strange. Do you really think that Bynum is better than David Robinson, Gasol is better than Duncan and Odom is better than Sean? You must be from planet Hollywood then :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the Duncan/Robinson combo?

that was a very good one-two punch... but that was ll it was. there was no depth behind them, which is what I think separates this Laker troika from the Spurs.

I think you are overrating this Fakers team and especially Bynum. Duncan and Robinson were way better than any of the Lakers-big men.

Robinson was a very good player in their first title run, but he was a shell of himself by his second and wasn't close to the impact that Pau makes at both ends of the floor.

uh, how is me offering to NEVER post on MY board that I ALWAYS post in in multiple different areas a step back jumper. you come here once in a while to talk about one subject. i come here to talk about every subject on every part of the board. I'm pretty sure that's a bold bet on my part showing I'm willing to bet my entire message board experience... across every sport because I'm am so certain you guys have no chance in hell to beat the Lakers. seems pretty fair to me.

besides, no one on the internet EVER pays sports bets. a banning bet is tangible. i've got a lot more to loose on my end then you do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First part of your post I just found strange at first but thanks to elindholm for the clarification. In Europe 100.000 means one-hundred thousand and when we use decimals we write for example 99,9.

Second part of your post I found decent but still a bit strange. Do you really think that Bynum is better than David Robinson, Gasol is better than Duncan and Odom is better than Sean? You must be from planet Hollywood then :)

is Sean Elliot, he of a whopping 11 ppg and 4 rebounds really even a blip in this discussion, especially in comparison to Odom who averages... ah forget it. Sean Elliot... come on now.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
is Sean Elliot, he of a whopping 11 ppg and 4 rebounds really even a blip in this discussion, especially in comparison to Odom who averages... ah forget it. Sean Elliot... come on now.

Maybe not "Sean Elliot", but Sean Elliott was a great player, one of my favourites of all time. I'm not very good at spelling since English is my second language but at SpursTalk if you spell it Sean Elliot the text automatically substitutes to something like "f...k the lakers" (It's true).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

David Robinson was still very good but on his way down, Tim Duncan was already pretty good but on his way up and Sean Elliott was a shell of the player he had been. Taken all in their prime, SA's trio wins hands down but Sean (because of age and illness) compared to Odom is a huge advantage to LA.

Steve

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BTW, I'd have probably teased him anyway (he is here for our entertainment, right?) but I wasn't aware of this difference. Thanks.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe not "Sean Elliot", but Sean Elliott was a great player, one of my favourites of all time. I'm not very good at spelling since English is my second language but at SpursTalk if you spell it Sean Elliot the text automatically substitutes to something like "f...k the lakers" (It's true).

a great player? good lord. you really can't be objective at all, can you? i know who Sean Elliott is. I watched him throughout his college career at Zona where he was my favorite player. he was a very good player early in his career but a shell of himself by the time the Spurs won their first title averaging a whopping 11 and 4 and was completely shot after that. he's not even in the conversation with any of those other guys.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
a great player? ...a shell of himself by the time the Spurs won their first title averaging a whopping 11 and 4 and was completely shot after that. he's not even in the conversation with any of those other guys.

The above is just sooo wrong. He practically won us our first title in 99. Odom is not worth mentioning in the same sentence as the great Sean Elliott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EL38SKyX8

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05